Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the U.S. national anthem still move me so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musically, the U.S. anthem is a rather overly-bombastic, banal piece. Perfect for chest-thumping, yes, but hardly a great tune. The vocal line is rather ineptly written, from a singing standpoint. Key obviously didn't know how to write for singers, considering the range is all over the place.

Still, it strikes an emotional chord through association, as I'm sure most national anthems do. But I can think of plenty of superior anthems, including Russia, Germany, France, etc.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Oh, and if you want to see what a great composer can do with the Star-Spangled Banner, just listen to what Puccini does with it in Madama Butterfly. Genius!
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

If you like the sombre-sad type anthem, Hatikva (the Israel one, lit. "The Hope") wins out. for more cheerful stuff the French one is good. Australia has a horrible one, they should change it to Waltzing Matilda (even if it is about some guy committing suicide!)
        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

damn Boris. how, just HOW can you be so unamerican?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            "I should hate my country for all the horrible things it has done, but I do not. "

Because deep down you love your country for all the good it has done, regardless of whether you want to admit it to yourself.

I think I'll coin a bumper sticker slogan for people like you: "It's OK to love the USA"

I'd like one of them bumper stickers!

Comment

I can understand one gets moved by listening to the Russian or the French anthems, for they are quite good tunes
              But the American anthem ?! Come on, next time you'll say you're moved by God Save the Queen or by the Japanese Anthem
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I am usually moved by my country's national anthem as well.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                  damn Boris. how, just HOW can you be so unamerican?
                  The amazing part is it all comes natural, no effort required.
                  And Spiffor sucks, that's well-known.
                  Che sucks.
                  Well, the list just goes on and on.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Che sucks.
                    C'mon Slowwy, you generally have quite a good musical taste.
                    You just know a boring music when you hear one
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Che sucks.

Comment

Che sucks.
                        F*ck you, I had nothing to do with this discussion.

Personally, This Land if Your Land and American the Beautiful move me more than the national anthem.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Chegitz, you will have to pardon Slowwy -- it's that time of the year for him again . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            Come on, next time you'll say you're moved by God Save the Queen
                            GSTQ is crap, however 'Land of Hope and Glory' does move me somewhat. That would be our anthem but for the racism in it. Does anyone know what lines people object to in it, that get it branded as racist?
                            Smile
                            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Nobody rattled your cage, Fun.

Che, get over it buddy. Criminey but you're getting to be a poophead in your old age.

At least Spiffor retains a sense of humor.
                              "Foreigners" I wouldn't expect to me moved by the OUR National Anthem.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nobody rattled your cage, Fun.

The problem is that you really seem to disrespect people who can think objectively about different aspects of their own country.

And take the trolls for what they are, instead of raising your blood pressure over them.

Comment

Working...
                                X