Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are cattle an endangered species??
    No, and what's your point?

Why is killing a member of an endangered species worse than killing a member of a non-endangered species?

In any case, though, thanks for proving my point - you obviously don't think that animals actually have rights on an individual basis. Otherwise, you couldn't make the "endangered species" argument. Now, the most you can say is that you think animals have some sort of "collective rights". And I wonder how that argument goes? A cow doesn't have a right to be alive, but by God the cow species has a right to exist?
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

David. That's pretty good.

But, then, isn't that what the collectivists argue? "You don't have any right to live, but by God, your type do!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

If the seals being harvested are not in danger of extinction, and the harvesting is done faithfully within the spirit of regulations to preserve their natural population, I suppose there is no serious harm.

Seals are absolutely nowhere near being an endangered species. There have been actually calls for a seal cull ( killing for no reason other than to reduce the population) so that the fishery can rebound. In concept its not much different than trapping wolves in areas where other animals are raised. However a number of groups have attempted to find markets for various seal products. Sealskin boots are actually pretty great for example. It gets funny though since the more markets you find, the more likely some group will try to target you. THis happened a few years ago when some sealers found a market for seal penises in Asia-- The wildlife groups jumped all over this portraying the hunt as one to provide seal penises only and totally ignoring the other uses for the carcass--

Given that large areas of the east coast of Canada has not permitted regular cod-fishing for almost 10 years, I tend to think the "fishers" of eastern canada have been doing their part in trying to conserve the stock. If the seals could be convinced to take as few fish as the fisherPEOPLE, then we might see a revitalized fish stock
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
          Are cattle an endangered species??
          No but neither are seals. We've got tons of them. As predators their population naturally increases until they have consumed most of the prey after which the predator’s population decreases. Since we are trying to rebuild fish stocks wouldn't it be better to limit the population of predators so that fish populations can recover more quickly?
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

anyone remember the santa scenario in Civ2 MGE?
            Attached Files
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

CHRISTMAS IS PURE UNADULTERATED EVIL! IT IS THE WORK OF SATAN. WHY SHOULD JESUS GET A BIGGER BIRTHDAY PARTY THAN ME? YAY! LETS SPEND ALL OUR MONEY ON POINTLESS PRESENTS THAT GET THROWN IN THE BIN, BUY STUPID RECORDS (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, THE DARKNESS) AND PUT ON INHUMAN AMOUNTS OF WEIGHT WHILE WE PAY LIP SERVICE TO THE SUFFERING IN THE WORLD, SIMULTANEOUSLY KILLING OURSELVES WITH CHEAP COGNAC!

CHRISTMAS SUCKS! CHRISTMAS MUST DIE!

unless Star Wars is on.. that would appease me.
              Last edited by Whaleboy; November 30, 2003, 16:27.
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                does anyone else see the irony in a christian holiday using a pagan symbol (santa claus)??
                It was made to replace a pagan festival so that the heathens could convert easier, so it makes sense to me.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Where can I find that Christmas scenario? Looks like a hoot.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So did we ever figure out when the epiphony which Che spoke about was? I'm just trying to tie up lose threads before New Years.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                    X