No announcement yet.

Apolyton University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My vote would go towards the English, even though they are expansionists. And since it would be my first (and probably last) adventure with them, Monarch would suffice. The English are truly close to Mapmaking, as they start with both Alphabet and Pottery, so only 2 techs to go to galleys, the Lighthouse etc... Ought to be fun for navy lovers.

Comment

Still a little hazy on who to pick for the 5th AI civ...

While that discussion continues, how about we liven things up a little bit?

Sooo, what have been the historical reasons for naval power:

* Exploration
      * Forward projection of military might
      * Protection from same
      * Establishment / protection of colonies
      * Protection of commerce

It seems to me that we would all engage in these activities as a matter of course.

HOWEVER, what if added some goals / constraints?

For instance:

* Exploration race
      * Total naval aggression, i.e., you see an AI ship, you must kill it
      * Colonial aggression, i.e., you see an AI colony, you must capture or destroy it
      * Blockade, i.e., you must blockade at least 1 AI civ

Ideas?
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I'm with Arrian, thumbs up for the Yanks.

Comment

I wouldn't put such tight restrictions on player choices regarding the timing of attacking - i.e, must destroy all AI ships and colonies - that can play havoc with diplomacy / trading and can simply turn the game into continuous warfare.

Catt

Comment

Theseus,

The Americans do really well on these type of maps, trust me. They were my toughest opposition in that French game I just finished. I had a knock-down, drag out war (Knights/Musketeers and eventually Cavalry) with them, and was able to capture 2 cities and raze 2 more. I made no attempt to go after their core.

The "you must kill any AI ship or colony" does translate into continuous war, like Catt said, so I vote no on that.

I have an idea to "spice up" the game somewhat. I say we do something like what was done for AU102: take a random generated map, and tweak it. Have an isolated, unpopulated landmass with a luxury monopoly on it. Finders keepers, losers weepers

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Americans it is.

Great idea on the isolated landmass.

Any volunteers to create the map? It seems like the AU mod is just about done for now.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

I'll make the map, if nobody else wants to.
                But if somebody has even a small interest in doing it, I would be glad to play without knowing what's in store for us.

Comment

I'd make the map too nice Given the power of creation, I wouldn't be able to restrain myself, particularly knowing we're stuck playing such a terrible civ. Plus, the map creator can't really play normally - knowledge of the map is a big deal.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Is there any way we can draw straws?

Comment

What exact map settings do we want? Theseus, can you post precise instructions? I could try to find somebody, who creates a map for us, if it is just a random archipelago map with minor tweaks.

Comment

Would that "somebody" know what to tweak to make the game more exciting?

Comment

That is why I asked for precise instructions .

Comment

But if we post precise instructions here, it won't be a surprise any more!

Comment

SR, I got no clue!!!

Maybe there's someone in Files who likes to create, but not play? Or just doesn't care about knowing the map?

alexman, you hang out some over there, right?

If not, can someone give SR intrustructions?

Thx

Comment

Well, if the only instruction is to have an archipelago map with enough islands, far enough from each other, I would have somebody here who would do it. If it needs "improved strategical knowledge", not.

Comment

Working...
                                X