Affirmative action..for Men.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
    I don't see why you are so quick to blame the system here in this case. I say it is the boy's own fault if they aren't learning here. So it's the schools fault if these boys can't sit down through class, do their homework, study? What these boys who are failing to perform need here is discipline, so they can catch up with the boys and girls who can do well academically.
    It's kind of hard to blame little kids. They whipped my a$$ and it didn't help a bit. You do have to teach some kids differently.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
      I don't mean students shouldn't be able to ask questions, in fact every HS teacher and professor I have come across encourages students to participate in class.
      I've had the same experience with high school teachers and college professors (as I mentioned in my last post). However, prior to high school, the asking of questions was considered to be disruptive, and got me (and others, usually males) in a great deal of trouble and/or earned me the animosity of the teacher. This severely pissed me off at the time, and spurred me on to committing bigger and better acts of disruption. When high school rolled around I was able to switch gears without too much difficulty -- my acts of pure disruption went back under the table, while my acts of disruption-***-initiative were just as strong as they'd ever been. Others weren't so fortunate -- some had repressed their "disruptive" urges to the extent that they had trouble bringing them back to the surface in high school, while others had gotten so used to their (legitimately) disruptive lifestyle that they had difficulty switching gears. Both of these latter problems tend (in my experience) to affect males far more than females, for the very reasons cited in this thread -- males are less prone to sitting still and quietly twiddling their thumbs, and so they are more likely to be labelled (often falsely) as having disciplinary problems early in their educations.

IMO, if early education were more focused on, well, education, and less focused on discipline, then the disparity would be lessened if not eliminated.
      Last edited by loinburger; May 26, 2003, 01:06.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

If men can't keep up, its their own goddamn fault. They'll then be losers whose wives earn more than them.

I'm gonna make sure that doesn't happen to me.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I wouldn't mind being a house husband. I could sit at home, watch the kids, and watch Oprah.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oh, the pain! At least watch Jerry Springer, man...
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Finally, Americans realizing the flaws of their current educational system

Cause you would love it so if American males got military type training .

You must be blind not to notice that .
              Most Americans seem to acknowledge that somethings not working, but they dont seem to want to go deeper than that
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                Oh, the pain! At least watch Jerry Springer, man...
                Alrighty, Jerry it is though maybe a bit of Montel Williams as well.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Women outclassing men 60/40 academically? Fine by me! I'll stay home and watch the kids while the wife bungles in the business jungle.

(p.s. I have no kids and am in process of divorce)

Comment

I don't see a big gender gap here (teach at a law faculty). But there are some subtle differences.

Women have overtaken men in numbers, at least when it comes to class attendence. When I was a student, it was about 50-50. Now it's about 60-40.

On average women seem to learn better, probably put more effort into learning. In one class I offered a test case for practice - got a female/male participation ratio of 17:3 (!). I asked my male colleagues what on earth they are thinking - that they will marry rich?

Another odd thing is the disparity within the groups. Among the absolutely best, there's a clear male majority. Among the absolutly worst, there's an even bigger male majority. (that observation is supported by some studies, but I'm sure there are others to dispute it)

I don't see any particular structural advantage for women though. Seems men are really just more lazy.
                    “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….†(Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Others weren't so fortunate -- some had repressed their "disruptive" urges to the extent that they had trouble bringing them back to the surface in high school,
                      Well, I must say that I do not do as well in the university system as I did in High school. What I liked, and what tends to work for me is having a structured day, five days a week for most of the year.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

One thing has to be said: Affirmative action is not the solution.

Improve learning for boys. There are ways to do this, as you've all pointed out.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Frankly, I'm all for handing society as a whole over to women. And the sooner, the better.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by HershOstropoler
                              I don't see a big gender gap here (teach at a law faculty). But there are some subtle differences.

Women have overtaken men in numbers, at least when it comes to class attendence. When I was a student, it was about 50-50. Now it's about 60-40.

On average women seem to learn better, probably put more effort into learning. In one class I offered a test case for practice - got a female/male participation ratio of 17:3 (!). I asked my male colleagues what on earth they are thinking - that they will marry rich?

Another odd thing is the disparity within the groups. Among the absolutely best, there's a clear male majority. Among the absolutly worst, there's an even bigger male majority. (that observation is supported by some studies, but I'm sure there are others to dispute it)

I don't see any particular structural advantage for women though. Seems men are really just more lazy.
                              Lots of people see this more extreme bell curve for males. I'm not sure how much is disposition and how much is intelligence. Some IQ studies show males with a higher standard deviation of IQ (but about the same mode). I've also noticed the female as more willing to take "coaching" type instruction.
                              Last edited by TCO; May 26, 2003, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                                If men can't keep up, its their own goddamn fault. They'll then be losers whose wives earn more than them.

I'm gonna make sure that doesn't happen to me.
                                I heartily agree (no sarcasm), and offer these corollaries: "If women can't keep up, it's their own goddamn fault." "If blacks can't keep up, it's their own goddamn fault." etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X