No announcement yet.

Thoughts about the republican VP candidate in 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be confusing her with someone else but IIRC Rice had a university administrative job a while ago where, to everyone's surprise, she gutted affirmative action so I don't think she's really for it too much...
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

yes even though she said affirmitive action helped her in the past, she doesn't support it.

Comment

Condi would be a great VP... though I don't think Cheney will step down in 2004, and I don't think that Bush will ask him too.

Of course, Bush could rearrange his cabinet if he wished in 2004 and make Cheney National Security Advisor and move Condi to Veep.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

She'd be acceptable on foreign policy, but is she pro-life,
          Big question for me as well. Where does she stand on this issue?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I doubt she is pro-life. She really has no need to reveal that information though. It isn't in her job description.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              I doubt she is pro-life. She really has no need to reveal that information though. It isn't in her job description.
              If her job description is "leader of the United States" then it is in her job description.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

No one who has never held elected office is going to be a VP or Prez. candidate, and Condi has never won an election for anything political. She would have to run for something else first. Plus, besides policy wonks, i don't think Condi has much of a following out there.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

How about Ken Lay?
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Jeb is not tainted

Jeb is tainted, both from savings and loan, and from all the election debacles. The reps. could do much better than him.
                    Nah, S&Ls are a non-issue. If it was an issue, McCain would never have been taken seriously as a presidential contender. And Jeb squashed all concerns about the election debacles in his reelection.
                    I believe the plan from the beginning was for Jeb to succeed W, with Cheney as the figurehead vice-president.

Comment

Its about time the US had a President with nice legs.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Condi Rice was my university's provost from 1993 - 1999.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                            No one who has never held elected office is going to be a VP or Prez. candidate, and Condi has never won an election for anything political. She would have to run for something else first. Plus, besides policy wonks, i don't think Condi has much of a following out there.
                            Aside from experience in campaigning, how does holding an elected office (in general) prepare you for the position of VP? It doesnt. A governorship is certainly an asset since it shows 'executive qualities' but simply holding a congessional seat (for example) just teaches you the inside-the-beltway games. Does anyone really care that Cheney was a congressman from Wyoming? Was Al Gore better prepared to be Prez from a leadership perspective because he had sat in the senate? The answer to both questions is no.

As for her lack of following, it'll grow when she's the VP. Bush will win (or possibly lose) the election based upon his popularity at the time. It doesnt matter who the VP candidate is from that perspective. Quick, for 10 points who was Trickie Dicks VP during the election and what did he do (stand for) prior to being VP?
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I think SpencerH hit it right on the head in his last post. It doesn't matter who GWB's running mate is in 2004 - he'll win or lose the presidency on his own.

However, if the Republicans seriously want to look at "grooming" someone for an '08 presidential run, you can pretty much throw Rice (and Powell, for that matter) out the window. There's no way in hell the US is going to vote in a female or an African-American (let alone both) president any time soon, and not even much chance they'd survive the RNC.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko
                                I might be confusing her with someone else but IIRC Rice had a university administrative job a while ago where, to everyone's surprise, she gutted affirmative action so I don't think she's really for it too much...
                                IIRC the provost who followed her at Stanford said Rice did no such thing. There were some Latina professors who did not make tenure and tried to make it into an AA issues, but it was really about standards. Perhaps Lord Merciless has more info on this?

Originally posted by HolyWarrior
                                If it was an issue, McCain would never have been taken seriously as a presidential contender.
                                McCain walked away from John Keeting as soon as someting started to smell funny.

The Senate Ethics Committee probe of the Keating Five began in November 1990, and committee Special Counsel Robert Bennett recommended that McCain and Glenn be dropped from the investigation. They were not. McCain believes Democrats on the committee blocked Bennett's recommendation because he was the lone Keating Five Republican.

In February 1991, the Senate Ethics Committee found McCain and Glenn to be the least blameworthy of the five senators. (McCain and Glenn attended the meetings but did nothing else to influence the regulators.) McCain was guilty of nothing more than "poor judgment," the committee said, and declared his actions were not "improper nor attended with gross negligence." McCain considered the committee's judgment to be "full exoneration," and he contributed $112,000 (the amount raised for him by Keating) to the U.S. Treasury.
                                I Bill Frist might work, its a bit too early to tell.
                                I think Charles Hagel would be a very good candidate. His only sins apper to be that he is highly intelligent and that he is a senator from a reliably republican state (Nebraska)
                                Old posters never die.
                                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Working...
                                X