X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.Y. Times Retracts Arnold Hitler Bombshell

Saturday, Oct. 4, 2003 10:39 a.m. EDT

N.Y. Times Retracts Arnold Hitler Bombshell

The New York Times issued a de facto retraction on Saturday after misreporting two days earlier that Arnold Schwarzenegger once said he admired Adolf Hitler for what he did with his power.

In early Friday editions, the so-called paper of record quoted the California gubernatorial front-runner as saying, "I admire [Hitler] for being such a good public speaker and for what he did with it." Schwarzenegger's critics used the toxic quote to suggest he approved of the Holocaust.

But an actual transcript of outtakes from Schwarzenegger's 1975 bodybuilding classic, "Pumping Iron," shows that what the actor actually said was exactly the opposite: "I didn't admire [Hitler] for what he did with it."

The incendiary Schwarzenegger quote was corrected by the film's producer, George Butler, during an interview Friday where he admitted he misquoted the GOP front-runner in a 1997 book proposal.

Butler told the Times that the error stemmed from the fact that the book proposal quote, which was widely circulated after the Times and ABC News published the bogus story, had "dropped a few words."

The full and corrected Schwarzenegger quote, which was printed by the Times on Saturday, went like this:

"In many ways I admired people — It depends for what. I admired Hitler for instance because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power. And I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for his way of getting to the people and so on.

"But I didn't admire him for what he did with it. It is very hard to say who I admired and who are my heroes. And I admired basically people who are powerful people, like Kennedy. Who people listen to and just wait until he comes out with telling them what to do. People like that I admire a lot."

Butler couldn't explain how he made the mistake, telling the Times, "I am amazed that something like that escaped me."

But what's perhaps more amazing is that the Times, ABC News and the rest of the mainstream press ran wih a bogus story they knew could severly damage Schwarzenegger's reputation without verifying the poisonous quote.

Probably too late to save him now.

I wonder what would happen to the runoff election if Davis resigned right now?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Probably the same sort of crap going on with molestation dilly... Dems play hardball exceptionally well

I voted for Arnold...
      Monkey!!!

Comment

He still ahead in the lattest poll and the Recall is winning 52% to 42%(most polls have put recall between the high of 60% to the low of 52%).
        These stories came out too late to sick to him. With a day left I doubt davis can come back now. There is just not enough time.
        Donate to the American Red Cross.
        Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

I don't personally care whether Arnie becomes gov or not of Cali, specially as I don't live there. I do, however, hate to see the Repugs rewarded for playing dirty.

Davis should resign.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

"But what's perhaps more amazing is that the Times, ABC News and the rest of the mainstream press ran wih a bogus story they knew could severly damage Schwarzenegger's reputation without verifying the poisonous quote."

I don't think that's amazing at all. The press does stufff like this all the time.
            CSPA

Comment

Not during the last days of a campaign they don't.

Comment

With a day left, and the fact that may people have already voted, about 2,000,000 people, I doubt Davis resigning would make a difference. Davis wants to hang on to power and I think in his head he thinks he can still win.
                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

I voted last week, before any of these alligations came out... Man! If only I knew he didn't idolize Hitler I probably would of voted for Gary Coleman!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Why are the republicans blamed for playing dirty?

This quote came from the NY Times, didn't they have that kerfluffle not too long ago with Jayson Blair?

Che, sure they do.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

isn't schwarzenegger the republican's boy? why would they play dirty against their own boy?
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Probably too late to save him now.
                        His landslide may be somewhat smaller.
                        That's about it.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          isn't schwarzenegger the republican's boy? why would they play dirty against their own boy?

They are not. All the republicans are now behind him. Its the democrats in there last days in power that are playing dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            Why are the republicans blamed for playing dirty?

Because they've been trying to disenfranchise the Democratic party voters. The recall in Cali is part of the same strategy as the gerrymandering in Texas and the vote fraud in Florida. The Repugs don't care about winning the game fairly anymore.

This quote came from the NY Times, didn't they have that kerfluffle not too long ago with Jayson Blair?

Blair is a minor, unimportant figure, actually. Despite the hoopla given by some about Blair being allowed to get away with writing fake stories because he is Black, several white writers who made up stories are still on the NYT's staff, including the yahoo who flogged the Whitewater and Wen Ho Lee stories which both turned out to be completely eroneous. These, however, were not released as October surprises.

Comment

The Repugs don't care about winning the game fairly anymore.
                              No Repug is playing dirty though. You need to see the commercials they are airing (both sides). All the Dems do is attack Arnold... They don't do anything but (except for Busta who has about a 3 sec speal on Vote No on The Recall, before he bashes Arnold and says vote for me)...

The Dems are the only ones fighting dirty here.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X