Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who's the greatest athlete of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who's the greatest athlete of all time?

I can't even touch this question. I'm probably not qualified to say as I really only watch one sport. futbol americano

So my answer would probably be a quarterback or running back.

Or how about the guy who ran the very first marathon . He died after running it, but he served his purpose.

Jim Thorpe
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I am.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Jim Thorpe.

Screw ESPN and their "Greatest Athlete of the 20th Century." aka Mike Jordan. ESPN is such a sell out. The only guy I trust from there is Dan Patrick, barely.
        I never know their names, But i smile just the same
        New faces...Strange places,
        Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
        -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

C B Fry.

Captain of the English cricket team- his first-class batting average was over 50. Played football for England too. Played for Southampton in the 1902 FA Cup Final. Broke the world long jump record in 1892 (it stood for 23 years).

Also a top golfer, swimmer and boxer. In fact, he was so successful at absolutely everything he did, that the Albanians asked him to be their king.

After he had passed his seventieth birthday, he one day entered his club, saw his friend Denzil Batchelor, and said he had done most things but was now sighing for a new world to conquer, and proposed to interest himself in racing, attach himself to a stable, and then set up on his own. And Batchelor summed up his genius in a flash of wit: "What as, Charles? Trainer, jockey, or horse?"
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

You just cannot isolate any one athlete to the greatest. Is Michael Schumaker greater than Pele? Is Ali greater than Abebe Bikila? What about those in ping pong, archery, diving, or bobsled?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Real athletes play multiple sprts UR. Like Jim Thorpe the greatest guy athlete ever.
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Ah, a few more.

C B Fry was also a top yachtsman, sculler, tennis player, javelinnist, hunter, fisher. Also a writer, wit, raconteur, politician, diplomat and Royal Navy captain.

Smartarse.

Comment

That Greek dude that did the long jump and jumped so far he broke his ankles

Back in the day they used to carry weights during the long jump to propel themselves farther
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                    C B Fry.

Captain of the English cricket team- his first-class batting average was over 50. Played football for England too. Played for Southampton in the 1902 FA Cup Final. Broke the world long jump record in 1892 (it stood for 23 years).

Also a top golfer, swimmer and boxer. In fact, he was so successful at absolutely everything he did, that the Albanians asked him to be their king.
                    The Almighty... a true English hero... and also a snob and self-promoter

Comment

Cassius Clay
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Ronnie O'Sullivan.

I've not seen a more difficult game to perfect than snooker. How many 147s
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Randy Couture. Most of you wouldn't know his athletic abilities, which is a shame, but he is a GREAT athlete bar none plus he still keeps expanding to new sports, like eco challenge at the age of over 40 and still keeps rocking. And is the former middle weight champion from just few months ago until he lost it due to freakish accident. He'll get it back.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

"Randy Couture"? You're taking the piss, surely. If you're going to make up limp-wristed names why not go hog-wild and select "Mimsy Touchbum"?

Comment

making fun of Randy Couture should be illegal! He's a true champ.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X