Fantasy Hockey 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post

Add it up and you get to the point where the game will start when the players accept 50-50, and not a moment sooner. Based on what I know, the owners won't back down.
    I agree. Players have a decent beef but if they want to play, i think they need to accept this. the union though doesn't want to just capitulate ... so they are chest thumping etc .....

In one way the owners are in a good spot since everyone appears to be convinced of their resolve....
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh and if there is hockey i will not play fantasy here. my three keeper leagues have already started and been pretty active . i did between one and seven trades with each team and really enjoyed the very active nature of the leagues
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

You could just admit you are worried I'll keep steamrolling you.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
          You could just admit you are worried I'll keep steamrolling you.
          i would if there was any truth to the assertion. have you been in a really good fantasy league with banter and lots of trades?

Comment

I don't need to trade when my teams are perfect.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Frankly NHL needs to get on ESPN regularly. Take less money from them, pay them to show NHL games in decent timeslots, whatever. That's the key to growing revenue, not being on VERSUS or whatever.
              This strike will kill off the sport south of the border, which will exacerbate the difficulties for struggling teams south of the border as well. 49 seems reasonable to me, and better then striking and losing a year, shrinking the overall hockey audience.

49 percent of bigger pie > 57 percent of smaller pie. Do the players not understand this?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki View Post
                I agree the 57% figure seems high, and it may well be. But again, this is what the owners wanted the last time around and as Flubber points out, they've been bidding up salaries right to the last second before the lockout. Also, the NHL doesn't have nearly the TV contracts the other major leagues do, so I think this skews the numbers somewhat.

Don't get me wrong - I dont' think the players are hurting at all or deserve more money. I just can't stand the hypocrisy of the owners when they got what they wanted last time ostensibly in large part to help smaller market teams and now they say that the model they are almost entirely responsible for building is a bad deal.

I don't think the owners got everything they wanted, and I do think that the circumstances of settling last time influenced the deal not being as owner friendly as has been said.

Recall that prior to the resumption of play, there was considerable uncertainty about how well the fans would respond. This likely led to the owners accepting the 57% top end to end the dispute. The union capitulated on the cap. The owners likely settled for a higher percentage going to the players in return.

There are other factors beyond reasonable prediction, like the Canadian dollar going from ~$0.85 to par, and staying there. Many owners likely did not forsee the growth in revenues that led to the players quickly getting to the 57% upper bound.

Now the owners know what the response of fans was, and booming hockey markets in some US cities and the Canadian ones have driven the floor above the original cap. The smaller US markets thus lose more money under the current deal. Count those owners as backing the 50% or forget it position.

Then there are the savvier, non die-hard hockey fan owners. They realise that cutting 12% or more from payroll (largest expense) over five or seven years yields more than is gained by many profitable franchises in a whole year.

Finally, there are franchise values. Better labour conditions for the owners boosts the value of all franchises since a business is worth a multiple of what it can expect to earn.

Everything points to the owners pushing as hard and as far as they can, within reason. Too many people feel 50-50 is 'fair' for the owners to lose if they do not get unreasonable.

Given all that, it is still a spat between millionaires and billionaires and I can see how a lot of people find it distasteful.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Anyhoo, when do we want to start drafting?

The players could settle quickly.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Asher, does Leanne want to return?

Kontiki, does Andrew wish to return? I think you still need to join. I think we should time the beginning of the draft for around the time you return. When is that?

Sparrowhawk, are you coming back?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Rules is Rules

The forum draft works well for us.

For those unfamiliar, and for those who forget...

Offline draft (we post it here in the forum, last year ran from Sept 11 to 20)
                      Link to 2011-12: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...y-League-11-12
                      2010-11: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...0-11-Preseason
                      2009-10: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...9-10-Preseason

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
                      Max Moves: No maximum
                      Max Trades: No maximum
                      Trade Reject Time: 1
                      Trade End Date: Sometime during the season, latest date by Yahoo
                      Waiver Time: 2 days
                      Can't Cut List Provider: None
                      Trade Review: Commissioner *
                      Post Draft Players: Free Agents
                      Max Acquisitions per Week: 5
                      Min Games Played: 3
                      Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
                      Start Scoring on: Week 1
                      Divisions: No
                      Playoffs: Last three game weeks
                      Roster Positions: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR
                      Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Powerplay Goals (PPG), Powerplay Assists (PPA)
                      Goaltenders Stat Categories: Wins (W), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

* Commissioner trade review subject to the Flubber Rule: the commissioner can be over ruled by a majority of managers voting to do so.

Rules for the BAPAY.

A. The draft timer is turned off from 10PM to 8AM Eastern time. Night owls should feel free to continue with picks during this period, but no one will be penalised for sleeping.

1. 12 hours for the first 3 rounds
                      2. 6 hours thereafter
                      3. If a person has been BAPAYed the previous round and has not been in contact since, they are BAPAYed immediatedly upon their turn arising until they are sighted again
                      4. BAPAY to be done as a intelligent BAPAY-- use the list strictly except for the obvious PIM anomolies. best player is picked to fill any available starters roles first. If all starters are picked its just BAPAY all the way.
                      4a. Intelligent extends beyond what is strictly on the list. Common sense and the rule of the reasonable should be used. Ex: towards the end of the draft there are likely to be a lot of goalies, rookies, and defencemen in relatively high positions who have not been drafted; a player should not be loaded up with goalies and rookies on his bench.
                      4b. Players unavailable should not be drafted as BAPAYs. Ex: Jagr, Radulov, Emery from years past.
                      5. Any manager can BAPAY by posting the pick and starting the clock for the next player.
                      6. Any manager who has been BAPAYed may change the BAPAY chosen player for another available, undrafted player during the period up to and including the time the draft returns to that manager for his/her two following draft choices. Ex: you may change your 6th (and 7th)(BAPAYed) draft choice any time prior to or when you make your 8th draft choice. [changed from immediately following draft pick to allow for people at either end of the snake to change a double BAPAY.]

Managers in 2010-11
                      mrboo123
                      Guynemer
                      joncha
                      Kontiki
                      Cavalcadeus
                      Asher
                      woollyleanne
                      Sparrowhawk
                      More Cowbell
                      notyoueither

Past
                      Flubber
                      Imran
                      snoopy369
                      CrONoS
                      KrazyHorse
                      Tingkai
                      Ninot
                      Ben Kenobi
                      Pekka
                      Hot Mustard
                      Jonny
                      cinch
                      Jaguar
                      Sava
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        This strike will kill off the sport south of the border, which will exacerbate the difficulties for struggling teams south of the border as well. 49 seems reasonable to me, and better then striking and losing a year, shrinking the overall hockey audience.

49 percent of bigger pie > 57 percent of smaller pie. Do the players not understand this?
                        43% of bigger pie > 51% of smaller pie. Do the owners not understand this?
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If you need another, I might be convinced to join - I can comanage with a friend who's Canadian, thus giving me some chance (and helping me be more active).
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                            If you need another, I might be convinced to join - I can comanage with a friend who's Canadian, thus giving me some chance (and helping me be more active).

Cool. We can go up to twleve.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

I'll check with Andrew, but given that he basically abandoned his team last year right after the draft, my gut tells me he may not be interested.

I'll be away from Sept. 29 to late Oct. 7. If we can hold off until I get back, great. If not, I may be able to jump in enough to hold up my end.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Leanne is in:
                                If it ever happens. I will be out of town sans laptop (trying to see if I can get by without phone) the first week of October, besides that I'm available for any draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X