Bush Administration's latest excuse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by elijah
    It isnt necessarily coalition, although that is always preferable. They do work, although they need safeguards, look at the weimar republic. If they had the house of lords, hitler would never have happened.
    Nope. That is not an option. What they need is a strong government and not a weak coalition ones. Usually coalition governments are weak. There are one or two strong ones but that is because the parties in the coalition agree strongly with each other. That is rare.

Anyways.. I think there must be a strong leader in a more authoritarian state. The masses are usually never right. Leave it to those who know how to get things done.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• "The masses are usually never right. Leave it to those who know how to get things done"

Doesnt mean an authoritarian state, you can have a highly liberal state, that is a democracy, with an elected government, thus eliminating the consensus and democracy fallacies.

"Nope. That is not an option"

Why not? Its always an option.

"Usually coalition governments are weak"

Ideally, they are compromised governments that become more representative of everybody who votes. Rounded to the nearest number of seats in parliament of course.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Doesnt mean an authoritarian state, you can have a highly liberal state, that is a democracy, with an elected government, thus eliminating the consensus and democracy fallacies.
        I am no democrat or an advocate of strong democracy. I never have been. Always a strong republic with various authoritarian elements in it.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• " I am no democrat or an advocate of strong democracy. I never have been. Always a strong republic with various authoritarian elements in it."

That is fine (for you), I was merely stating that one can have a strong government, in even the most liberal of nations!
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

That is fine (for you), I was merely stating that one can have a strong government, in even the most liberal of nations!
            I must disagree. I have nothing further to say on this topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fez
              Anyways.. I think there must be a strong leader in a more authoritarian state. The masses are usually never right. Leave it to those who know how to get things done.
              Uncle Joe knows.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• " I must disagree. I have nothing further to say on this topic"

Why? Theoretically, one can have a nation at the apex of liberty even without the existence of democracy in the first place!!! Whether it is prudent or not is a different matter, but being liberal is no stop to having a strong government.

Unless of course, by strong you mean trampling on rights, in which case I agree, but then, I dont accept that a strong government has to trample on rights, look at various US governments that were popular and thus strong and had great civil rights.

I take strong to mean the degree to which a government can run a nation without having to delegate its responsibilities, via referendums, elections, etc. Needless to say, I think that a government ideally should have a certain degree of strength but not too much, but that is of course, irrelevant to the issue of liberal nations having strong governments.

Comment

• "Uncle Joe"

Comment

" I must disagree. I have nothing further to say on this topic"

Why? Theoretically, one can have a nation at the apex of liberty even without the existence of democracy in the first place!!! Whether it is prudent or not is a different matter, but being liberal is no stop to having a strong government.
                    Well you can call me if given power, a democratic dictator. I wouldn't limit the press and allow some demonstrations. But the moment civil unrest occurs I will be fast to crush it.

Unless of course, by strong you mean trampling on rights, in which case I agree, but then, I dont accept that a strong government has to trample on rights, look at various US governments that were popular and thus strong and had great civil rights.
                    I never said anything about rights. People can have their rights but they should keep to themselves. Some people who like protesting shouldn't prevent others from getting to work and damaging the economy. That is unacceptable.

I take strong to mean the degree to which a government can run a nation without having to delegate its responsibilities, via referendums, elections, etc.
                    Finally you get something right about me.

Needless to say, I think that a government ideally should have a certain degree of strength but not too much, but that is of course, irrelevant to the issue of liberal nations having strong governments.
                    Liberal nations usually don't have strong governments in my opinion.

Comment

• "Liberal nations usually don't have strong governments in my opinion"

Britain has a very strong government, is a capitalist state yet is pretty liberal.

I believe you are confusing political and civil rights. The former is only a slice out of the pie of the other.

mmmm pie!!

One could have dictators or other strong governments that fully allow the right to protest, the right to do anything, run nude down the street etc (up to the Mill Limit, see link in sig), to express their views in a full manner, and otherwise give much more civil rights than you, and still be considered a strong government.

However, I do not think a government should be too strong. Democracy is quite important to me, it is thus important to keep governments accountable, and ultimately, an instrument of the delegation of power from the people. I call greater political rights the "conduit of influence", and the wider the conduit is, in the long term, the more stable, dynamic, progressive and economically sound a society becomes, because people can change things legitimatally, and not resort to revolutions and riots with have a tendency to become violent. Protests of course I feel are rather important, asides from the great, healthy fun of being in one, they help to advertise a cause to the general public. Of course, is one going to take away my right to walk down the street? Most protests dont involve smashing stuff.

