No announcement yet.

Do you Wii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use it as an example of a rather nifty idea that is flogged to death to the point of being annoying.

The gravity gun is the perfect example -- it was over utilized in HL2 to the point that I didn't even finish the game because I got bored. I don't find it fun to stack crates with a gravity gun, sorry.

And all gimmicks are really fun til they get old. The point of the gimmick is they don't add real depth, they're nifty features that their designers rely on as a one-trick-pony to the expense of actual gameplay.

There are certain games the Wiimote would work well for, but it doesn't work well for all games. Or even most?

And how is HL2 a competing product? Isn't it a Windows and Xbox/Xbox 360 game...? From a company founded by a bunch of Microsoft execs...? There goes your theory.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

But you consider Gears of War incredibly innovative, Asher?
      I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
        But you consider Gears of War incredibly innovative, Asher?
        Incredibly innovative? No. Touches of little innovation, combined with superb production values and overall a very well-polished, well-done game.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

And how is HL2 a competing product? Isn't it a Windows and Xbox/Xbox 360 game...? From a company founded by a bunch of Microsoft execs...? There goes your theory.
          Principle competitor for the Halo franchise, the killer ap of the Xbox line.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
            Principle competitor for the Halo franchise, the killer ap of the Xbox line.
            But Half-Life 2 is an Xbox game too?

That's such a ridiculous comment...

Why don't you boys focus on the argument and not on ridiculous assertions that really make no sense?

Comment

But Half-Life 2 is an Xbox game too?

That's such a ridiculous comment...

Why don't you boys focus on the argument and not on ridiculous assertions that really make no sense?
              A PC game, with an Xbox port. IE not a principle motivator to buy an Xbox, as Halo is.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                A PC game, with an Xbox port. IE not a principle motivator to buy an Xbox, as Halo is.
                That still doesn't make sense.

Either way it's driving a Microsoft platform.

The reality is it's not a competitor to anything I'm very fond of. In fact, I don't see it as anything close to competition for Halo 2 -- Halo 2's strongpoint is multiplayer, which...suffice to say, Half-Life 2 sucks at.

We're also well past the point where Halo or Halo 2 are principle motivators for anything. The Xbox isn't even in production anymore, and it's certainly not a motivator for the 360.

The fact is you guys can't deal with the meat of the argument (how game makers are quick to latch onto minor gameplay enhancers, hammer the hell out of them to the point of letting the rest of gameplay slide) and instead making incredibly weak arguments about biases...biases against Microsoft Windows games?

I'm budgeting a quad-core GeForce 8800 PC in the new year, so don't give me that schtick. I play games on both platforms.

Comment

I use it as an example of a rather nifty idea that is flogged to death to the point of being annoying.

The gravity gun is the perfect example -- it was over utilized in HL2 to the point that I didn't even finish the game because I got bored. I don't find it fun to stack crates with a gravity gun, sorry.

And all gimmicks are really fun til they get old. The point of the gimmick is they don't add real depth, they're nifty features that their designers rely on as a one-trick-pony to the expense of actual gameplay.
                  Funny, maybe you're just weird/blind/, because it was a lot more than "stacking blocks" that my friend was doing.

There are certain games the Wiimote would work well for, but it doesn't work well for all games. Or even most?

Which is why there's a regular controller too.

Halo 2 came out around the same time. You were talking a lot of smack then. Like you are now.

Comment

That still doesn't make sense.

Either way it's driving a Microsoft platform.
                    HL2 is hardly the killer app for Windows. Id say Word and Excel are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      Funny, maybe you're just weird/blind/, because it was a lot more than "stacking blocks" that my friend was doing.
                      Change "blocks" with "chairs" or "rocks" and you get about 95% of the "puzzles" in HL2.

That's the "innovation" in HL2. Find a nifty trick and then tie everything into it til it gets incredibly boring.

Which is why there's a regular controller too.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "regular controller" a glorified SNES controller that doesn't even ship with the Wii?

Halo 2 came out around the same time. You were talking a lot of smack then. Like you are now.
                      Half-Life 2 is an inferior game to Halo 2. That's why millions of people are still playing Halo 2 to this day and Half-Life 2 is all but forgotten.

It has nothing to do with their platforms or anything like that. The simple fact is, Half-Life 2 isn't a great a game as people make it out to be. They become enamored with a new gameplay element which was novel at first but quickly grew old.

Comment

The simple fact is, Half-Life 2 isn't a great a game as people make it out to be. They become enamored with a new gameplay element which was novel at first but quickly grew old.
                        That's funny, that's exactly how I feel about Halo 2. Except Halo 2 didn't even have a new gameplay element...
                        I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Wii Sports, for instance, fall under the gimmick category.
                          Which is more or less what it is meant to be - a tech demo for the new controller, which comes with your console to show off one of the main selling points - kind of like the NVidia graphics demos show off the main selling points of NVidia cards (the ability to render fancy graphics). This particular tech demo also happens to be fun to play with, which is a plus in my book.
                          XBox Live: VovanSim
                          xbox.com (login required)
                          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                          Spore page

Comment

Change "blocks" with "chairs" or "rocks" and you get about 95% of the "puzzles" in HL2.

That's the "innovation" in HL2. Find a nifty trick and then tie everything into it til it gets incredibly boring.
                            You know you can kill enemies with the gravity gun too. My roomate had it out half the time, grabbing stuff to chuck at enemies (including grenades!)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "regular controller" a glorified SNES controller that doesn't even ship with the Wii?

You're wrong. It's a standard double analog controller with 4 buttons on the right, shoulder buttons, a d-pad, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              You're wrong. It's a standard double analog controller with 4 buttons on the right, shoulder buttons, a d-pad, etc.
                              Though to be fair, it indeed does not come with the console.
                              XBox Live: VovanSim
                              xbox.com (login required)
                              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                              Spore page

Comment

I find it quite offensive that this wii pun thread has been hijacked by some proper discussion.

wii are not amused.

Comment

Working...
                                X