Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the U.S. national anthem still move me so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    Musically, the U.S. anthem is a rather overly-bombastic, banal piece. Perfect for chest-thumping, yes, but hardly a great tune. The vocal line is rather ineptly written, from a singing standpoint. Key obviously didn't know how to write for singers, considering the range is all over the place.
    IIRC Key only wrote the words. The music is from an english drinking song.

BTW - you want to get all teary about it, go to Fort McHenry in Baltimore, and listen to it after a description of the battle, as the curtain is drawn to show the flag flying over the fort.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico
      If you like the sombre-sad type anthem, Hatikva (the Israel one, lit. "The Hope") wins out.
      Of course the music for that one is based on Smetana's "moldau" - which, ironically, always reminds me of "hatikvah" when i hear it.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico
        If you like the sombre-sad type anthem, Hatikva (the Israel one, lit. "The Hope") wins out.
        Of course the music for that one is based on Smetana's "moldau" - which, ironically, always reminds me of "hatikvah" when i hear it.

Also interesting historical resonances, since Czech nationalism has tended to be generally non antisemitic (well not always, but certainly as led by Masaryk) especially in comparison to the Czech opponents among radical Grossdeutsch nationalism. And in the 20's it was said "there are czechs, and there are slovaks, but the only czechoslovaks are the Jews". And Czechoslovakia was first state to send arms to Israel in '48. Etc...

Comment

USA! USA!

The US National Anthem moves me as well. It's a great anthem

And che, really, Slow is right, you need to develop that sense of humor of yours. We did it for Fun, we can do it for you (Just kidding Fun, don't go ape**** ).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

F*ck you, I had nothing to do with this discussion.

Personally, This Land is Your Land .
            Another great patriotic tune written by a lefty

Though actually the best "patriotic" music written by a lefty is by Aaron Copeland - Fanfare for the Common man, Lincoln Portrait, and, in a different way, Appalachian Spring. Once I was driving along the GW Parkway, with the vista of the capital appearing across the Potomac, when Fanfare came on - it was a very nice accidental "gesamthkuntswerk" (Sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              USA! USA!

The US National Anthem moves me as well. It's a great anthem

And che, really, Slow is right, you need to develop that sense of humor of yours. We did it for Fun, we can do it for you (Just kidding Fun, don't go ape**** ).
              Yes, I suppose if even I can be saved, so can Chegitz, right?
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Enough with the personal crap folks...

And Sloww... you are one post away from getting restricted. ATTACK THE ARGUMENTS... NOT THE POSTERS!
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I *love* Fanfare for the Common Man.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                    Enough with the personal crap folks...

And Sloww... you are one post away from getting restricted. ATTACK THE ARGUMENTS... NOT THE POSTERS!
                    . . . and thus, Ming came down from the mountains with the Commandments, and God saw that this was good.

Comment

Because you are emotionally stunted and hence easily moved?

All my nation's anthem does for me is make me wish we had something better. Preferably jazz with a good drum skiffle in it, and maybe a washboard or two.
                      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        And che, really, Slow is right, you need to develop that sense of humor of yours.
                        It was an attack from left field. I wasn't part of the thread and wham.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The only one who got their panties in a twist was Fun.
                          Like that matters a lot, it's so unusual.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            The only one who got their panties in a twist was Fun.
                            Like that matters a lot, it's so unusual.
                            So I overreacted -- again.

Comment

It was an attack from left field. I wasn't part of the thread and wham.

Lighten up .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Save Chegitz, like you saved me Imran.

Comment

Working...
                                X