Clear All

Does this automatically install to C: ?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Build 2180 is the final.
      Cheers, mate, I *ahem* found it.

Comment

/usr/local/linux/sucks
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

OK, I hope this will help some systems that are plagued with spyware and virus problems, with users who don't really use security.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

There's the Mac user logic:

$0.00 is overpriced, while $129 is justifiable.
            Not quite: $129 is justified for a new OS with hundreds of new features.

$0.00 is what Apple charges for security updates (the few that are needed).

Selling an OS that works, has no virus threats in the wild and needs very little in the way of patching: Mac

Selling a swiss cheese, virus ridden OS that still doesn't work properly after four years: Windows.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

i'm not having any problems after four years with my windows xp install...

it's not virus-ridden either, and doesn't have spyware, either.
              B♭3

Comment

Not the Mac <--> Windows thing again...

Please
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Mac rules! Apple can suck my dick!

yeah I know exactly what im talking about! PWNZED!
                  :-p

Comment

Linux sucks? No way...its far better, I don't have to constantly get patches, reboot my PC, content with games, actually immune to 99.999% of viruses....(yes, there is one or two worms for Linux, but very rare for 3% of the market)...so hah, beat that!

i'm not having any problems after four years with my windows xp install...

it's not virus-ridden either, and doesn't have spyware, either.

You probably have some, but its secretly lurking.

Like the Magic Lantern virus the FBI installs on a lot of computers to "monitor" you for "safety" purposes. Guess this is one of the ways for pre-emptive strike, so they can find out whether you are a thought criminal for posting or spreading "bad thoughts" like dissesion on the net.

Selling an OS that works, has no virus threats in the wild and needs very little in the way of patching: Mac

Mac programs usually aren't open source, have no way for kernel upgrades (non critical, but many times nice, to keep up with actually useful features)....

Use Linux! Same stability, actually truly immune to most viruses since the networking component is IN the kernel, and not fragmented and cannot be hijacked, with iptables (a connection firewall, with masquerading capability) to boot.....

LINUX!!!
                    Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                    The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                    Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                    We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      Not quite: $129 is justified for a new OS with hundreds of new features.

$0.00 is what Apple charges for security updates (the few that are needed).
                      This isn't just a collection of security patches, silly.

In fact, it was such a big update that MS pulled most of the developers off Longhorn for an entire year to work on it...

Wait, how often does Apple usually release OS X updates? Yearly?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
                        Linux sucks? No way...its far better, I don't have to constantly get patches
                        I would kill for some patches that would let me install Linux. Linux won't install on my desktop or laptop -- being only a year old, it's too bleeding edge.

By the way, you do have to get patches if you want to stay secure. For example, the six libpng vulnerabilities that were announced the other day. The problem is, no one really talks about them (there are actually WAY more Linux program vulnerabilities, just less publicity about them in general, and less people looking to exploit them).

reboot my PC
                        I leave my PC on 24/7 and I only reboot about once a month, for the security updates. It's not too bad, really,

content with games
                        A lot of people want more than TuxRacer and a cheap Civ clone that looks worse than Civ1.

I actually immune to 99.999% of viruses....(yes, there is one or two worms for Linux, but very rare for 3% of the market)...so hah, beat that!
                        I've never, ever, had a virus on my Windows computers. And I've been using the internet since 91/92. I'm "immune" to 99.999% of viruses because 99% of them rely on social engineering, and the other 1% are caught by standard A/V software.

Like the Magic Lantern virus the FBI installs on a lot of computers to "monitor" you for "safety" purposes. Guess this is one of the ways for pre-emptive strike, so they can find out whether you are a thought criminal for posting or spreading "bad thoughts" like dissesion on the net.
                        You're a model for Linux zealots everywhere -- God bless you and your tinfoil-hat-wearing kin for giving Linux a bad name.

It's also awesome how you'll spread FUD like this, then blast "M$" for spreading FUD by saying Windows is cheaper than running Linux in the longrun.

Mac programs usually aren't open source, have no way for kernel upgrades (non critical, but many times nice, to keep up with actually useful features)....
                        Open Source means jack **** for security -- it's even more obvious now. How many vulnerabilities has Firefox had in the past two months? Here's a hint: twice as many as IE.

And I love Firefox.

Let's own up to it -- Open Source software is not inherently more secure than Proprietary software. Further, security through paranoia is far better than assuming you're safe.

Use Linux! Same stability, actually truly immune to most viruses since the networking component is IN the kernel, and not fragmented and cannot be hijacked, with iptables (a connection firewall, with masquerading capability) to boot.....
                        ROTFLMAO...

You have no idea how ridiculous this sounds to anyone with the most basic OS knowledge.

How the f*ck does having networking components in the kernel make it immune to viruses?! Hey, do you know which other OSes have networking components in the kernel? Windows NT, BSD, OS X...

What does "not fragmented" mean? Surely it doesn't mean that Linux is not fragmented, in the sense that there aren't hundreds of distros with similar yet painfully different configurations?

"Cannot be hijacked" -- the hell it can't, there are many Linux root vuln's for one, plus every system in existence is vulnerable to the most effective virus -- social engineering.

