No announcement yet.

Assisted Reproduction bill passes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not support harvesting embryos if they have reached a certain stage of their developement (capable of feeling pain , to take a basic example, ie , having a functioning CNS or brain) .
    aneeshm:

Why this stage and not others? What is so special about being able to feel pain? Animals feel pain. They also have a functioning brain.

Again , these must be embryos that were headed for the dustbin , like products of abortion
    What's a product of abortion? Why don't we experiment on homeless people without their consent? Nobody cares about them. They are just going to die anyway.

religion has no place in pure science
    What makes science 'pure'?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Why would my birthday be anything other than the date of my birth? I would date my conception and the beginning of my existence to nine months before my birth.

tinyp3nis:

No, you get a very big change in the zygote as opposed to the egg and the sperm. This change can be represented in the genetic code of the zygote differing from either parent, unlike the sperm or the egg.
      What big change? The change is not big, it's tiny, it's minimal, just another step in the ladder. Why should I think the zygote is something special? WHY?

Let's say in my "lab" I have female and male reproducive cells, I take it that you wouldn't mind so much if I desided that I don't need them afterall and I throw them into carbage because they have no further purpose (nobody should really mind since people's bodies do this all the time).
      What if I had just combined them into a zygote for an adoption child and realise "oops" wrong dad not the one they requested.... I throw it into carbage once again. Why wouldn't you?

Comment

If there's one thing people hate it's religious people all high-and-mighty dictating what people should or should not do.

That's six. Can't you at least be original in your trolls?

Your argument reminds me of something very similar.

"Don't like slavery, don't own a slave!"
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

What if I could show you all ethical alternatives that do even better than embryonic stem cells? Would you agree with me to shift the research away from embryos to these other sources?
          Please do so, if you can. It's now 12 years into my mother's long, slow and horrible decline with Parkinson's Disease. During that time, I've watched something that may provide a cure be shuffled around between governments too spineless or too impotent to take action.

During that time I've heard the "we might come up with something better!" pleas used many, many times. We haven't. Now, for my family, I think it's too late, and for millions of other families too. If your feel your principles outweigh that cumulative mass of human misery, then your principles are impressive indeed. Possibly only to yourself, however.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

That's six. Can't you at least be original in your trolls?

Your argument reminds me of something very similar.

"Don't like slavery, don't own a slave!"
            Can't you at least be original in your trolls?

The problem is perspective -- the only reason you have a problem with assisted reproduction is your religion, period.

Not everyone shares your religion, and chances are very high that even if one religion is correct that yours is not. So deal with the fact that other people have different opinions and all of your protesting and yelling at people for doing things like stem cell research is doing nothing but annoying those people.

In fact, opposing things such as stem cell research only prolongs human suffering, so I'd say the people against such research obviously shouldn't be compared with those that supported emancipation...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What if I had just combined them into a zygote for an adoption child and realise "oops" wrong dad not the one they requested.... I throw it into carbage once again. Why wouldn't you?
              I see no difference between the zygote and an infant. It's in my argument way up in this thread. Just as we would not throw an infant into the garbage for having the 'wrong' parents, neither should we kill the zygote.

Secondly, your terminology shows you are thinking of a commodity. The child has to meet our own wants, in having the 'wrong' parents.

Comment

the only reason you have a problem with assisted reproduction is your religion, period.
                Where have I spoken out against either the assisted reproduction portion of this bill, or in favour of a religous perspective in this thread?

Your case lacks proof, unless you suddenly have mind reading powers.

opposing things such as stem cell research only prolongs human suffering,
                Hey, I don't oppose stem cell research, just embryonic stem cell research. There are very promising ethical alternatives, one of them being cord blood, or using a person's own cells.

Comment

Yes, that's what it is, a piece of meat to me. You still haven't answered why should I change my attitude towards it. One moment they are separated, next they aren't. They zygote doesn't mind, because it doesn't have any more understanding than the sperm.
                  What goes to the would be person argument, here the analogy is like this.
                  It's no different to what people do everyday, prevent people to be born. John likes Mary, but Mary likes Ted and the child will be Teds and Marys child, the creation of John/Mary will never take place, but that is no murder. In life, we have the choice to decide who we have kids with, or not having kids at all. Is that wrong to prevent lives like that(not even talking about abortion now)? The zygote was not wanted, so it went to the carbage.

Tell me why I should keep the zygote alive. Is it suffering? Or are you?

Comment

I see no difference between the zygote and an infant.
                    Then let me help you see. In any medical instance where doctors are forced to take decisions on who survives between the mother and the unborn child, they will always save the mother. Take threatened ectopic pregnancy as an example.

Until birth, an unborn child's rights are subordinate to those of a born infant. Once you accept that, it's just a question of where you draw the line.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

PS: For those of you who DO buy into the fetus = human argument, I would ask....when's your birthday and how do you measure it?
                      My birthday is that day of the year I was "birthed", and it is measured in solar years from that day.

Seems to me that if you believe in your heart of hearts what you're saying, you'd measure your birthday from the time of conception....just a thought.
                      "Birth" and "conception" have different meanings. If we followed your argument, you became a human being once you left the birth canal but not before. Sorry, but that's illogical...

Comment

Then let me help you see. In any medical instance where doctors are forced to take decisions on who survives between the mother and the unborn child, they will always save the mother. Take threatened ectopic pregnancy as an example.
                        She's paying the bill...

Comment

Laz:

Good point.

However, the reason we save the mother and not the child is not because the child is less valuable that the mother, but because we cannot save the life of the child in an ectopic pregnancy.

We have a choice between doing nothing and letting both die, or in doing something and saving the life of the mother. Therefore, the ethical choice will save the life of the mother.

Going to reply to the rest after I grab a bite to eat.
                          Last edited by Ben Kenobi; November 2, 2003, 20:08.

Comment

vel:

Seems to me that if you believe in your heart of hearts what you're saying, you'd measure your birthday from the time of conception

I just wanted to point out that, this IS when most asian cultures start counting their age. Food for thought.

edit: i used to be a pro-lifer. now i believe that a child can be aborted at anytime at all, at the parents choice, up until it's 18th birthday.

I'm kidding, of course.
                            -connorkimbro
                            "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

They zygote doesn't mind, because it doesn't have any more understanding than the sperm.
                              Tiny P3nis:

So 'understanding' is what makes us a person? Can you get into greater detail how we know a person properly understands?

It's no different to what people do everyday, prevent people to be born.
                              There is a difference between contraception or in declining to have children. In either case you do not end the life of a human being. We keep coming back to this point as to the origins of personhood. From conception, everything that a child needs to grow and develop is present, therefore personhood ought to start with conception.

Tell me why I should keep the zygote alive. Is it suffering? Or are you?
                              I feel nothing, no pain whatsoever. Can you measure suffering? How do you know that the unborn child does not suffer?

Comment

I feel nothing, no pain whatsoever. Can you measure suffering? How do you know that the unborn child does not suffer?
                                Oh I think western medicine agrees with me here that it does not.
                                How do I know the sun on the sky is not just a big light bolt? They told me it's a star, then explained what a star is and I believed them because it makes sense and there is no proof against it.

Comment

Working...
                                X