Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the U.S. national anthem still move me so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everyone knows Jesus went to India

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
      From a music point of view I like the US anthem more than ours, also the lyrics.
      Ugh, no way. The German anthem is quite lovely. Haydn really did write a pretty tune. The original string quartet setting is elegant and moving.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I must hold true to my musical sensibilities before all else. My country is music!
        sig material
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Learned a lot about General Jackson

Yeah, we learned that he was a long-winded and preachy ***** of a man. I was glad when he got shot.

Didn't like Gods & Generals much, as you can see.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Hey, I'm not a neo-Confederate by any means, but I still enjoyed Gods and Generals.

Comment

G&G was cloying and putrid.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

G&G was cloying and putrid.
                Any particular reason other than the fact that you hate all white Southerners?

I argue that even us Yankees can enjoy a movie like Gods and Generals.

Comment

This may be true, but I would also argue that all residents of states not in existence during the Civil War find Gods and Generals to be an over-long crap fest.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                    Any particular reason other than the fact that you hate all white Southerners?
                    I think having been born and raised in the South would negate that as a factor.

Plus, um, pot, kettle, black.

Yankees with bad taste in movies, yes. Exhibit B: Your liking "Titanic."

Case rested.

G&G is bad because it's poorly written and poorly directed, and in many cases poorly acted. It has nothing to do with politics.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I am pretty much moved by the national anthems of Great Powers (at least by those few that I know, or better to say, remember). Also, the Internationale affects me profoundly.
                      Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Ugh, no way. The German anthem is quite lovely. Haydn really did write a pretty tune. The original string quartet setting is elegant and moving.
                        You mean aside from all the ugly historical overtones?

(if we're talking about Deutchland Uber Alles)
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I liked Serge Gainsbourg's reggae version of the Marseillaise, which he performed after receiving death threats from National Front types. I also like the rendition of the Marseillaise in 'Casablanca'- it chokes me up every time.

I liked Haydn's Austrian national anthem.

Apparently (it may have been the Saudi Arabian Crown Prince, can't quite remember) liked one tune so much, he wanted it as their national anthem. He was advised against it- it was 'Yes! We have no bananas!'...

Australia's national anthem is a turgid dirge, that should be replaced by 'Waltzing Matilda' as soon as possible.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I've always thought the tune from "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" would make a stunning national anthem. Bach is hard to beat!

Yeah he is, but isn't the main tune by Martin Luther?

Edit: Yeah, it is.
                            Last edited by JohnT; September 8, 2003, 23:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

You mean aside from all the ugly historical overtones?

(if we're talking about Deutchland Uber Alles)
                              IIRC, Deutschland Uber Alles was written when the germanic states were fragmented.
                              Then it was used as propaganda.

Anyway, the US anthem is okay, but I can list quite a few that are better:
                              1. Russia
                              2. China
                              3. The Internationale
                              4. France
                              5. Germany
                              6. Finland
                              7. Azerbaijan
                              8. North Korea
                              9. South Korea
                              10. Australia (Don't stone me!)
                              11. India
                              12. Pakistan

The list goes on...
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I'd like our anthem better if I knew who Gert by Sea was.
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X