No announcement yet.

Apolyton University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I'll do it this time because I have some ideas on what tweaks to add. But thanks for offering, Sir Ralph.

Comment

Vote time:
      Hard Monarch map, or easier Emperor?

Comment

Hard Monarch (I'm on vacation )

Comment

Monarch.

Settings: 80% water, normal, temperate, 3 or 4 billion, roaming barbs (I wonder, though, will the island totally fill up with barbs so that you can't even land there pre-marines? If so, is that a bad thing, or a good one?).

I suggest the luxury prize be gems, and the island it's on should only have room for 1 city, with the gems in mountains around the edges... requiring colonies for a while. I see a star-shaped island, with gems out on the arms of the star, and a couple of hills in the middle where you can build a city.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Henry VIII.

(couldn't you make some 'wife' units?)
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Arrian,

Thanks for the reminder... I forgot to post this shot this morning.

This is the Philippines, same game.

That stack of horsies is still 11 strong. I think at maximum, there were like 30 horsemen and 10 warriors on that island!
              Attached Files
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Been away from the computer for awhile - the thread is half-a-page longer than when I left!

Why do we have to create a map? Can't we use a random (with the right settings? If alexman wants to, he can play several thousand years into the game to verify that something wacky hasn't occured in the map generator - would run the risk of having to play a few games and quit, but would be able to play without map knowledge!

Comment

To kick it up a notch, Arrian suggested creating a remote, uninhabited island wiith a monopoly of gems.

Comment

Cool Missed that post.

Comment

It may be a good idea to havea killer AI and a regular AI game again, in order to see the developpments in both games (and to ease it on less experienced players like me who would like to improve!)

--Kon--
                      Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Not a bad idea, if alexman's up for it...

BTW, I think we are seeing new killers just from 1.29... America for instance, seems to have gotten significantly better and more aggressive. Wonder what Soren did...

What happened to Konquest01?

Comment

Dunno... never heard of him...

Got this number elsewhere and kept it. Konquest is the test name of a board game my friend invented last year in college. It looked a bit like Civ, but in real life. The main point of the game was fighting for the kingdom of Kon. For those who speak french here, "Se battre pour un royaume con..." Which translates to "Fighting for a stupid kingdom..." We had a good laugh and changed the name! I kept it!

While playing Civ, I usually do not aim for C(k)onquest victory, I suck at it. I am more of the peaceful guy...

--Kon--
                          Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Those of you who don't visit CFC won't have seen this, but one of the posters there has created a very impressive little website to document the strategy involved in one of the tournament games.

Definitely worth a look!

Link:
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

It's great... carver knows his sh-t!!

Comments:

1. No barracks, which I would have built for the WCs at least.

2. Used a WC to kick-off an Army... that's a nono, as the Army will then never be able to enter unroaded jungles or mountains. Also, the GL was created by a Swordsman, which clearly should have been the base unit.

3. Be careful in that carver uses the more conservative 'cumulative' approach to combat calculations, rather than additive, which is the correct approach. He acknowledged this at CFC, but it's not made clear in the game AAR.

Great job though, have to hand it to him.

Comment

Interestingly, the author says that he has not observed 'armies that would retreat from combat rather than fight to the death'. I don't know if this is old news, but I have seen a retreating army. A sneak-attacking AI landed, beside some ancient units, two Infantry units at a hill near the coast, and I decided to take them out with a 12hp tank army (that I had been able to build because of player1's changes to the Military Academy). Killed the first Infantry with no great losses (2 or 3 hp), decided to blitz, but the second Infantry brought my army down to 1 hp. While I was fearing the worst, the army retreated.
                                "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Working...
                                X