The Chiron Chronicle: Discussions (4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [LordLMP]
    Yes, but rather that the aliens land at Isle of Deneira and Mount Planet. Its away from the main territories of all factions and it is fair to all players... so no one as to deal with aliens in the homefront... well, atleast not when they crash land.
    Hmmm... but then the Believers will have to deal with them. We'll be having a watchful eye on the skies...

And the new poster - spotted him too - is welcome.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Yes, Mount Planet is connected to the continent where the Belivers reside. Yes, they may have to deal with them, but not in their Main territory thought. I was thinking to have the Caretakers land at Mt Planet, the most passive of the Aliens. Of course, the Believers would have to deal with another Planet lover on their continent,

So if factions colonize Mount Planet, those colonies would have to deal with the aliens.... said Nostradamus of Chiron.

-LMP

Comment

I was thinking to have the Caretakers land at Mt Planet
        I concurr! I concurr! *sigh of relief*
        That would be the Cult, Gaians and now Caretakers... I don't know what to say.

Btw, nice post Guardian. Where did you find the Declaration of Human Rights?
        Last edited by Kassiopeia; October 25, 2001, 16:05.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

UN web site... www.un.org

The place is a bit of a jungle and many of those documents in there are a bit of a pain to read, but there's lots of good stuff too!

Oh, and about that post, Apolyton sort of messed up the formatting a little, so I had to edit it a few times to get it to look right...

The original document can be found at www.un.org/Overview/rights.html
          (-So you can check for yourself and see that the thing I posted is the real thing )
          "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
          -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

UN web site... www.un.org
            Oh, how creative...

It's the real thing, and in Finnish too! Read and learn.

Native Name
            Suomi

Total Speakers
            6,000,000 (1995)

Usage by Country

Official Language: Finland

Officially Recognized Language: the Karelia, Sweden and Norway

Background

There are approximately 5 million speakers of Finnish, one of the few languages of Europe not belonging to the Indo-European family. Like Estonian, spoken across the Gulf of Finland, it is one of the Finno-Ugric languages, which constitute the main branch of the Uralic family.

The Finnish alphabet contains only twenty-one letters. There are thirteen consonants and eight vowels. There is only one sound for every letter, one letter for every sound, and the stress is always on the first syllable. The language makes no distinction as to gender, and has no articles, either definite or indefinite.

Despite these simplifying factors, Finnish is undoubtedly an exceedingly difficult language to learn. The number of case forms for nouns is staggering: while German has four cases, Latin five, and Russian six, Finnish has no fewer than fifteen! In addition to the familiar nominative, genitive, partitive, and ablative, there are also the elative, allative, illative, essive, inessive, adessive, abessive, and several others. (Instructive, comitative, to name a few more ).

In linguistics, Finnish is defined as a synthetic language meaning that it uses suffixes to express grammatical relations and also to derive new words. In contemporary spoken Finnish, however, the tendency is to move from synthetic to analytic expression, where grammatical relations are expressed by word order, prepositions and other auxiliary words rather than flexion.

Comment

Originally posted by [LordLMP]
              Yes, you get a pat on the back or if you like, a Planetbuster loaded cake
              Planetbuster loaded cake? Well, I knew that the colonists of Chiron had come up with many innovative uses for nuclear power, but . . .

Seriously though, when are we going to have the Aliens land? And if the Planetary council is still tied (which it is, right?) does Morgan stay governor or is there a second round of voting?

Also, kudos to Guardian for getting us the UN charter.

Comment

I'd be glad to write for the Usurpers when they land. I'm a fan of Judaa Marr, and I think that all opportunities to be ruthless should be taken. Also, I must apologize for not being around much. My final exams begin in exactly three days.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I knew if I kept pushing, Guaradian would eventually seek out the charter. Now Solo has something to pick apart.

Kudos to Guardian for braving the twisted UN Website.
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                    I'd be glad to write for the Usurpers when they land. I'm a fan of Judaa Marr, and I think that all opportunities to be ruthless should be taken. Also, I must apologize for not being around much. My final exams begin in exactly three days.
                    Sparta may be interested in some form of alliance with the Usurpers. Depending on the sitution of their landing.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Also, kudos to Guardian for getting us the UN charter.
                      Actually, you've only seen a small part of the Charter yet...

-but it is a start!

I knew if I kept pushing, Guaradian would eventually seek out the charter. Now Solo has something to pick apart.
                      Pick apart the human rights??
                      Well, sure, go right ahead and try it...

Of course, this will dramatically increase tensions between Spartans and Peacekeepers, Isabella will do her best to pick Solo apart and Lal probably won't even consider whatever Santiago might have to say, but if that is what you want, then fine, be my guest...

I'm sure General Braddock won't mind, and neither will Svensgaard & Co...
                      Last edited by Guardian; October 26, 2001, 07:20.
                      "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
                      -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

The original UN Charter from 1945 is available from the UN web site, but this is basically just a description of what kind of organization the UN is supposed to be and how it's supposed to work. Today, when we talk about the "UN Charter", we tend to also think about lots of stuff that wasn't in the original charter, such as the Declaration of Human Rights, the Statute of the International Court of Justice, various international laws and treaties, plus the myriad of resolutions that have been adopted concerning the privileges and immunities of the UN, etc, etc, etc. I imagine by 2200, many of these would actually be adopted into the Charter, so the "UN Charter" in the game would be a lot more than the stuff they signed in 1945. However, if you want to have a look at the original Charter, you can find it right here:

http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/index.html

Oh, and by the way... DarkCloud was right: the Charter does include rules for voting...
                        -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

General note on UN resolutions:

UN resolutions generally consist of two clearly defined parts: a preamble and an operative part. The preamble generally states the background, the reasoning behind the resolution and the underlying considerations. The operative part states the opinion of the UN organ or the action to be taken.

-Just in case somebody wondered...
                          -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Originally posted by Natan

And if the Planetary council is still tied (which it is, right?) does Morgan stay governor or is there a second round of voting?
                            Umm? Planetary Council tied? I thought Roze had won hands down myself....
                            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic

Umm? Planetary Council tied? I thought Roze had won hands down myself....
                              Santiago
                              Sparta--------8
                              Hive----------7
                              Believers------7
                              University-----6
                              Morgans------6
                              Total---34

Roze
                              Data Angels--7
                              Drones-------6
                              Gaians-------8
                              Cyborgs------5
                              Pirates------8
                              Total----34

UN--------10(absain)
                              Cult-------3(abstain)

Sparta would never accept a cult revote. So after much struggle and so much time spent going behind allies backs to make deals, we will probably end up with Morgan as Governor again. Which won't be too bad for the Spartans.
                              Last edited by Sprayber; October 26, 2001, 09:36.

Comment

Civil War?

Guardian, if there is rules in the charter about voting... what are they? Can the Cult and possibly the Peacekeepers change their vote? especially before the voting is officially over.

-LMP

Comment

Working...
                                X