Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going too far? Banning peanut butter sandwiches because of ONE childs allergy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This happened in our kids ski school last year. I'm not sure where I stand. Its frustrating that a very small percentage of people can dictate the menu, but can also see it from the parents point of view.

I witnessed my roomate arrive home on valentines night with his head like a pumpkin and watched him stab himself with his anti-death needles after being served a walnut salad dressing.

Clearly peanut alergies are part of evolutions big plan and they will all eventually die out and we can have our peanut butter back in the ski school.
    Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. Surely kids can live without having PB&Js at school???? Cream cheese and jelly is 5 times better anyway. Or they could have cold-cuts - any number of alternatives!!!
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Glad you could use my thread for yet another bigoted comment.
        It's a bigoted thread. Damn anti peanut-allergists.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Ludicrous. People are overly sensitive these days and it's going to be civilization's downfall.

Comment

Although I suppose if more schools were as strict at confiscating guns as this school seems to be about confiscating peanut butter sandwiches then the world might be a better place.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I don't think that access to peanut butter sandwiches is a fundmental human right. Are the other kids so attached to their sandwich fillings that they would place the life of one of their peers at risk?

I think other kids should be able to eat what they want. Just because one whiner can't touch peanuts doesn't mean that every kid in the entire school shouldn't be able to eat peanut butter sandwiches. Absurd!!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A tough question. I wonder whether the controversy would have existed at all if the school had talked to the parents and explained the situation before pronouncing their edict. Peanut allergies can be very severe, even just the smell can bring on reactions in some cases.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                  Ludicrous. People are overly sensitive these days and it's going to be civilization's downfall.
                  Originally posted by Imran
                  Just because one whiner can't touch peanuts
                  Exactly. That stupid kid should just pull himself together and think more positively. It's the equal-opportunity PC-freak propaganda that makes his throat swell shut if he eats any nut products.

Comment

The really tragic thing is that the kid will be pegged throughout his school career as "the weirdo freak who got peanut butter banned."

Comment

One whiner?

I think you mean, one kid who's parents are scared that he might get die. He and his classmates are 6 do you think it's possible that he might get food from one of the others without any of the kids knowing it has nuts in, and without the teacher noticing? I know most of you aren't parents but those who are, isn't it a reasonable precaution to want your child protected like this?
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Can't the kids just eat at a different table, or in a different room? And ask the other kids to wash their hands afterwards? Seems like an easier solution.
                        Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

The really tragic thing is that the kid will be pegged throughout his school career as "the weirdo freak who got peanut butter banned."
                          It'd be more tragic if he died though, wouldn't it? Or perhaps the bullying he'll receive as a result of this will drive him to suicide? It's a Catch-22.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                            one kid who's parents are scared that he might get die.
                            I hear that Die is becoming more and more prevalent these days. I blame the doctor's over-prescribing antibiotics: we simply don't have the natural Die-resistance we used to back in the olden days.

Comment

Of course, education suffers as resources are diverted from the class to spend on this one child:

Alicia McCormack, chair of the school safety committee and first vice president of the Valle Verde PTA, worries that the salary for the nurse is the reason that the school, financially strapped like most in the state, has lost an instructional assistant.

"We made a real effort not to let the budget cuts affect our school," McCormack said. "But all I know is we are down one IA and up a nurse."

Comment

Yep, and some of the more bratty kids will make a new game - "trick so-and-so into eating peanut butter and die!" but all the sane ones realise the fact he could die and support it.

Atleast that's how it worked in my school. Heck, I once got beaten up by my grade 3 class mates for taking peanut butter cookies to school.
                                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X