This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing WePlayCiv!

As you all know, Solver and I are leaving as Apolyton administrators, and Dale recently was forced to leave our staff as well. That's not the last you've heard of us though, as we have a big announcement to make:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Contact: Wouter Snijders, WePlayCiv administrator, info@weplayciv.com

Three long-time veterans of the Sid Meier's Civilization online community are launching a new website that will be driven by fan involvement and dedicated entirely to serving the fans' needs.

Hengelo, The Netherlands - April 30, 2009 - Dale "Dale" Kent, Wouter "Locutus" Snijders and Daniels "Solver" Umanovskis have announced that after many years of working for Apolyton Civilization Site, they are forming a new fan site dedicated to the Sid Meier's Civilization series and other games of the genre. This new venture, WePlayCiv (http://www.weplayciv.com), will focus on facilitating community involvement in playing and improving the Civilization series of games. The site will provide many features tailored towards mods, user-generated content, information sharing, competitive and cooperative play and other community activities.

WePlayCiv will be a place where everyone who has an active interest in Civilization games can feel at home; it will host a community where members can find friends to play or mod with, where they can learn from each other and share ideas and content with one another. WePlayCiv will provide full coverage of the Sid Meier's Civilization series: news, reviews, downloads, forums, information, galleries, strategies, modding, tournaments, strategy courses, podcasts and more. The site will also cover Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Activision's Call to Power series, as well as "indie" strategy games.

WePlayCiv is based on the belief that the key to a lively community lies in a lively site, so it will aim to offer fresh Civilization-related content every single day. This content will come from a combination of different sources: in-house development, community, content partners and syndicated content from other Civilization-related resources and communities on the Internet.

Special emphasis for WePlayCiv will be placed on fostering and hosting user-generated content, in particular mods. To counter the scattering of the hosting of Civilization mods, artwork, modding tools and other modding resources over many different places on the Web, WePlayCiv will offer free, unlimited, on-site hosting space and profiles to any modders and modding groups to host their Civilization-related projects, without adding roadblocks for users who want to download these files.

WePlayCiv co-founder Wouter Snijders said: "We strongly believe in cooperation and camaraderie between all who love Civilization and will actively work to create and maintain bonds of friendship between any individuals, groups and organizations who share our passion for the game. We will strive to bring together as many different fans, players, developers, publishers, advertisers, teachers, reporters and others from all over the world in as many different ways as possible. We extend an open invitation to anyone with a love for Civilization to join our new community today."

About Dale "Dale" Kent
    Australian Dale Kent has been building and maintaining websites since 1993, ranging from corporate websites and e-commerce platforms to NationStates region's sites. He was a staff member of Apolyton CS from 2007-2009 as news and content editor, moderator and programmer. Kent has had ties with game development studios since 2005, having been play-tester/developer for Firaxis on Civilization IV and expansions as well as Civilization IV: Colonization, and playtester on FireFly Studio's CivCity: Rome and Breakaway's Arabian Lords. He is the creator of the Apolyton Pack (CtP2), The Road to War (Civ4) and Age of Discovery II (C4C) mods, has been a programmer on many indie games projects from GameDev.net, Apolyton and others, and currently works as a games producer for a large Australian entertainment company.

About Wouter "Locutus" Snijders
    Wouter Snijders from the Netherlands has had experience with running web communities dating back to 2001 when he joined Apolyton's staff, serving as news and content editor, database and community manager and podcast host, and becoming an administrator and co-owner of the site in 2006. Snijders's ties with game studios go back to 2000, having worked on Activision's Call to Power II as playtester, script coder and liaison for the release of the game's source code; he was also an inaugural member of the Firaxis playtest group for Civilization IV and expansions, functioning as playtester, scenario designer and researcher, and worked as playtester on CivCity: Rome. Snijders was lead programmer for the Medieval Mod series (C:CtP/CtP2), project lead on the CtP2 Source Code Project and created the Python API reference (Civ4).

About Daniels "Solver" Umanovskis
    Living in Latvia, Daniels Umanovskis has been a community manager, tournament/ladder organiser and content editor on Apolyton since 2001, becoming an administrator for the site in 2007. He was also the webmaster of AoE2.com for two years and has written reviews, previews and interviews for a number of gaming sites such as Apolyton, AoE2.com, GamePlasma and Gamez.lv. Umanovskis has had ties with the game industry since 2002, as a playtester for Ensemble Studios on Age of Mythology as well as later for Firaxis on Civilization IV and expansions and Civilization IV: Colonization. He is the creator of the Unofficial Patches (v3.03 and v3.17) for Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and is currently a programmer for the indie strategy game Candle'Bre.

###
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Well, all you folks have done here, its bound to pay dividends with at your/mine/our new home

Congrats!

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Nice work! I'll catch you on the other side!
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Splitters.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
          Splitters.

That could be construed so many ways OzzpKP
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

This is certainly interesting. I'll keep an eye on this. I hope you guys don't disappear from Apolyton, though.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Splitters

"lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Technically speaking, isn't advertising another site against the rules?
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Technically speaking, the rules in the past have always allowed a "single" thread to promote another non commercial gaming site... Unless the new Owners have changed the rules...

Good luck Guys... Keep on Civin'
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Good luck with that.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The more CIV sites the better - I'll visit WPC as part of my regular CIV surfs.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Excellent!
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Interesting. Registered a few hours ago. You won't make me leave poly though...
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

So now I see what this was all about.

Oh well, guys good luck.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes! This is precisely what I would have done. Take a market already saturated with two sites and add a third! And do it in a lull where there's no new Civ games on the horizon!

Edit: Censored on demand by our new overlords

Your logo is absolutely awful, as is the page layout. Is there any content at all?

WTF are you thinking launching this and announcing it before it's ready? First impressions mean everything.

You haven't even customized the document title! It's "vbDrupal"...
                              Last edited by Asher; May 1, 2009, 20:20.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X