Power out in NY and elsewhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They said it could be days before Detroit has power

This is according to CNN, I doubt the reliability of that report.

Comment

Hmm. It appears that Detroit is going to be without power through today (Friday) as well, at least according to tidbits I've scrounged off the wires and CNN.
      Depending upon the type and size of the power plant, it can take several days to get one back running to full operational power.

Hopefully Detroit doesn't start having water shortages like Cleveland (I think?) does--that would REALLY be scary
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

The thing that really is troublesome is all the nuke plants are down.

They take a little while to start up. Though if the keep the plant "hot", that shouldn't take too long. But if they don't have them up by tomorrow afternoon, they won't have enough power to supply all the A/C units.

I'm assuming the nuke plants have generators to keep the heaters going to keep the plant hot. Though civilian plants are a lot different from navy ones. Most of them aren't pressurized water reactors. But they still need to keep the reactor core hot. Because there are limits to how fast you have to heat up and cool down reactor cores. This is to minimize thermal stresses on the metals to prevent brittle fracture (the metals are already weaker because of a lifetime of radiaton)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          Knoxville TN checking in.
          God, it's like T-3.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre

I thought it was in Mark G's room?
            The Army won't let him take the server on maneuvers, so they had to relocate it.

Comment

The thing that really is troublesome is all the nuke plants are down.
              Indeed. It's a miracle that some kind of nuclear disaster (though unlikely) didn't happen. I mean, if it was one in New Jersey, people probably wouldn't notice, but still...

Comment

The Army won't let him take the server on maneuvers, so they had to relocate it.
                It was always in Dallas? Hosted by RackShack, I think? Though, I don't know that much about Polyhistory.

Comment

well we do have such a thing as safety devices on our nuke reactors . Hell, on navy ships- if you lose all power the control rods drop, shutting down the reactor (though you still have to maintain some coolant flow to prevent the core from overheating)

well at least in the navy we did. The civilian reactors are suprisingly less safe than ours

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                    It wasn't an accedent, it is the beginning of the Communist Revolution.
                    Yea, it's better to get the people used to power irregularities right away.

Comment

• Comment

• Very good one, Sikander

Comment

• All catastrophies have a certain beauty, haven't they?
                          Attached Files
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• Wow, I see that the avatars are working. Is that because most New York Apolytoners are off line?
                            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

• I hope that some Locations in the USA stay without power for a very long time.
                              Especially the Locations of all the Spam Mailers in eastern USA.
                              Since the power failure I haven´t gotten a single Spam Mail and I want this condition to continue
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Get an email addy from www.fastmail.fm Proteus.
                                That is, when their power gets back.

I haven't gotten a single spam email for a few years.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X