Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Else Prefer Civ 3's Graphics Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Else Prefer Civ 3's Graphics Too?

Hey everyone,

I recently fired up CIV after a long break from playing and I find myself annoyed with the graphics once again. I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way but I much prefer the graphics from Civ 3. They are simple but gentle on the eyes, and there aren't too many movements on the screen at once. If someone were to make a civ 3 graphics mod for CIV I would be very greatful, anyone know if something like this exists?

Jerh9e1k5

I don't know of any Civ3-type terrain mods (though I'm sure there's SOMETHING). I've been using the BlueMarble terrain since nearly the beginning and I don't think I could go back to vanilla.

here

Edit:
    er... newer version

Comment

I prefer civ3's graphics as well (at least those that were fixed up by Rhye, not the originals). As far as I know there is no "civ3" graphics mod for civ4, but there is what's called Blue Marble Terrain, that makes the map a little more pleasant, IMO. EDIT - beat me to it.

Comment

No. No. And no. I was just admiring the Horse archer units I had on the map awhile ago... and thinking... I love how much personality they have, unlike in CIV III. I also like the diplomacy graphics MUCH more. I can actually stomach to look at them, and a few of them (Hapsh, of Egypt) actually make me smile once in awhile. I even forgive Isabelle her ways because she's personable when we're face to face...

NO CIV III gfx for me ever again!

Comment

You must be joking.

Civ4 graphics >>> Civ3 graphics
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Here is the graphices scale I see.

-Civ4 graphics (without particle effects on)
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -Civ3 graphics that I downloaded
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -
            -Civ3 graphics
            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
            The video may avatar is from

Comment

Civ1 graphics (DOS version, duh)
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Civ1 graphics (DOS version, duh)

Graphics are terrible, it would be so much better if it was all text based. You type in a plot (like (3,4) and it'll tell you what's on it. That'd be way better.

Comment

I was shocked at how awful the initial Civ IV screenshots were, but since playing I've been nothing but in-love with them. Going from 3d back to 2d now would be unthinkable.
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Qwertqwert
                    it would be so much better if it was all text based. You type in a plot (like (3,4) and it'll tell you what's on it. That'd be way better.
                    QFT

I'd love an option that would allow me to turn off the glorified spread sheet that is the map view and have something that takes up less processing time and is easily interpretable.

But CivIV is prettier than CivIII.
                    LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Does anyone else prefer Civ3's graphics too

Good god no.
                      Last edited by DrSpike; July 31, 2006, 06:07.

Comment

Don't worry. Apparently the 3D graphics are central to the game core and no such thing can be implemented.

LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwertqwert
                          Graphics are terrible, it would be so much better if it was all text based. You type in a plot (like (3,4) and it'll tell you what's on it. That'd be way better.
                          This is silly-talk.

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I think the graphics are a great step forward. They are just pretty overlays on a fairly well designed game which I also think is a step forward) but they are fun in my opninion.

I think you will find you are in a very small minority, no matter how vocal it gets.
                            If you aren't confused,
                            You don't understand.

Comment

Hell no, the graphics of Civ IV are waaaaaaay better. Ok, Civ III with some of the mods (Rhye's was great) were pretty good as well, but nothing compared to Civ IV.

Just thinking that Civ III had only 3(?) levels of zoom, none of which were any good... no thanks.
                              Or the buildings and wonders that now are actually on the map. And the aqueducts and the animations and and and...

Sure, the terrain colors could be a little better, but the graphics as a whole are way better than Civ III's.

Comment

Working...
                              X