• Show
Clear All

Coal
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

Whales! Not only good, the AI can't sit on them to disrupt their use.

Spice is my favorite for a city spot, should no other specials be available. Wine is my other vote - dig a hole, et voila! many shields and arrows together. Also a good spot for a city.
      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
      intelligence to few.

Comment

bananas and wxeat. Getting the city to size 3 at makimum speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
          Whales! Not only good, the AI can't sit on them to disrupt their use.
          Unlike in Civ I where you could disrupt it with a ship. That let to some good sea battles.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Silk and peat, preferably in the same city.
            Then again, from the votes here it seems things are different in 1x production.

Comment

Why do people like wine so much?

(Besides using the mined citybug that is)

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by atawa

Have you ever built your first city on wine? I don´t think so. Try it! (without mining)
                Nothing is more painful than regret.
                Don't contradict a woman - wait until she does herself

Comment

Yes, if you build in on it, at least you get the free shield. While it's nice to have it mined, it's not necessary.
                  Good Trade. It's like building on the gold to get the one free food.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by atawa
                    Ask the SGs...
                    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Whales & Wine (like the majority). If we were to count each resource equally, the Whales would = 7 at face value, the best; 6 at the despot start -- also the best & 10 maxed out (with a harbor, offshore & in a democracy), near the best. BTW, a shielded grassland maxed out would = 8 for comparison (better than some specials) and I calculated Max Wine = 11 (1 F, 5 shield (Mine & RR), 6 arrows (4 + 1 for Dem & 1 for SH -- but on a reread that might be more).

Hard to say which resource is more critical in the early game -- later on, the need for shields decreases relative to the other two.
                      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

I still would say that if I had the choice of 2 specials in my cap it would be peat and spice, use the peat for the settler factory and then the spice to catch up in science.

Comment

....and then the spice to catchup in science,..and food.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's interesting to see fish and fruit at 0.

However, I'm surprised to see gems at 0. At least they generate trade.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What can you do with gems?

I say wine because of the mining,

Oil, for the production.

and Wheat for food production, in that order.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                                It's interesting to see fish and fruit at 0.

However, I'm surprised to see gems at 0. At least they generate trade.
                                Fish suffer in comparison with whales. I always get annoyed by how I'm constantly moving workers off fish and onto whales, whenever my city grows.

In TOT, 'fruit' is an animated banana peeling itself... were that icon in regular civ2, it'd have my vote

I seldom see gems as a special in the city radius, mainly because the base terrain doesn't make much of a city site, and consequently I seldom found cities near gems. Same goes for oil and ivory.
                                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Working...
                                X