Power out in NY and elsewhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I say blame Zylka .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

from AP:

Canada Blames Outage on Lightning Strike
      1 hour, 6 minutes ago

TORONTO - Canadian officials said Thursday that a massive power outage across the Northeast and parts of Canada was caused by a lightning strike at the Niagara power plant.

"We have been informed that lightning struck a power plant in the Niagara region on the U.S. side," said Jim Munson, a spokesman for Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

U.S. officials said they were looking at a power transmission problem from Canada as the most likely cause of the biggest outage in U.S. history, said a spokeswoman for New York Gov. George Pataki. There was no sign of terrorism, officials in New York and Washington agreed.
      Ahhh, America blames Canada, Canada blames America. How far we've come from "the buck stops here." Gotta be my one pet peeve: no one can accept blame and admit it anymore.
      badams

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Yes, I say blame Zylka .
        He must of forgot to take his Zyprexa.

Comment

Checking in.

Just came in early to work, where we have power; this is in Bayonne, NJ.

Belleville, NJ (where I live) was still out when I left at 20:30, and Jersey city is apparently completely out. Newark is supposed to be mostly out, though some of the larger buildings appeared to have power.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

back up in eastern Ontario

Comment

Belleville, NJ (where I live) was still out when I left at 20:30, and Jersey city is apparently completely out. Newark is supposed to be mostly out, though some of the larger buildings appeared to have power.
              Probably generators?
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Method
                back up in eastern Ontario
                Are you in Ottawa?
                What?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber

Where did they get the idea that New Yorkers were panicked? From what I am seeing on TV they all seem pretty calm. All things considered, New Yorkers are taking it in stride..
                  Eh, don't worry about it... I think the CBC just likes to take pot-shots at those 'crazy American jerks" whenever they can.

Don't worry, I temper my left-wing media outlets (CBC) with my right-wing (Sun Publications).

I'm not a commie, Joe, I swear!
                  "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                  "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                  "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

the Conan O'Brian episode had the first 10 minutes or so as a "without power" thing. It was pretty cool.

Comment

Meanwhile, the BBC is providing authoritive comment on the blackout by posting unsubstantiated messages from web surfers. This is the first message the BBC posted:

"I have just returned home to find a message on the answerphone from my nephew in Toronto... He says that gangs are forming on the streets to begin looting when it gets dark."
                      Brenda Underhill, England
                      BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Gangs forming in the streets? In Toronto?
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Canadians? Out when it gets dark?

Comment

The difference between Americans and Canadians

"CNN correspondent Maria Hinojosa was forced off a pay phone when people standing in line to use it actually hung up the receiver."
                          -- CNN

"Underground, in the darkness of Union Station... the tunnels were jammed and the heat was intense, but there were many audible calls of "sorry" and "excuse me" as the passengers jostled themselves up crowded stairs and onto the platform.

"We're being polite, this is Canada, you know," said Melanie Chlocker, who was waiting for a train after work."
                          -- The Globe and Mail
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

the power isn't out in New York

Comment

Hmm. It appears that Detroit is going to be without power through today (Friday) as well, at least according to tidbits I've scrounged off the wires and CNN.

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Power's been out in East Lansing since around 4:20 EDT. Just came back on within the last couple minutes. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays on.
                                "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Working...
                                X