Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the U.S. national anthem still move me so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone knows the French national anthem is the best one in the world, bar none.

*Runs from angry mob*
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

The french and US anthems are so much better than ours. They actually depict something important and are good sing alongs too.
      I always lived the Russian/SU one aswell
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I like the second verse of God Save the Queen.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          I like the second verse of God Save the Queen.
          IS that the one about smashing the Scots.
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

No that's the last verse

God Save The Queen

God save our gracious Queen
            Long live our noble Queen
            God save the Queen
            Send her victorious
            Happy and glorious
            Long to reign over us
            God save the Queen

O Lord our God arise
            Scatter her enemies
            And make them fall
            Confound their politics
            Frustrate their knavish tricks
            On Thee our hopes we fix
            God save us all

Thy choicest gifts in store
            On her be pleased to pour
            Long may she reign
            May she defend our laws
            And ever give us cause
            To sing with heart and voice
            God save the Queen

Not in this land alone
            But be God's mercies known
            From shore to shore
            Lord make the nations see
            That men should brothers be
            And form one family
            The wide world over

From every latent foe
            From the assassins blow
            God save the Queen
            O'er her thine arm extend
            For Britain's sake defend
            Our mother, prince, and friend
            God save the Queen

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
            May by thy mighty aid
            Victory bring
            May he sedition hush
            And like a torrent rush
            Rebellious Scots to crush
            God save the King
            Not sure how the King got in there at the end
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

that's a nice verse, a bit like the 1st verse of our anthem

Comment

I never know why God is being asked to save the queen, she is after all rulling by divine right. It should be a given

Comment

Oh Canada, our home and native land...
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

nice pic Stefu, never knew you had gained some pounds

Comment

Re: Why does the U.S. national anthem still move me so?

Originally posted by Dissident
                      well watching the national anthem earlier today on a football game kind of welled me up... just a little. I never would cry or anything like that. But it does still move me.

I try my darndest not to be patriotic and nationalistic. I tell myself it's just a country. A country responsible for millions of deaths around the world. A nation taking away civil liberties left and right. A nation that takes far too much of my money and throws it down the drain. A nation that only cares about the wealth of its people and not the environment.

So why does the national anthem of the U.S. still afftect me? Europeans are amazed that people actually care for the national anthem in the U.S. I don't know why it's a big deal to me, but it is. I should hate my country for all the horrible things it has done, but I do not.

Patriotism and nationalism is silly. I have a little secret to tell. I did not join the military because I loved my country. I joined for the career opportunities, and because I had nothing better to do at the time . Would I have defended my ship against attack? Well yes of course, it is in my well being to do so. I did not fly one single flag after 9/11. I refused to jump on that bandwagon.
                      Maybe the Ironic nature of the words, so its a bitter sweet thing as you know deep in your heart the U.S. could and should do so much better than it does?
                      Same for most 1st world anthems i would guess?
                      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Unity, justice and freedom are the pledge of fortune
                        Bloom in the that fortune's glance, bloom German fatherland

Comment

nice pic Stefu, never knew you had gained some pounds
                          I never shot anybody before OD'ing on hormones and alcohol!
                          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

that's very "st_within" in both quality and relevance

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
                              Oh Canada, our home and native land...
                              Is the worst anthem bar none. It's even worse than the Chilean one that goes on in maudlin tones for ages and then just when you think it's faded out, cranks up again.

The French have the best. I'm afraid that countless caterwauling performances by buxom women who'd given some old man a BJ for the privilege have ruined the Star Spangled Banner for me.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

So why does the national anthem of the U.S. still afftect me? Europeans are amazed that people actually care for the national anthem in the U.S.
                                It's an involuntary conditioned response. Your conciousness and personality have nothing to do with it. I still get moved by Scotland and Britain's national anthems, as well as by other countries (including America's) national anthems, even though I am anti-nationalist. It annoys me that my body has been hijacked, but there's not a lot I can do about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X