Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who's the greatest athlete of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Gretzky
    2. Bobby Orr
    3. Sawchuk
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

This thorpe guy... isn't much of a looker, is he?
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

Peep it. Here is ESPN's list.

Included are Bo Jackson, Jim Thorpe, Jackie Robinson.

Did you know Jackie Robinson lettered in 4 different sports at UCLA? The only athelete in UCLA history to do so:

Paying tribute to the late Dave DeBusschere, Page 2's Jeff Merron lists the greatest multi-sport athletes of all-time.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
          He was an original True Player.
          Attached Files
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I'd say, it would have ot be a decathalon champ. That is a full rnage of skills.
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

You racist...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

excuse me?
                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                Drake Tungsten
                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by dejon

You know what I mean.

Doh! Sorry, I must have missed them.

Question on hockey vs. basketball vs. American football: If they all require similar athleticism with regards to endurance, strength, athleticism, etc, doesn't hockey get the extra nod for performing on skates?
                  It does from me, but mainly because I don't skate all that well. Each of the sports you mention has some unique challenge that seperates it from the others.

Football has huge differences in positional responsibility and from that often very differently sized players. It also features both quickness and speed (as does soccer) because of the large field. It also features strength / mass in a way that is only exceeded by sumo along the line of scrimmage.

Basketball tends to feature freakishly tall people (with very few exceptions) who are nonetheless able to sprint the floor back and forth relentlessly in order to either throw the ball through the hoop from a fairly long way out, or bash themselves inside in order to jam it home. It features quickness over speed. The attributes for the sort of endurance and quickness necessary in basketball tend to be much more easily acquired by persons of medium or short stature, which makes it all the more impressive when I see someone like Shaq make a touch shot after tearing up and down the court for quite a few minutes beforehand.

Hockey players tend to vary less from one another in size, and tend to be more normally sized than in the aforementioned sports, though they definitely seem to be getting bigger these days. Like basketball due to the small playing surface and certain limitations on just who can hit whom (and when) quickness is king along with agility. Size alone cannot make the difference, though among players of equal skill size is an advantage as is strength. Skating skill is a huge factor, as is the ability to handle one's stick (rimshot!). This makes hockey more difficult for the recreational minded player to pick up on a whim, and limits the professional ranks to people who have had some experience of the game previously. Natural athletes are not going to simply strap on the skates and compete effectively their first time out anymore than they are going to do so in baseball.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                    excuse me?
                    You treated a person of semi-color in the same way that you would anyone, which makes you a racist these days. As Drake is a person of semi-color himself (as am I for that matter) he is enjoying his unique inborn genetic privilige to castigate you shamelessly. Just laugh at him and be sure to thank him for the free land and the get out of genocide free card.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• What Sikander said...

BTW, I'm hardly a person of semi-color. I have a small amount of Native American blood, but I would never claim to be Native American for any reason save scoring cheap points in a pointless internet debate.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Good blood to have, I rather think, Drake.

Does your family history/legends run to the circumstances in which you managed to come by it?

Comment

• The story is sketchy at best. Just know that a great-great grandmother on my mother's side was Native American. Illinois tribe, IIRC. Wish I knew more, but I don't.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• that's about how my family is. I think mine was a great grandmother who was native american- as my family hasn't been in the U.S. that long.

Comment

Working...
                            X