Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abortion......I will now use my psychic powers to predict the most popular....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those are all conditions that afflict humans. Normally developed humans don't act that way.
    So the blind are not persons?

As for the zygote, this shows that there are no substantial differences, with respect to personhood between the zygote and the embryo.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Gah, I knew that would come up. Shoulda preemptively said something about that. The blind are blind because there is something wrong with them, not because they're not human. If everything had gone right, they would have vision. On the other hand, an embryo that cannot see is not expected to be able to see yet, because it hasn't reached the stage at which it would develop sight.

Still, where did anyone attempt to draw a distinction between zygote and embryo? I wasn't arguing that. At least, I don't think I was.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Are you arguing for the personhood of the embryo?

If so you have just argued for the personhood of the zygote as well.

On the other hand, an embryo that cannot see is not expected to be able to see yet, because it hasn't reached the stage at which it would develop sight.
        And for the same reason, we take the general case and do not expect an embryo to function in the same way that we do because it is in a different stage of development.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• That's the thing. It is in a different stage of development, and it does function differently. That's why it is not human yet.

But I'm off to get me some food stuff.

I shall continue this endless debate later.

Sometimes this sort of thing really depresses me. Each and every point we make has a counterpoint, it's like there really isn't a right answer. Almost as if there's no point. Sigh...
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Enjoy your meal. I have to go soon as well.

It is in a different stage of development, and it does function differently. That's why it is not human yet.
            This still assumes that personhood has something to do with our current functions.

Try to see outside this point, and you may be surprised at how some of this falls into place.

Comment

• Oh I do understand what you're saying. I realize that our definition of person differs, and that this inhibits our ability to really discuss things. That's why I'm so wishy washy on this whole thing. I debate the pro-choice side because I see what it says a little bit clearer. But you definetely provide convincing arguments.

Comment

Working...
              X