Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Else Prefer Civ 3's Graphics Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alms66
    There's an easier solution to that, IMO, simply highlight the unit in red, much like your unit is highlighted in blue for promotions, and put red dots on the minimap...
    it then becomes very easy to find and kill all enemies.
    How would one go about doing this?
    Sounds like a great idea!

Comment

I fall in the minority vastly preferring Civ3 graphics, too. I am simply having troubles "seeing" things in CIV - I can't recall missing a resource or being unsure about what kind of terrain this or that tile is in Civ3. Happens to me all time in CIV. Civ3 was way easier on my eyes... graphics were never getting in my way... they do all the time in CIV.

:sigh:

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Civ1 graphics (DOS version, duh)
        bah! amiga version was far superior!
        By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by vondrack
          I fall in the minority vastly preferring Civ3 graphics, too. I am simply having troubles "seeing" things in CIV - I can't recall missing a resource or being unsure about what kind of terrain this or that tile is in Civ3. Happens to me all time in CIV. Civ3 was way easier on my eyes... graphics were never getting in my way... they do all the time in CIV.

:sigh:
          I actually agree about the resources, but they know that as they provided the resource icon for the map straight out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            I actually agree about the resources, but they know that as they provided the resource icon for the map straight out of the box.
            Yeah, I play with the bubbles on for the most of time (they do not help the map look any nicer, though). But that's not just the resources... it's how the whole game feels. Looking at a Civ3 map, it was clear, crisp, and easy to "get" quickly for me. Looking at a CIV map, I have to put much more effort into just "reading" it.

There was another great point made by an earlier poster... the zoom feature is great... but because of how difficult it is to read the graphics for me, I actually play with a pretty high zoom on (to be able to recognize stuff easily) - eventually having a smaller part of the map displayed onscreen (compared to Civ3)...

I know I have to live with the 3D, it is not going to go... I didn't mean to whine (well, not much), just express my understanding and support for the OP. I would happily spend the full game price for a mod clothing CIV core engine into Civ3 graphics.

Comment

resources aren't that hard to spot. But I keep the zoom in closer than you guys probably. I definately can't see as much of the map as the civ2 days.

The real annoying thing is my middle mouse scroll button is not working. . I have to use the keyboard which is real annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                resources aren't that hard to spot. But I keep the zoom in closer than you guys probably. I definately can't see as much of the map as the civ2 days.

The real annoying thing is my middle mouse scroll button is not working. . I have to use the keyboard which is real annoying.
                My scroll button is working fine on Civ, (three-years old.) Mice are cheap, try buying a new one.

I've been keeping the map in pretty close too, but I've already had my rant on Civ4 graphics.
                You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

CIV3 had not only snOOpy's terrain mod but also a watercolor terrain mod, which gave a real new look to the game.
                  I find Blue Marble very nice but a bit too 'subtle'. I long for a more heavy terrain mod, and watercolor would suit me fine.

However terrain modding is obviously more tricky with 3D in CIV4 than it was with 2D in CIV3.

Comment

I wish someone would figure out how to make the trees smaller in Civ4 (so that forests actually look like forests), and also to make it so that mountain tiles have more than one mountain in them.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I think Watercolor terrain mod was what Ihad for civ3. If it was it was major improvment. Irrigation was a farm instead of some blue lines, and Bonus Grassland was much eaiser to notice.
                      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

After a quick search on the watercolor terrain I was thinking about, It appears it was made by Warpstorm. To refresh our memory let's have a look:

Standard CIV3 terrain:

Warpstorm Watercolor terrain:

That's what I call a graphic mod!

Comment

Way too blurry, but not bad. However, I still prefer cIV's graphics.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The watercolor mod was the most horrible looking of the available graphic mods.

Comment

Like watercolours it is an acquired taste.

Comment

Originally posted by alms66
                                The watercolor mod was the most horrible looking of the available graphic mods.
                                I agree, watercolor looks horrible
                                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X