Comment

"The electoral college actually has all the power. The national popular vote means nothing. When a candidate wins the most votes in a state, that states' electoral votes, which are based on population, are all given to the candidate. Thus, if a state as 10 electoral votes, all 10 go to the winner. They are not split"

So its like a first past the post system, but for each state, then the states combined votes in the electoral colleges are combined to form the national figure, in other words, if a politician wins 51% of the vote in all states, he ends up with 100% in government?

My American friends, you need proportional representation!
                        Actually in two states they are split:

The two exceptions to this are Maine and Nebraska where two Electors are chosen by statewide popular vote and the remainder by the popular vote within each Congressional district.

Found this at:

Find what you need to know about the federal campaign finance process. Explore legal resources, campaign finance data, help for candidates and committees, and more.

It seems that if all the states did it this way, the electoral college would be a little more representative of the popular vote.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Nice one Tuberski!

Comment

"Liberal nations usually don't have strong governments in my opinion"

Britain has a very strong government, is a capitalist state yet is pretty liberal.

I believe you are confusing political and civil rights. The former is only a slice out of the pie of the other.

mmmm pie!!

One could have dictators or other strong governments that fully allow the right to protest, the right to do anything, run nude down the street etc (up to the Mill Limit, see link in sig), to express their views in a full manner, and otherwise give much more civil rights than you, and still be considered a strong government.

However, I do not think a government should be too strong. Democracy is quite important to me, it is thus important to keep governments accountable, and ultimately, an instrument of the delegation of power from the people. I call greater political rights the "conduit of influence", and the wider the conduit is, in the long term, the more stable, dynamic, progressive and economically sound a society becomes, because people can change things legitimatally, and not resort to revolutions and riots with have a tendency to become violent. Protests of course I feel are rather important, asides from the great, healthy fun of being in one, they help to advertise a cause to the general public. Of course, is one going to take away my right to walk down the street? Most protests dont involve smashing stuff.
                            Thanks for explaining yourself. However you are not changing my views.

I don't think so though. Because I believe a strong leader is required to maintain full economic productivity.

You think in your idea of a state, there will be less revolution than mine? I think mine would have far less protests and revolutions, if any.

Comment

• "Thanks for explaining yourself. However you are not changing my views"

Thats cool, its good that we can have a reasoned debate. If anything, I'm sure we're both finding it most interesting.

"I don't think so though. Because I believe a strong leader is required to maintain full economic productivity"

That goes without saying, one can have a strong leader in a liberal state, who can have a generally free hand in economics. Having said that, I think business should be more or less left alone, until it starts hurting people which is where the state should intervene. Hardly communist am I ?

"I think mine would have far less protests and revolutions, if any"

Perhaps in the short term. However, with a larger conduit of the influence, the will of the people is more accurately reflected, reducing the need for revolution. Not allowing protest will not silence dissent, it will only serve to push it underground, like a sort of pressure cooker. Whilst you gain stability in the short term, you also gain rigidness and inability to change, and ironically in the long term, the society becomes unstable for the very same reasons, as people react violently against what they see as oppression. Humanity has the natural tendency in cultures to move towards more liberty.

Comment

That goes without saying, one can have a strong leader in a liberal state, who can have a generally free hand in economics. Having said that, I think business should be more or less left alone, until it starts hurting people which is where the state should intervene. Hardly communist am I ?
                                In my state, there will be a strong government which gets involved in civil rights but stays out of the economy.

Perhaps in the short term. However, with a larger conduit of the influence, the will of the people is more accurately reflected, reducing the need for revolution. Not allowing protest will not silence dissent, it will only serve to push it underground, like a sort of pressure cooker. Whilst you gain stability in the short term, you also gain rigidness and inability to change, and ironically in the long term, the society becomes unstable for the very same reasons, as people react violently against what they see as oppression. Humanity has the natural tendency in cultures to move towards more liberty.
                                I again disagree. If there is a problem send in soldiers. But to prevent the army from getting involved, there must be a secret police foundation to counter any underground thing.

I again completely disagree with every bit you are saying. You are almost saying it as fact and forcing it down my throat.

I DO NOT THINK SO.

Comment

Working...
                                X