The Chiron Chronicle: Discussions (4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [LordLMP]

Does anyone know how many troops in a typical infantry Battalion in this world? I guess 100 to 500. I can see the Russians having a bigger Battalion unit then the United States :P
    Well, I don't know how typical it is, but in the Norwegian army, a squad has 8 men, a platoon has about 4 squads, a company has about 4 platoons and a battallion has about 4 companies...

So, if all units are exactly at standard size, they'll look something like this...

Platoon: 4 squads of 8 men each = 32 men (+ a couple of sergeants & an officer - usually a lieutenant)
    Company: 4 platoons of 32 men each = 128 men (the company commander is usually a captain)
    Battallion: 4 companies of 128 = 512 men (usually commanded by a major)
    "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
    -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Originally posted by Argonaut
      We never said we wouldn't oppose an atrocity. We're just not coming running with guns the next time Braddock shoots his mouth off and some army comes looking for him
      Okay, that is a little different...

You might wish to explain this to the Peacekeepers though...

The impression they got is basically that Roze is going to sit back and let zillions die because she had a disagreement with Lal and that she's willing to sacrifice thousands of civilians to achieve her personal goals...
      "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
      -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Just to say, the Nautilus Pirates controls some Mines in the landmass west of Mount Planet, connected by a chokepoint. The story of that is simple, the nearby Pirate bases wnated to explore Mount Planet and so n started from the west. So they sent exploration teams, and during their exploration, they found some Unity Pods. One of them as been activated somehow as mining robots have started some mines. The exploration teams used some building resources from some other unity pods and started a mining operation, with the help of a former unit from Nessus Base. So the explorers started up a mining company and started selling their minerals via their sponsoring base. Svensgaard eventually discovered of the operation when he noticed a increase in mineral production at the bases there. Didn't give heck to anyone, just advise the people of the Company that they should of told the Government, so they could guerantee their safety. SO they establish a small Defence outpost along the Mining Outpost. So far, no factions have noticed. So one reason why Svensgaard would be against having SPartans at Mount Planet
        Don't worry, the Consciousness isn't gonna give you away
        "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

The Mt. Planet area mishap was a total mess - on my behalf.
          The Believers will however protest it... I'm sure Deacon can slam up something about regional threat and the like. Aki can try to colonize it, but it'll be a mess.
          EDIT: But the Believers don't know of it yet, IIRC. They do have some patrols looking down there time to time to check on the area, so mayeb they could notice the colony pods landing and starting to build up etc.?
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Ain't the Colony Pods landing at the small landmass connected to Mt Planet west of it? If so, a pretty long detour for the Believer scouts maybe the Believers got into the habbit odf strengthing troops and their faith by occasionally sending them to Mount Planet and back :P pretty long hike, especially up the mountain :P

Anyway, the Cyborgs may discover the Pirates, but they sure would wonder and why they didn't mention their assets there to the Chiron Alliance :P

As for the Spartans, they have a long way to go to get to Mount Planet by ship unless they are able to convince the Believers to allow some colony pods through their territory, which is still a long way. Colony Pods suppose to carry, what, 1000 to 10000 people? as for establising a supply route, it would be quite distant and via possibly hostile territory :P so the colonists would be almost colonize anew like back in the old days

-LMP

Comment

As for the Spartans, they have a long way to go to get to Mount Planet by ship unless they are able to convince the Believers to allow some colony pods through their territory, which is still a long way. Colony Pods suppose to carry, what, 1000 to 10000 people? as for establising a supply route, it would be quite distant and via possibly hostile territory :P so the colonists would be almost colonize anew like back in the old days

-LMP
              That is one of the things the Spartans are best at. Anyway, who says the Spartans need to have a full base with civilaians to get in the way. The Spartans advised the Believers to set up in the area, but prepared for the possiblility that they wouldn't be able to right away.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

...Nothing against an attempted colonization of Mount Planet.
                The aliens can land on top of the Gaians

---
                LMP-They are not all russians: Here are some names I have used:

-The Leader (HFO Don Darden) (MORGANITE)
                -'Kommandant' Reya Hollis-Keyson (UNIVERSITY)
                -'Kommandant' Julius Juliard-Johnson (MORGANITE)
                -'Kommandant' Victor x (MORGANITE)
                -'Kommandant' Celeste Delilah Anderson-Xanderson (born 2125) (UNIVERSITY)
                -Isotope (UNIVERSITY)
                -Sir Cloud (UNIVERSITY)
                -Sir Pong (UNIVERSITY)
                -Sir Tech (UNIVERSITY)
                -Thunderbird (MORGANITE)
                -Giant Roc (MORGANITE)
                -Basil Isk (MORGANITE)
                -The Commodore (MORGANITE)

Foreign Ambassador Ian Davidson-Splertovsky
                Head/High Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Daniel Jakhobs-Howell

University Base City Manager Gregory George Gnu-Ghanst (born 2121)
                Chief of Security William Louis-Durnham (born 2130)
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian

Platoon: 4 squads of 8 men each = 32 men (+ a couple of sergeants & an officer - usually a lieutenant)
                  Company: 4 platoons of 32 men each = 128 men (the company commander is usually a captain)
                  Battallion: 4 companies of 128 = 512 men (usually commanded by a major)
                  Of course, you could have platoons with only 2 or 3 squads, companies with 2 or 3 platoons and a battallion with 3 companies. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that 100 - 500 guys sounds about right. (Although 100 is a pretty small battallion...)

Anyway, I was thinking about the rover units...

How about using the same model here, just saying that a squad is the people associated with one specific rover? Thus, a platoon would have about 4 rovers, and what we call a unit in the game would be a company of say 12 - 16 rovers. Combine 3 or 4 of these and you'll have a battallion. Thus, a battallion could be anything from about 36 to about 64 rovers. Does this make sense?
                  -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

Yes it does... but me personally rather call them Squadron of Rovers :P but oh well, depends on ones taste

So using those numbers, there is actually two Battle Dragon Batallions at the Ahen Outpost as there is 6 units... so if you include the Gatling Marines there, which is a Infantry Batallion, then there is a Regiment worth of troops there

Anyway, those numbers may vary faction by faction... but shouldn't be way off from the Average.

-LMP

Comment

Everyone: Is there room for another poster? There is one over in the AC/general/Help wanting to know and I haven't seen him over here yet. I know Smac is doing double duty and I haven't seen our Drone operator in a while. I told him to come over and check us out.

Do I get something for recruitment.
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Not the Governership, if that's what your thinking
                        -Argo

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."

Comment

No, nothing

However, yes, we could use another poster...

I PMed Bearcat and he didnt respond- and I believe LMP received an email from him- so I suppose the Free Drones and Cyborgs/OR Gaians (depending on SMAC Fanatic's choice) are free.
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Argonaut
                            Not the Governership, if that's what your thinking
                            well darn. i had to try.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by DarkCloud
                              ...Nothing against an attempted colonization of Mount Planet.
                              The aliens can land on top of the Gaians

Yes, but rather that the aliens land at Isle of Deneira and Mount Planet. Its away from the main territories of all factions and it is fair to all players... so no one as to deal with aliens in the homefront... well, atleast not when they crash land.

-LMP

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                                Everyone: Is there room for another poster? There is one over in the AC/general/Help wanting to know and I haven't seen him over here yet. I know Smac is doing double duty and I haven't seen our Drone operator in a while. I told him to come over and check us out.

Do I get something for recruitment.

Yes, you get a pat on the back or if you like, a Planetbuster loaded cake

Bearcat won't be coming back, was able to reach him via ICQ.

-LMP

Comment

Working...
                                X