• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The YIN-VEL Fund: Join the FUN!

The Target!

Dimensions:
    7.50 inches x 5.50 inches x 1.25 inches

[q=Yin on 10/07/05]If ICS isn't still the dominant strategy in Civ 4, then I'll eat (at least part) of the cardboard box! And if combat isn't as dull as ever, I'll eat more parts![/q]

Apolyton proudly announces The Yin-Vel Fund!

Our goals:
    1) To provide Yin with a copy of Civ4 so that he feels obligated to keep his promise!
    2) To provide Vel with a copy of Civ4 so that he writes a preview for us as well as have something to do on his honeymoon trip

The results of our effort:
    1) Yin & Vel promise to write an honest review of Civ4 within reasonable time (3 weeks)
    2) Depending on the outcome we'll hopefully have photographic evidence (a live video feed possiblity is being explored ) of Yin being a real man that keeps his word!

Share the fun!:
    You can be part of this project! Go to our Apolyton PLUS section http://apolyton.net/plus and get a $2 (or bigger) subscription for you or a friend, adding "YIN-VEL" (or any message you want to sent to Yin & Vel ) in the "Your note to the Apolyton team" message box that you will see during the Paypal paying process.

We will put all proceeds from PLUS with the special "Yin-Vel" message towards covering the cost (about $150 via Chips&Bits). You will of course have your PLUS subscription as an added value to being part of this fun project If the fund raising target isnt met by October 10 we'll just cover the remaing amount anyway.

A list of contributors and their messages of support will be posted here.

Dont wait more, help our cause!

OUR FUND IS FULLY COVERED!
    Pre-order for Yin and Vel will be arranged in the coming days. Updates will be posted on this thread

List of Contributors

1) Darkstar
    2) Drakan
    3) CyberShy
    4) Velociryx
    5) Yin
    Last edited by MarkG; September 27, 2005, 20:25.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I'll definitly contribute to this.
    I think Firaxis should contribute as well, to them it's a huge way to market their game!

"Even our worst critic had to admit this game is da bomb and had to eat the gamebox!" or something like that

can't wait
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

As much fun as that would be, I'd much rather spend my money on sending the game to Vel or hexagonian or some other Apolyton vet I actually respect, and get a review from them. Yin can pay for his own copy, what did he ever do to get one for free, besides whinging and trolling?
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I second that

Comment

Locotus does have a point.
          Why wouldn't yin buy his own box? He'll most obviously do that anyway.

And I think that yin is a man who'll stick to his word and I'm sure he'll film his box eating.

Comment

yeah yin, what have ever you done for the civ community?
            short memories

anyway, we can expand the fund idea(vel sounds good) if there are more contributions

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              yeah yin, what have ever you done for the civ community?
              short memories
              That was in a previous millenium, ones credit only extends for so long -- especially considering what he's done since then...
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I dunno, it may be kind of fun watching him eat the box

We might even get a barf shot
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

LOL!

First, if it matters, I won't be buying Civ4 upon release. If it isn't clear what the typical pattern is in the industry (with few exceptions) about releasing half baked games and then charging you again for finished code with an expansion pack, then what can I say?

As for what I have done since Civ3, the answer is obvious: I've stopped blindly believing in a game simply because it has Sid's name on it. The guy has put Firaxis on auto-pilot and is cashing in on his fame. O.K. Fair enough. The guy probably deserves it. But smart gamers should also be critical of what happened with Civ 3...and I continue to be critical. Yes, this annoys some people (of course the fanboys but also the Peter Pan-type player who just wants to believe in the magic), but it's also an important role in the community, like it or not.

So, back to this topic:

For anybody willing to join in on this project, even if you detest my criticisms, one thing is for sure: I will keep my promises. And I'd like to expand on the deal here, Markos:

A] If I find that game relies on city sleaze and has dull combat as always, I will still do the review but will then ship back the game to you, at my expense. Then the next person on your list can have the copy.

B] If the game is really oustanding, in addition to the review, I will eat portions of the box -- on video if we can work that out.

Finally, and this might sound strange coming from me, this entire process of anticipating, criticising/hyping a game like this is all part of the fun. I realize that on the surface I seem to take things too seriously, but the truth is that computer games are a diversion -- nothing more. If Civ 4 tanks, there will be more great games than any of us can hope to play with anyway. So lighten up, people!

By the way, truth be told, a review from Vel would almost certainly offer far more intricate analysis of inner game workings than what I would produce. Certainly I'd do my Review Machine thing as before, and I'd give the straight deal for people sitting on the fence, but I have to say that if the goal here is a nearly Ph.D.-like review of a game and NOT watching perhaps Civ4's most notable critic eat a game box, well, then, the game should go to Vel!
                  Last edited by yin26; September 22, 2005, 07:26.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I like your expanded deal. If not to someone else for a review, we could put the box in a contest. "win a copy of civ4 signed by yin!"

but since you're going to like the game we'd better raise more funds to have another copy

Comment

But what if the entire worlds thinks that civ4 handles ICS very well but yin still says that it doesn't...........
                      I think he should still eat the box in that case

We can't depend too much on his own review on this matter

Comment

Hmmm, that's an interesting point. Perhaps a poll on these issues would be the fair thing to do?
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                          ... *snip* ....

As for what I have done since Civ3, the answer is obvious: I've stopped blindly believing in a game simply because it has Sid's name on it. The guy has put Firaxis on auto-pilot and is cashing in on his fame. O.K. Fair enough. The guy probably deserves it. But smart gamers should also be critical of what happened with Civ 3...and I continue to be critical. Yes, this annoys some people (of course the fanboys but also the Peter Pan-type player who just wants to believe in the magic), but it's also an important role in the community, like it or not.
                          .... *snip*....

What have you done? NOTHING! You've *****ed, moaned and complained, but I haven't seen a half decent idea to try and fix the issues you point out.

Your arguements thus lack meaning because of this lack of thought. Sure, you were a hit before Civ3, but since then I've seen nothing but chest-beating and 13-year old "mummy" cries.

Also, your attempts to put down a game that isn't even released yet are clear examples of self-advertisment.

Sorry dude, but to a lot of people you're just an old burnt-out windbag.

Dale

Comment

Youre going to end up eating the box whatever reasons you give for letting another do the review it seems
                            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I've pitched a states-based idea that many people have found quite interesting, in fact. And what have you done besides become my groupie?

Comment

Working...
                              X