No announcement yet.

Apolyton University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hm, but why would it need to be an ongoing thing? I would think that if it is onging people would likely participate less. If it's made "official" for one of the next scenarios, people will be more inclined to "check it out", and then read the spoilers (which would contain more than a fair amount of strategy, since there's not much "storytelling" in OCC...).

The reason why I'm pushing this so is that I remember learning loads about Civ3 when I played my first few OCC games. It's not my favorite way to play Civ3, but's I think its definitely something everyone in AU should at least try out.

(I'll stop repeating myself now...)

Dominae
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

• Thanks Dom. OCC sounds difficult to me. But possibly fun. And I'd be glad to use the Vikings again. I had a lot of fun in AU204 playing as them and I'd love to give it a try a different enviroment.

BigD
      Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dominae
        Hm, but why would it need to be an ongoing thing? ...

The reason why I'm pushing this so is that I remember learning loads about Civ3 when I played my first few OCC games.
        (emphasis added)

You answered your own question. For those who are sufficiently interested, there's a lot more to be learned from OCC than can be learned from a single game. Indeed, it could easily take a game or two for a person just to get used to what is or isn't practical in OCC games. (For that matter, just picking an appropriate difficulty level could be a serious challenge for those of us not used to playing OCC.)

I wouldn't be against opening the AU 211 thread-set with a standard AU game, but AU 211 would also provide a place for people to show later games, either to ask for ideas for improvement or to suggest ideas that others might want to try. Also, because OCC games are so short, players might want to squeeze in OCC games between other AU games or such.

Comment

• Originally posted by nbarclay
          I wouldn't be against opening the AU 211 thread-set with a standard AU game, but AU 211 would also provide a place for people to show later games, either to ask for ideas for improvement or to suggest ideas that others might want to try.
          Fabulous idea. Of course, we should get a feel for what the other players want before we set up the game (and we should leave some time to finish AU206...).

Dominae

Comment

• Originally posted by Dominae
            Fabulous idea. Of course, we should get a feel for what the other players want before we set up the game (and we should leave some time to finish AU206...).

Yes. I must finish AU206. Even if it kills me I'm gonna finish this game.

BigD

Comment

• An OCC AU would be so short I wouldn't see a problem having it overlap with other courses. I also saw mention of a 5CC. Would that be worthy of an AU course?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
                An OCC AU would be so short I wouldn't see a problem having it overlap with other courses. I also saw mention of a 5CC. Would that be worthy of an AU course?
                Personally I don't see why a 5CC wouldn't be worthy of AU. Isn't AU about experiencing different aspects of the game and learning from it? I dunno. Seems like it could be a good idea to me.

BigD

Comment

• If you're inclined to try OCC, you should have no qualms about doing the same for 5CC. The two types of game play out very differently, but the general theme is the same. I think we should try out OCC first, since it involves some real lateral thinking. Then, after some "normal" games, we can go for 5CC (which I have yet to do myself).

Dominae

Comment

• I think we would learn more by OCC than with 5CC, although the two can be experimented

--Kon--
                    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

• Originally posted by Theseus View Post
                      I've taken a lot of notes over the last several days about the "Best" concept.

I herewith rename it Apolyton U., and will tease you all as follows.

1. It's critical that we have a standard mod to work with. I'll look to the group to get that done, and add my comments where appropriate. As you all know, I'm focused on human-like, killer AI opponents.

2. The curriculum. Maybe not the greatest metaphor, cause we're learning from and teaching each other, but what the heck.

I've got notes on each of these, and will put them up over the next couple of days, but here are my initial thoughts on the first 'trials':

Exploration
                      Crowding & Culture
                      Crowding & War
                      Science
                      Naval Power
                      Golden Age
                      Isolation
                      Resource Poor
                      **(e.g., the Aeson Challenge)
                      Capitol Capture
                      Great Wonders

In each, I want us to try to highlight a specific aspect of the game, and share our best moves / concepts for achieving a defined goal.

I'll post my suggestions for trial structure, settings, etc., but I expect that others will comment and help evolve the concepts before we play any of the specific games.

Also, the order listed above is random; we might want to consider an order that makes sense given the development of the mod and also the upcoming patch.

Lastly, participation by a Firaxian would be much welcome, although I don;t know if that's possible.

Must sleep.

/CivIII dreams commence
                      Having a syllabus is very important. Compared to students who do not have a curriculum, students who have a curriculum are more successful. Students who use help from services such as the best coursework paper writing service https://propaperwritings.com/essay-sample-manners.html ( on the site of which you can find great essay examples/ essay samples, that are free and that can help with wriing your own essays) succeed with greater speed. Therefore, the use of schedules and services is the way to success.
                      Children are taught good manners so that when they grow older, they will understand how to behave appropriately and will show respect and consideration toward other people. In Britain, good manners were once considered as proof of one's dignity.

Comment

Working...
                      X