Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SIMPLE and EASY Ideas for the Patches

Originally posted by yin26
    [11] Show the total cost of upgrading all units. Currently, only the individual cost is shown when you hover over the upgrade button. (can anyone confirm that this is possible currently, and if so how it is done)
    Press ALT and then move your mouse over the upgrade button. It will show you the total amount cost of upgrading all similar units.

(Note: If your mouse is already over the upgrade button and you press ALT, nothing happens. You will have to refresh the display by moving the mouse away and then over the button again)
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

Comment

This should be an easy fix since practically every application except CIV does it correctly:

Add the ability to load from (and save to) a redirected my documents/my games folder.

For whatever reason, CIV autosaves to the correct location on a redirected folder, but then you can't manually load the autosave because CIV's load screen only allows you to load from a local drive. The same problem exists for saving manually.

There are workarounds-- I can copy the autosave to a temp folder on my C drive and then load it, and I am guessing that I could map a drive to the folder, but really saving and loading should work properly.

Comment

[32] Add a "religion" tab to custom game options screen, allowing you to disable some of the religions in game. Alternatively, have a slider allowing you to select a number of religions in game (from, say, 2 to 7) that will be elected randomly.

This could be very useful for small games, where having more religions than players kinda takes away a lot of strategy involved in rushing to get a religion etc.
        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
        - Frank Herbert

Comment

*bump* (maybe this could be stickied?)
          The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
          - Frank Herbert

Comment

I'd love to see a "pause at start of turn" sort of option; even though I'm running 2.4, 1024, 6800GT without any AA on the game still freezes for a good 10 seconds or so at the start of every turn later in the game and I miss quite a bit of action.

Comment

Foxhawk, sounds like you already have that 'feature'!

[33] Add an indicator to let us know how old certain deals are, so we can tell when we can break them without penalty.

[34] Mouseover information tends to 'fall through' the UI layer and onto the terrain sometimes. If I hover over a leader name, for example, occasionally the dipomatic information disappears after a couple seconds and I get terrain information instead.

[35] Disable or make optional autopathing for naval vessels when you give an impossible order. For example, if there is an isthmus with two land tiles diagonal of each other, and I use the number pad to send the unit diagonally across it, it will instead go to autopilot with a navigation path around the peninsula.

[36] There is no update to city locations on explored terrain unless you trade maps. Is there (and if not, would you add) a diplomatic ability so that you get information on where newly founded cities exist out in your fog of war?

[37] The 'all' upgrade command seems to do a lot more work than the gamer intends. If rifleman is available, and you mouse over pikemen and spearmen, both types of units have the same "all" cost, and it appears that if you use "all" when a spearman is selected, it upgrades all units on the same upgrade path. Is this intentional, or did I imagine it? This can be an issue if you issue the order to Spearmen => Riflemen, and intend to go Pikemen => Grenadiers... Add an option so that Alt = All of same type, Shift+Alt = all of same path.

[38] Right-clicking a city label does not open the same menu we get at the start of a new turn to set city production once it's finished the last item. Instead, it shows the pictographic list as seen on the City Screen. I prefer the text menu, so change the functionality so that left click behaves the same as it does now, and right click opens the production menu.

[39] The city garrison list needs to either be a bit wider or start wrapping to multiple rows. The side arrow was subtle enough that I thought I lost a great leader somehow. Scrolling sideways was a new trick to learn for me...
              Last edited by duodecimal; November 3, 2005, 10:29.

Comment

Updated. Great ideas!
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

got this in this thread, but here to add it:

[40] fix the tech advisor: a) other F1-F12 shortcuts do not work; b) escape doesn't exit the screen; c) it is not centred unlike other advisor screens; d) right-clicking for civilopedia exits back to the game and selects the thing you right-clicked

[41] tech advisor improvement requests: it would be nice to see by different colours: for a) which techs are immediately researchable; b) (optionally) which techs are researchable with 1 extra tech

[42] tech advisor: sid's tips are nice, but mostly the exact same thing as is written in the description just lines above... maybe something like "civil service is a crucial tech that opens up many other branches" would be more helpful.
                  - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                  - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

[43] number pad keyboard shortcuts "extended" because notebooks do not have number pads but instead the normal arrows and pgup pgdown, etc. see this link for details how imagined

Comment

Doh! Yin, please update my wording... seems you grabbed my pre-edit text, which was a bit meandering and sloppy.

Comment

[44] Custom Maps in Hot Seat Play (from cni_crazylegs)

Comment

and mods: please top this thread

Comment

not trying to spam, but these ideas keep coming AFTER other posts

[45] when exiting trade negotiations, exit back to where we were, and not back to the main game screen. eg back to the resource-foreign advisor. also accept ESC to quit negotiations.

Comment

Excellent. All updated.

PLEASE START THE NEXT NUMBER AT 47
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

[47] Add the ability to delete saved games from the load game or save game dialog box

[48] Add a close button to the city screen
                                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                                --George Bernard Shaw
                                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                                --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X