The iptables/masq features are standard fare as well.

Kudos to a stunning post.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Mac and Linux have low numbers of viruses written for them due to their low market share compared to windows.
                          They also have low numbers of games available for the same reason.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

They also have low numbers of games available for the same reason.
                            Actually, its "below average"...if you didn't know, a whole arrival of Linux ports of intense 3D games like SMAC, Savage, Simcity and the like (as well as somewhat like a myriad of them)....so no, they don't have low numbers of games.

But Linux has more market share than Mac, and thats at least 3.5%...now, pray tell me, thats very significant, so shouldn't there at least be 1% of the number of Windows viruses?

then blast "M$" for spreading FUD by saying Windows is cheaper than running Linux in the longrun.

Ooh, zero dollars on tech support, software spending, and hmm....I'd say TCO is quite cheaper. Unless you're so petty to count the 5 dollars worth of CD's I burnt...

A lot of people want more than TuxRacer and a cheap Civ clone that looks worse than Civ1.

Smax/smac? Freecraft? Bzflag? Savage? Tuxracer, yes....have you heard of Loki? They are one of the many porting companies that have recently brought a flood of games in to Linux.

Open Source means jack **** for security -- it's even more obvious now. How many vulnerabilities has Firefox had in the past two months? Here's a hint: twice as many as IE.

Initially, but peer review roots them out faster. Vulnerabilities on firefox? I don't see them as often (well generally because firefox on Linux is hard to hijack).

How the f*ck does having networking components in the kernel make it immune to viruses?! Hey, do you know which other OSes have networking components in the kernel? Windows NT, BSD, OS X...

Yes, you mentioned Unix components. As for Windows, they seem to be fragmented into dll's....hey at least the kernel can have them built-in.

What does "not fragmented" mean? Surely it doesn't mean that Linux is not fragmented, in the sense that there aren't hundreds of distros with similar yet painfully different configurations?

Like how the kernel in Win32 is fragmented into io.sys, msdos.sys, kernel32.dll....

"Cannot be hijacked" -- the hell it can't, there are many Linux root vuln's for one, plus every system in existence is vulnerable to the most effective virus -- social engineering.

As of kernel 2.6.7, I cannot see any root vulnerabilities anywhere. Any root vulnerabilities are normally fixed within a few hours.

And the social engineering includes what? Paranoia? You know, I want to visit any site I want, and not be oversuspicious at any time. Even generally clean sites (ie. geocities) has been known, when I used Windows to infect my PC through general loopholes.
                            Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                            The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                            Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                            We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
                                But Linux has more market share than Mac, and thats at least 3.5%...now, pray tell me, thats very significant, so shouldn't there at least be 1% of the number of Windows viruses?
                                The stupidest logic I've ever heard -- virus writers write to cause damage and to get famous for doing so. Why would they bother writing a virus for an OS with 2.2% marketshare?

Ooh, zero dollars on tech support, software spending, and hmm....I'd say TCO is quite cheaper. Unless you're so petty to count the 5 dollars worth of CD's I burnt...
                                See, there's your problem. Windows didn't cost me a damn penny. And it's legal. Didn't even need to burn a CD!

Smax/smac? Freecraft? Bzflag? Savage? Tuxracer, yes....have you heard of Loki? They are one of the many porting companies that have recently brought a flood of games in to Linux.
                                Ohhh...another great argument. Let's list a bunch of 5 year old games, then a company that went bankrupt. You did know that Loki went under because the game market for Linux is not supportable, right?

Initially, but peer review roots them out faster.
                                This is a myth that is easily debunked by common sense and reality...

Vulnerabilities on firefox? I don't see them as often (well generally because firefox on Linux is hard to hijack).
                                That's bull**** -- since Firefox 0.9 was released, there have been 6 security vulnerabilities fixed in it. It was released just over a month ago. And yes, they affect Linux as well.

Yes, you mentioned Unix components. As for Windows, they seem to be fragmented into dll's....hey at least the kernel can have them built-in.
                                What's the point? Linux has a "monlithic" kernel -- which is something that was declared obsolete by researchers and academics over a decade ago. It's a horrible architecture, everyone else is onto microkernels because they scale and port far better.

It doesn't matter if it's static or DLL, in the end it's running in kernel userspace... dynamic is just the better, more efficient approach.

Like how the kernel in Win32 is fragmented into io.sys, msdos.sys, kernel32.dll....
                                Err...you're taking an advantage of Windows (modularity) and trying to make it out to be a disadvantage. Read up on monolithic kernels versus microkernels -- Linus and his cronies are the only people left in the world who advocate monolithic kernels, and that's just because he didn't know any better when he started it as a student, and it's too late to change it now.

It's an advantage to have a dynamic/modular/"fragmented" operating system.

As of kernel 2.6.7, I cannot see any root vulnerabilities anywhere. Any root vulnerabilities are normally fixed within a few hours.
                                I don't see any root vulnerabilities for Windows XP SP2, either. Don't see your point.

Comment

Working...
                                X