• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
    lots of ways to encourage people to get involved
    From our friends at www.despair.com:
    Attached Files

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "DL"?

But surely frequency of posting is not a particularly telling statistic? Doesn't it depend more on what and where you post? I've recently started playing PBEM, which of course increases posting rates quite considerably through the tracking threads. This doesn't necessarily mean you are contributing more to the community.

Back to topic - if the consensus of opinion is that newer members are being scared off by a perceived "quasi-elite", perhaps Apolyton should look at opening a new forum specifically for newbs to get acquainted with things.
      So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
      Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

You'll find the answer and more here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=115142

Comment

Ah I see, thanks. So basically it's an excuse for poly elitists to form a little club to get their post tallies up
          So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
          Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

not quite sure how a DL would get someones post count up

also a bit lost on the poly elitists bit?
            there are lots of great forums here, lots of different threads, and a vaste array of opinions, games, stories, and community all over the shop... am I missing the point
            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Well, the DL dance has become a tradition, and posts don't count in the OTF, so it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
                Ah I see, thanks. So basically it's an excuse for poly elitists to form a little club to get their post tallies up
                Its an elitist club, but doesn't serve to boost post counts. Alas.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I think the "Elitism" is pretty much confined to the OTF. And the only thing you need to get accepted down there is a bit of perserverance and a high ego/brains ratio.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni

From our friends at www.despair.com:

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I never got the DL dance when i first posted in OT.

But then I think I was a prince when I first posted there.

Cause I actually joined poly to post about Civ, wonder of wonders.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                        I never got the DL dance when i first posted in OT.

But then I think I was a prince when I first posted there.

Cause I actually joined poly to post about Civ, wonder of wonders.
                        Civ - what is civ

/me pours a cold beer
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

is a bit of perserverance and a high ego/brains ratio.

Ego: sure, need lots of it

Brains :
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Post counts went out way back but I still think they should count.
                            Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                            Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                            Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                            You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Brains definately help. See MtG in a debate if you want to see how effective intelligence can be. But ego is nice to have there too.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Do I count as a n00b?

Yes, Honghu might be a n00b, but I still have close to 2.3K posts in a little over a year.

Plus I post mainly OT now, so my ppd would be far higher if I did not.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X