Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    Thanks STYOM! The expansion of the Empire is important even though the accessible real estate is not that exciting.

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
    1500: Leonardo's Workshop in Karakorum, all others abandon. Existing Horsemen become Elephants
    This is a frequent misconception! The Leo's upgrades for legged units goes as follows:

Chariots become Elephants which then become Crusaders after discovering relevant techs.

Horsemen become Knights with Chivalry.

When Leadership arrives all Knights and Crusaders become Dragoons and with Tactics transform into Cavalry.

--------------------------------

SG(2)

Leave a comment:

• sirsnuggles
    replied
    Is someone rousing me from my hibernation early?

All right, I'm good to go on Monday. Lafayette, if you want to play before Monday, go ahead, we can switch places, otherwise I'll steamroll on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• La Fayette
    replied
    sirsnuggles ?

(I can play anytime if you don't feel like it)

Leave a comment:

• Six Thousand Year Old Man
    replied
    1420, and STYOM is elevated to the position of Shamaness Bortei's favourite cabana boy.

Gaaah! We're weak??? This map is full of cities built on 'sweet spot' locations... we've even done some irrigating! This game displays none of the rodentian hallmarks I have come to expect.

I do see some form of shipchain towards Zulu lands, but it's missing about 5 of 8 necessary ships

Goal: More 'mass'. Our society is a lightweight among nations. We need more cities, more ships to get our goods to market quickly and safely. More units, so that we can take what is rightfully ours (Just north of us is Magellan's Expedition in Caralis... )

Ideally we'll get Steam Engine via trade, but it's more important to lay the groundwork for later growth. We have only 5 Settlers after all.

Thus, the new ruler snaps a damp towel at his advisors and...

Rushes Horsemen in Khanbalyk - we want that city producing Settlers or Caravans. Changes some workers around to facilitate faster Caravan construction in Ormuz. Presses enter.

Barbarians capture Grenoble from French

Carthaginians finish Sun Tzu. Oops, was I supposed to do something about that?

Several Caravans are built.

1440: Accidentally sink a Zulu Caravel while returning to Ormuz!
    Khorasan founded.

Barbarians rise near Basra... but across a stretch of water

1460: Not much of consequence... except that we incrementally add to caravan production in a few places and decide that we want to build Leo in Karakorum (since we have already built all supply commodities for that city).

Zulus form a Republic. Egyptians learn Iron Working.

1480: Shangtu founded.

Zulus learn Feudalism, French Monotheism.

1500: Leonardo's Workshop in Karakorum, all others abandon. Existing Horsemen become Elephants

Celts learn Republic.

1510: More rushing, incremental.

Carthaginians learn Chivalry.

1520: Kazan founded.

1530: Lots of rushed units.

We make peace with the Zulus to ensure the safety of our overseas Caravans. Some degree of safety, anyway.

1540: More rushbuilding.

8 turns doesn't seem like a lot, but I'll stop here and pass the towel of leadership to the next cabana boy in line.

Lots of expansion stuff going on - other than rushbuying Settlers and Caravans there isn't a lot to spend money on (no Diplomats ), so I figured Leo's was a decent investment. Yes, it'll kill the Ironclads when we get Electricity - but that's so far away it seemed to be irrelevant.

I was planning to build cities at (187,65), (189,77), and (208,100) in the next few turns. My successor may want to do differently, of course Take care of the 7 Caravans at sea towards Zuludom.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Julius Brenzaida
    replied
    Originally posted by Scouse Gits
    Alpines are NOT allowed! They use their own legs!!!

Jeeps however, have wheels!
    Yes, but how do you drive without ever using your legs
    It could help to step into the jeep and for some trivious stuff like, the brakes

Leave a comment:

• Julius Brenzaida
    replied
    Originally posted by duke o' york

So you can only build alpine troops in cities on hills or mountains and then once they have moved one square you have to disband them because they're not allowed to walk back up the slope?
    If it was the case, I'd be happy to build a city on a gold mountain and defend it with my alpines troops
    But it looks like the Gits do not agree

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    Just testing resourced smiley ...

SG[1]

Leave a comment:

• La Fayette
    replied
    Clads and Crooks
    Have a nice time STYOM

Leave a comment:

• Six Thousand Year Old Man
    replied
    It looks like it's my turn. Thus, I have downloaded the save and will play it by Sunday. Probably sooner.

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    Eight turns each now please

The SGs with a broken avatar and smiley

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    Alpines are NOT allowed! They use their own legs!!!

Jeeps however, have wheels!

==============================
    Gentlemen - our log and commentary -

Oh dear!
    SG[1] enquires of the cost of a day-trip to Paris with a few Crooked friends.
    Size 3 capital with Colossus - Oh Deary Dear
    10 cities!!!!!
    Weak!!!!
    Pop 1,020,000
    1100 AD
    Oh Dear!

Ormuz - citizen #1 is happy - 10 temples - we have Republic, but ...
    1100 is an oedo year - Oh Dear!

Well - we go Rep in 1180 or we use food caravans to build Karakorum or both
    Alternate scheme - get sloshed and ignore this mess

Decision - use Rep to grow Karakorum and see where we are in 1300

Annoy Carts - get War - kill Elly - at a price 2 horsies down one vet

1120 = Celebration in Karakorum; Food Caravans (4) now scheduled for Lady Liberty;
    1140 = all quiet
    1160 = Salt: Karakorum-Ulundi: 106g; Revolution
    1180 = Republic established; Nishapur celebrates;
    1200 = silence
    1220 = 3 internal routes for 49g + 12 ongoing arrows;
    1240 = more silence
    1260 = listen to the sound ...
    1280 = Rubbish: Samarkand-Zimbabwe: 158g;
    1300 = Physics->Democracy; Rubbish*2: Karakorum-Zimbabwe: 476g; Karakorum now size 8;
    1320 = quiet
    1340 = Population 1,520,000; Karakorum 10; Rush extra Lady vans
    1360 = Democracy->Steam Engine (what a surprise!); Khanbalik founded;
    1380 = Evil Zulus kill a caravan - they are scheduled for toasting! Rubbish from Kabul: 102g; Karakorum now size 12; Population 1,920,000; Revolution!
    1400 = Speaker Khan Bortei resigns gracefully and by unanimous vote of the retiring Senate is appointed High Shamaness of the Holy Mongolian Empire (Oh yes - we built The Lady); Two zulu caravans destroyed;
    1420 = 3 routes to Isandhlwana, 292g;

For our drunken sheckels - we move to 'Clad & Crook production and annexe Zululand; Meanwhilst - the vast income from our Holy Empire can fund the launderettes needed for an eventual Democracy - but conquest will be much more fun

The Gits well oiled, but feeling quite pleased with themselves.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• sirsnuggles
    replied
    And Lorries too

Leave a comment:

• Old n Slow
    replied
    I would think that Alpines are out, but Jeeps should be OK.

Leave a comment:

• duke o' york
    replied
    Originally posted by -Jrabbit
    Ever try to walk on skis?
    So you can only build alpine troops in cities on hills or mountains and then once they have moved one square you have to disband them because they're not allowed to walk back up the slope?

STYOM is right though - horsies are better than pointy-stick men because you can prevent the enemies from coming into your city radii and covering up your special squares. I like to have an archer hanging around so I can stick him on a hill or forest or whatever for the barbs to attack and then use horsies to catch the king and his bags of money. I doubt this works too well in MP, but against the barbs - or even another civ - then it's fine.

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Hmm. I thought it was clever enough to work. The dictum was, "Mongols never walk." Ever try to walk on skis?

In any case, those cavalry should do just fine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X