Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going too far? Banning peanut butter sandwiches because of ONE childs allergy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

In the UK at least schools are obliged to provide access for students in wheelchairs. This often involves resources being spent on putting in ramps and lifts etc etc.
    Do you think that policy is reasonable? If so, how does it differ from the nut allergy example?
    It isn't an absolute obligation to modify buildings. They can decide not to do it if it costs too much or the school is a listed building and they can't get permission for the work.

The difference is that providing disabled access doesn't take anything away from the non-disabled pupils in terms of their ability to move around the school. They aren't obliged to attend school in a wheelchair.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

• So are Democrats generally in favor of the right to peanut butter and the Republicans oppose everyone having access to peanut butter?

I'm not sure.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS
        Careful GP, your true colours are showing through, calling people names and stuff...

Yeah right - here kid, we're going to make you really ill just to see how ill you can get. Oops we killed him! NEXT...

I think the assessment would have been made when the kid was first found to be allergic - that would most likely have been don by a doctor and therefore independent...

Really GP with points like that, you should stick to making an arse of yourself because apparently that seems to be the only thing you're good at!
        Some of the comments in some of the linked stories said that it was likely that the danger was being exaggerated. It would be good to look at this issue. I would not support testing that would endanger the child.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS
          Careful GP, your true colours are showing through, calling people names and stuff...
          True.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Last edited by TCO; September 11, 2003, 19:38.

Comment

• Last edited by TCO; September 11, 2003, 19:39.

Comment

• Kindergarten is a messy place. Kids get food all over themselves and everything else. But having the lunch-nazi search is going too far. They should have called a meeting with the parents or even just composed a letter to send home with all the kids.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT
                  Especially the Left wing kind, eh Skanky?
                  I'll bet if one of your kids had the peanut allergy your views on this issue would be quite different.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Well, I did know some kids in school that had allergies to peanuts.

They had to carry around a big syringe. In case they came down with the allergy, they (or someone else) had to take out the syringe and stab themselves in the heart before it was too late.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Home schooling is not that bad, and would be a viable option.

However, I think we should all listen to the kids on this one. The kids seem to have no problem enforcing a no-peanut butter rule amongst themselves simply because they understand that their friend might die.

Should that not be our approach as well?

What's a little less PB&J for a friend?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I think we are all missing the point in the measures being taken because of one child?

For christ's sake, just make a set time a lunchtime or whatever you Yanks call it for eating (~10 mins). After that, food ist verboten, and everyone can play nice. That would solve a host of other problems too

Make the school nurse check on him once a day at the most.

Comprimise!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker

They had to carry around a big syringe. In case they came down with the allergy, they (or someone else) had to take out the syringe and stab themselves in the heart before it was too late.
                          Good preparation for a Tarantino film part
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Tell me, is peanut butter healthy? Why can't they eat potatoes?
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• The Eurosensatives don't get to look down on us capital-punishment-loving gun-loving, Indian-killing, Mexican-land-stealing thugs then. We gotta live down to their hand-wringing view of us.

Comment

• We euro's don't dislike americans in general. We dislike stupid americans.

Well, I do.
                                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                                X