Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMC, LzPrst and I tested a pitboss game, it worked smoothly, we needed a patch for the pitboss to work though. (a fan-patch)

Let's try it with a lot of players next week again to see if it works for huge numbers. Please all be available next week during game time
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• You mean HOTW5 GT?

Comment

• Hey lz and others.

ozzy and I were the only ones who turned up a few weeks ago to test out pitboss. We think we got it working. Subsequently I made a save for 12 civs based on posted requests (traits wre not requested) and posted it.

With 12 players you will NEVER get good starts for everyone so I'm not going to get into each player who has a start issue asking for a RESTART. A few WILL get Tundra and ice.

As I said we'd be mad to go with more than 12 and this is another reason.

ozzy suggested pitboss as a way of keeping the game online and producing stats etc. I'm easy either way as I have NO experience with pitboss but it sounds interesting.

I'm happy to load up a brand new game based on the number of players who show up on the agreed start date and time and we all get what we get.

I posted the pitboss save so you could see your starts and my idea there was IF someone was really unhappy they'd have to post a pic of their start and we decide in the thread if it warrants a restart. I'm dead against them though.

So if we start a new fresh game, at start of session One we won't have any time to stuff around with those that complain about their starts.

I've never asked for a restart (for goodness sakes I was England in HOTW5!) and I've looked at saves of games where other players have asked for restarts. It's unbelievable really - in most cases I'd have played them.
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by MMC
          BTW, you're not really meant to be passing the pitboss save around. Only one person really needs it, and that's whoever is acting as the game admin.

BTW, whoever will be running the game (I assume that'll be Cyber or deity) should goto www.civstats.com and grab the uploader. Then contact me and I'll setup the webpage for this game.
          I d/l it. Now what?

*deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Another thing is we should stick to me as host (not because I want to be) but because of some vaguaries in the Internet that precipitates me in Australia as having a better chance of hosting players from USA, Europe, Singapore and Australia. AS shown in HOTW5.
            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Just remind me why we can't start this game, like next weekend?
              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by Prussia
                You mean HOTW5 GT?
                pretty close yeah.

HOTW5 was 2330 UTC I think.
                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by Prussia
                  You mean HOTW5 GT?
                  No, HOTW7 gametime (the time we agreed on, it doesn't seem like any other time will make it)

Comment

• Originally posted by deity
                    Hey lz and others.

ozzy and I were the only ones who turned up a few weeks ago to test out pitboss. We think we got it working.
                    Hey, I was in France, don't blame me for not turning up
                    We got it working yesterday for 3 players as well, but I think we should test it with much players (8+) before we really start as well to see if any of us has major problems.

Subsequently I made a save for 12 civs based on posted requests (traits wre not requested) and posted it.

Traits were requested since almost everybody had already chosen a civ and a leader before
                    I had chosen Ghandi.
                    Not to mention that it was vacation time when you requested it, I was in France and never saw your request :P

With 12 players you will NEVER get good starts for everyone so I'm not going to get into each player who has a start issue asking for a RESTART. A few WILL get Tundra and ice.

That's true with random maps, maybe we should adjust a random map in the worldbuilder to get a ballanced map. Did you chose ballanced resources btw?

As I said we'd be mad to go with more than 12 and this is another reason.

good reason after all.

ozzy suggested pitboss as a way of keeping the game online and producing stats etc. I'm easy either way as I have NO experience with pitboss but it sounds interesting.

That means that we need someone who'll have his computer running 24/7. I wonder if someone is willing to do that.
                    I think the person with the best computer should host.

I posted the pitboss save so you could see your starts and my idea there was IF someone was really unhappy they'd have to post a pic of their start and we decide in the thread if it warrants a restart. I'm dead against them though.

I'll post a picture! It's really bad!

I've never asked for a restart (for goodness sakes I was England in HOTW5!) and I've looked at saves of games where other players have asked for restarts. It's unbelievable really - in most cases I'd have played them.
                    Your england start wasn't bad! A bad start is tundra and ice. And not more then 1 grassland tile.

Just remind me why we can't start this game, like next weekend?

bc of The Capo (he's moving to his new house) and OmnipotentTrout (who doesn't have his connection yet).

pretty close yeah.

HOTW5 was 2330 UTC I think.

No, HOTW5 was 22:30 UTC. This one'll be 23:00 UTC

Comment

• civil_obedience

I'm sorry, but I don't think we'll find a gametime better then the one we found already. That means that you, unless you can make time free for the game, unfortunately can't participate

I really hope you can make time for the game! Lots of us play at ackward times (I play 01:00 - 04:00 in the night!).

this timezone will be a popular gametime for all diplogames in the future I predict. Even earlier. I'm really sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy

bc of The Capo (he's moving to his new house) and OmnipotentTrout (who doesn't have his connection yet).
                        So are we certain that Capo is playing? You know what he's like

I think it wise to go sooner than later, although I don't want anyone to miss out. However we may need to maintain momentum and possibly make some trade offs? What do people think? And what accurate info do we have on when 'everyone' will be ready?

We've decided on a time slot so how about we decide on a date...

I can start this week.

Based on replies we set the date and play with those who show I guess.

---

If pitboss means running 24/7 as host then I better not host.

But best computer does not mean best hosting as HOTW5 showed.
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• We need a finally agreed rules reminder post before game start if someone can be bothered collating them?

I hope you all agree on no restarts though?

12 players on Terra Huge Balanced will ALWAYS mean a few dicey starts.

I looked at Cyber's start (since we aren't using my pitboss save) and his start is definitely one I'd play with. This is the type of start that a few other players have complained about in other games but I think it's ridiculous to keep restarting if someone doesn't like such a start and then a more easy going player just accepts it. Not everyone will have perfect grass etc. And thank God! We want an interesting game. (Plus you can't only judge a start by the first city squares)
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• This is the type of start a few players will almost certainly get on any game we start.
                            Attached Files
                            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• We should have stuck to one thread

I'm only posting here now.

I assume we are playing Noble level which means you will get some techs from huts (or should we avoid that?)
                              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Not a Problem

Not a problem

Comment

Working...
                                X