No announcement yet.

Will Avatars ever return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Viva la Revolucion! The people demand the right to Apolyton! - Poly Peoples Party

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
    Ok. It's time for something durastic to happen. This cannot continue. I propose:

1. Free subscription for a week. After that, it costs...Eh, 5 dollars for Poly membership. Allows newbies to come, but weeds out onequestioners.
    Payment method?
    2. Deleting non-used accounts.

No effect. Unused acounts do not generate http connections.
    3. Accepting donations.

Only useful if the money is used to buy a second server.
    Spoiler:
    Delete the Civ3 forums.

Spoiler:
    Delete the RoN forums.

Pehaps if the RoN and Civ3 forums were hosted entirely by a different server the other forums would be able to function.
    The People of Apolyton want Apolyton back!!! POLY TO THE PEOPLE!!!

A message brought to you by:
    THE POLY PEOPLES PARTY

Interesting. /q will not end QUOTE. Thank Dan for the preview feature.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

• This may be a stupid idea but...

Maybe you could reduce load by allowing people to have the option of disabling pictures.

I know I often turn image loading off when browsing the forums as I don't really care for all the graphics. If you give it to people as an option perhaps they'll use it and it'll help with reducing traffic while allow people that like looking at all the graphics to continue to do so.

It would also help if there isn't any text on the image placeholders. As demonstrated in the picture below it screws up the formating of the forums when you have pictures turned off.

Also would there be the possiblity of a lite browsing option. Where only the more frequently used links and icons were displayed. In my opinion if you removed the civ icons to the left of the message, and only had the "profile", "edit/delete", "reply w/quote", and "link", as text links you can reduce the amount of html generated.

I had a look at the html source of what is generated for the forums and it seems there's an awful lot of generated html for the buttons and the civ-icons of each message. This generated html is usually double or triple the message length. I figure if you do what I suggested the html source will be reduced by half. Furthermore, I would think that not having to generate all those buttons and image links for each page view will reduce your server load.

Just my ideas.

Comment

• I have just looked at the source myself and Kody is right.
        Avatars, sigs, image attachments, and [img] codes can all be turned off in the control panel. It would be nice if there were also options for turning off flags and civgroups. Perhaps a poll should be posted to see who would use these options?

Kody, there is a lite style setting, it's just spelled wrong. With style set to Light Ultra Special, "profile", "edit/delete", "reply w/quote", "link", "report", and "ip" all get text links with no pic.

Perhaps the default settings for new users should be to have avatars and sigs turned off and the style set to Light?
        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
        XGalaga.

Comment

• Hrmm yes you are correct.

However the one thing that I really need from the normal version that isn't in the Light Ultra Special is the "last post by ". I've found that helps stop me from opening threads up that were posted to by spammers.

If that was used I would switch to the light ultra special.

The light ultra special appears to half the html generated from what I can see.

Comment

• I noticed that too, but I'm going to stick with light ultra special, no avs, no imgs, and no sigs because of the loading times I'm getting.
            XGalaga.

Comment

• Yeah it's super fast when you get rid of all of them .

Turning off smiles, and just getting text would be a nice option too.

Comment

• There is a way to turn them off when you post, but the option isn't next to the quick reply box, so I don't use it.
                XGalaga.

Comment

• Dropping [img] tags for most users would work, since most of us don't need to view pictures.

However, I think some kind of donations to buy a second server would be the best option in order to improve Apolyton's uptime.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• We need more RAM!

Comment

• Re: Re: Viva la Revolucion! The people demand the right to Apolyton! - Poly Peoples Party

Originally posted by geeslaka

Payment method?
                      Cheques, cash, paypal, etc...

2. Deleting non-used accounts.

No effect. Unused acounts do not generate http connections.
                      Thats ok. Delete them anyway. They deserve it.

3. Accepting donations.

Only useful if the money is used to buy a second server.
                      Well yes, thats what I meant

Spoiler:
                      Delete the Civ3 forums.

Spoiler:
                      Delete the RoN forums.

Pehaps if the RoN and Civ3 forums were hosted entirely by a different server the other forums would be able to function.
                      No. We need to delete them. Especially Civ3. We must eliminate that scourge from the face of the Earth!!!
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• I hadn't really noticed that they were gone until I read this thread. I wouldn't object to having the flags removed. You can already post your location, no need for a flag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verto
                          I hadn't really noticed that they were gone until I read this thread. I wouldn't object to having the flags removed. You can already post your location, no need for a flag.
                          hi ,

yes , but the flag is more then just a flag , its also a link to all the people who have it , and a statement for some , ......

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Good evening, everyone. Some comments on the suggestions that have surfaced in this thread to date since the most recent avatar disablement:

(1) If and when a feasible technical infrastructure can be put into place to manage a subscription-based system, it will be done. As I have said before, this pay-for service would entitle subscribers to specific non-content related features (e.g. ad disablement, increased private message storage space).

(2) Deleting unused forum accounts would first require a benchmark (timeline) of what exactly defines 'unused'. More to the point, there presence or non-presence has no bearing on server load considerations.

(3) Putting aside the monetary consequences behind the acquisition of a separate server for a moment: it is more of an administrative nightmare than an aid.

(4) As far as donations go, see my commentary on this at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...38#post2238438

----------
                            Dan; Apolyton CS
                            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

• Crazy Idea: How about images and avatars off by default?

Comment

• That sounds good to me, Frozzy. It may not help much, but then again it might. Either way, it won't cost anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X