Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Dems are barking up the wrong tree.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not say there doing weel YET.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

again, I know of know evidence showing non-voters are different in ideological stance or partisan affiliation than voters.
      Statistics have shown for years that registered Republicans turn out to vote with a higher percentage more consistently across the nation than to registered Democrats.

Registered Republicans are also more likely to timely renew or reregister if they move than are registered Democrats.

Both of these data are obtainable from voter registration databases.

With respect to non-registered voters, you're stuck with opinion polls, etc., so your sample size is a lot less, and margin for error a lot more, but are you going to seriously claim that Robertsonesque social conservatives, for example, are as common in the group of adults who are elegible, but don't bother registering to vote, as they are in registered voters who actually turn out every election?
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Watching the Dems play fundraising and ethical games, then watching the Republicans do it, is like watching a middle school intramural basketball game with the kids who didn't get picked for any of the other teams, vs. watching the NBA championships.

Uh, so who is "nastier"?

If the Repubs are bad, it's because they've trampled on by the foots of Giants (Rostenkowski, LBJ, Tip O'Neill) and have learned their 40-year long lesson while the other side grew complacent and lost their edge (and their leaders).

Comment

Or maybe it's just cuz the same people switched to the Repugs.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Watching the Dems play fundraising and ethical games, then watching the Republicans do it, is like watching a middle school intramural basketball game with the kids who didn't get picked for any of the other teams, vs. watching the NBA championships.

Uh, so who is "nastier"?

That would depend on what the definition of "is" is.
            Do you mean "nasty" as in having the most impact, or nasty as in "crude and amateurish."
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I'm just trying to figure who are the Spurs and who are the lady Fighting Tigers of Skokie (IL) Middle School in your analogy.

Comment

Re: "dingbat" - oh, I just can't bear the pain

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

You might "win". If you ever had the huevos to stand up to me face to face, honey, I'd fall down laughing so hard that I'd probably end up with a hernia. And if you stayed at least ten feet away from me the whole time, so I couldn't get a hand around your scrawny little neck, you could semi-rightly claim that it was you who put me down there. Other than that, you'd be SOL.
                And you just have to rub it in...

For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                  I'm just trying to figure who are the Spurs and who are the lady Fighting Tigers of Skokie (IL) Middle School in your analogy.
                  The Republicans are the Spurs, of course - they've got slick and dirty, plausibly deniable "no laws were broken" politicking down to a science that most Dems couldn't even dream of. It's like a bogus real estate development limited partnership, compared to knocking off convenience stores.

BTW, since I didn't want to rub in my ability to post in closed threads, your posts aren't normally long enough to parse.

Comment

Re: Why the Dems are barking up the wrong tree.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

There seems to be two points which all of the Democratic candidates running for President seem to be focusing on 1) Bush lied about Iraq & isn't doing a good job supervising the occupation, and 2) He's done a poor job managing the nation's economy. I'd say both are true but #1 doesn't seem to get any traction with voters and it ends up making the Dems look whiners who have nothing positive to add. Seven of the candidates basically say they'd do the same thing which Bush is currently doing (i.e. stay the course and work towards building a democratic western leaning Iraq) with the others say we should drop everything and run. Polls show most Americas think Iraq will become an even bigger problem if the US doesn't try to finish what it started and the seven who agree with Bush aren't going to win votes by claiming to be proto-Bushes.

So far the only issue which has been gaining traction is the economic issue. Unfortunately, the economy is now coming around with unexpected strength and though none of it has to do with Bush's tax cuts (since most of his tax cuts haven't even occured yet) there is no doubt Bush will get up and try to claim he's policy is what fixed the economy (instead of end of an economic cycle which most economist say is responsible for the cyclical upswing).

So here's the question: If you were a candidate which issues would you highlight and who would you show that you are better and have a different vision then Bush? I really do think Bush's tax and spend policies and sky high debts are truly bad for our country but I believe the American voter is to stupid to care about such unexciting things as the national debt, bad tax policies, or over commitment of military forces. How do you get voters attention?
                    You know what . . . . .

I can't wait until you leave "forever."

joking
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How would I neutralise the Dems?

Start with the most solidly Republican voting bloc of prolifers. Just talk about the partial birth abortion ban and leave it at that.

Che talks about a small minority, and he is right. The Republicans aren't stupid enough to alienate these voters.

As for the rest, one issue won't crystallise the voters. He would have to focus on seeing Iraq through to the end, why not with a quip from Kennedy, 'we will pay any price?' Smaller government and the tax cut.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The sad thing is if the Dems don't stop pissing in the wind and find a message which the average man actually gives a damn about then we're going to be stuck with the bubbling fuc-**** for another four years.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I've already reached that conclusion. If Dean in particular can't be silenced, and remains anything near the front-runnier, Bush could laugh his way to reelection unless there was a disaster of a scale that a stray dog could get elected in place of Bush.

Comment

Anyone think it would take a Beirut-style military fubaring for people to stand up and really take notice of the situation in Iraq?
                              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

For a short while, they would, but we have too much mass in place for a short term event to affect policy.

If we're getting into next summer, and the Pentagon is announcing which units will have second rotations to Iraq, and the One-a-day KIA thing is still happening, then Bush has some real problems. It's too early in the occupation, and too early in the election cycle, to start focusing on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X