Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the U.S. national anthem still move me so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the U.S. national anthem still move me so?

well watching the national anthem earlier today on a football game kind of welled me up... just a little. I never would cry or anything like that. But it does still move me.

I try my darndest not to be patriotic and nationalistic. I tell myself it's just a country. A country responsible for millions of deaths around the world. A nation taking away civil liberties left and right. A nation that takes far too much of my money and throws it down the drain. A nation that only cares about the wealth of its people and not the environment.

So why does the national anthem of the U.S. still afftect me? Europeans are amazed that people actually care for the national anthem in the U.S. I don't know why it's a big deal to me, but it is. I should hate my country for all the horrible things it has done, but I do not.

Patriotism and nationalism is silly. I have a little secret to tell. I did not join the military because I loved my country. I joined for the career opportunities, and because I had nothing better to do at the time . Would I have defended my ship against attack? Well yes of course, it is in my well being to do so. I did not fly one single flag after 9/11. I refused to jump on that bandwagon.

I talk about my own thoughts too much don't I? I try not to talk about myself too much. No one wants to hear that crap- not even me. So ignore my ramblings ans discuss how your feel about your national anthem.

well use this thread to discuss your feelings about your national anthem- whatever country you may be from.

Comment

"I should hate my country for all the horrible things it has done, but I do not. "

Because deep down you love your country for all the good it has done, regardless of whether you want to admit it to yourself.

I think I'll coin a bumper sticker slogan for people like you: "It's OK to love the USA"

Comment

I think the US has a great anthem - one of the best.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The most moving ever was when the Brits played it after 9/11

UK!
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Actually your congress men and women singing it on the steps of the Capitol was extraordinarily moving even for an old cynic like me.

Reminded me of what a great country and people you are.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty touching, but I guess for us Amis the UK playing our anthem during the changing of the guards was more moving, for the reason that it was another country doing it.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I missed that.

Comment

The Coldstream Guards

The Duke of York, representing the Queen, and US ambassador William Farish stood solemnly side-by-side as hundreds of well-wishers paid their tributes.

It gave way to a two-minute silence to honour the victims of the atrocities in New York and Washington.

This was followed by the British national anthem.

Then the band from the outgoing Number 7 Company, Coldstream Guards, played a selection of sombre US music, including Hymn for the Fallen, written by US composer John Williams and used in the final credits of the film, Saving Private Ryan.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ted Striker; September 8, 2003, 02:00.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You can see it here on video. Video is low quality but you get the idea:

Comment

The famous reaction from this lady...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                        I think the US has a great anthem - one of the best.
                        Yes, but any anthem about beating the British simply must be good.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

dammit only troll non-British Eurocoms

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            The Duke of York, representing the Queen, and US ambassador William Farish stood solemnly side-by-side as hundreds of well-wishers paid their tributes
                            The Duke of York has a much nicer suit then Ambassador Farish. If the guy is supposed to represent the US you figure he could buy a suit from some where other then Sears.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

British dudes wear the best suits in the world, next to the Italians. There is no way we can beat them head to head.

Or maybe we should outfit him with Armani so he dresses like P Diddy or Steve Harvey?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X