Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be making my donation this weekend! On my way out to work, but when I get home....

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Oh, what the hell, I'll make my donation as well.
      The good thing is, if the game is good, yin has to eat it. If yin is right, he doesn't have to eat it and he ends up with a worthless free game
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

LOL. You guys crack me up. I guess this is getting somewhat serious now. The idea of eating a game box, I must say, seems somehow less romantic as the days go by...

Cyber: The deal I made with Markos is that if I think ICS (or my version of that which is "blindingly building more and more cities is always better all the time") or dull combat are still strong in Civ 4, then I will delete the game from my computer (seriously) and ship the copy back to Markos at my own expense so another person who will enjoy the game can get a chance to.

By the way, I stick with my orginal counter idea: If you guys want a Ph.D.-like review, Vel is clearly your man! How about if you guys give Vel the game, and I'll tape a video of me eating at a nice Italian restuarant...free! How about that?
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

ah ah ah, don't try to bypass the lunchbox, I mean, box lunch!

Seriously funny thread tho and no matter if your a yin or yang supporter, it proves one thing imho: Civ still does still move some ppl on a deep level, a quality which the majority of computer games cannot achieve.

Whatever cIV will be, it cannot be any worse than III was (especially the MP aspect which was the reason I bought it in the first place). And hey, there's modders all around so even if it's no good out of the box yin will have to eat the box eventually!

Comment

Yin,

Another question that I am curious about. Could you name some of the posters here whose reviews of Civ4 you would read and pay serious attention to? In other words, which posters do you believe could write reviews that could sway you / make you buy the game?
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Vel would be ideal for a indepth review...

That is, if anyone could rip him away from his new wife when the game does come out.

And if it stops him from writing his current story (in the Candle'Bre private forums), I WILL STRONGLY OBJECT!!!

Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                Yin,

Another question that I am curious about. Could you name some of the posters here whose reviews of Civ4 you would read and pay serious attention to? In other words, which posters do you believe could write reviews that could sway you / make you buy the game?
                Could be a nice thread this. ^^

Vel
                Aeson
                Soren
                Dominae
                Sir Ralph
                Vondrack
                Yin
                many more...
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I think the official strategy guide published by Bradygames will be worth the money for it, as I respect the person they have contracted to write it, so you might consider that as an option as well.

CS
                  Global Admin/Owner
                  Civilization Players Leagues
                  www.civplayers.com
                  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

I'm glad to announce the expansion of the fund. It's now called: The YIN-VEL Fund!

Vel has agreed to write a review and (thanks to your contributions) will be sent a copy of civ4 on release day.

This doesnt change the process. All contributions will go towards covering the total cost. As the target is now double (close to 150$) those $2 contribution will need to be bigger (but so will be your PLUS subscription )

We are setting a goal of 50%, e.g. 50% coverage of the fund by (PLUS supported) contributions and 50% by Apolyton Holdings Inc.

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckSoldier
                      I think the official strategy guide published by Bradygames will be worth the money for it, as I respect the person they have contracted to write it, so you might consider that as an option as well.

CS
                      I know him as well and I concur
                      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I couldn't stand hardly looking at the screens for Pirates2! simply because I thought they looked so darned goofy
                        what are you talking about? those girls were hot!
                        it's a shame Sid isnt doing a Pirates: San Andreas! expansion....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          I couldn't stand hardly looking at the screens for Pirates2! simply because I thought they looked so darned goofy
                          what are you talking about? those girls were hot!
                          it's a shame Sid isnt doing a Pirates: San Andreas! expansion....
                          Ha Ha, my ten year old still giggles everytime he see ones of the Governors Daughters or a bar maid with "huge tracks of land"

Ill see about contributing to the fund this weekend. Does Vel have to eat the box as well
                          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

The same for the 9 or 10 out of 10 star reviews. A lot of that is useless, too ("I haven't even opened the box yet but can tell you this is best game ever!"), though sometimes revealing in a positive sense ("I used to beat Deity routinely. I just lost --badly-- on Monarch...and I've been playing non-stop for a week.").
                            Yin- you sir, have a very twisted view of games. If a professional reviewer can't beat a game easily on Monarch level, then I certainly can't beat the game at Prince level (or Regent or whatever they're calling it in Civ IV)... and that, frankly, is just frustrating.
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Those "professional reviewers" are sending out unprotected Settlers and getting overexcited about how much you can automate in the game. I have some trust in those game review sites when it comes to mainstream genres and games - Age of Empires 3, FEAR, Battlefield 2, Oblivion, those sorts of games. However, I have very little trust in their reviews about Civ games, which are relatively a niche. Those reviewers are very likely not to know Civ well and to largely miss the point - as seen in the recent IGN and GameSpot articles.
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                                Ill see about contributing to the fund this weekend. Does Vel have to eat the box as well
                                no vel hasnt made any claims about civ4

just the fact the he will be newly married when he gets the game will be enough pain

Comment

Working...
                                X