Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLATO
    replied
    The Titans picked Peyton up at the Raleigh airport in the private jet and brought him to Nashville where he spent the day yesterday. The team Doctor was called in and stayed at the facility about 90 minutes. Peyton and the Titans coaches did not leave the facility until after 10PM last night. The coaches and Peyton were reported to be all smiles as they left and Peyton even giving a thumbs up to a fan who asked if he was coming to the Titans.

Time will only tell, but it looks like Bud is putting his money where his mouth was. Wonder how this played in Miami? Does anybody know how much cap room the Dolphins have?

Leave a comment:

• SlowwHand
    replied
    I have to say, if this is truly the case, I'm disappointed in Elway. I guess it will just be disappointed again. He pretty much showed what he was made of when he entered the draft. Then fighting Reeves every step of the way.

Marshall Faulk
    NFL Network
    Miami's move has Manning written all over it
    Let's understand this: On Monday, there was a meeting between Peyton Manning and the Miami Dolphins. Then, all of the sudden, Brandon Marshall is gone the next day, for whatever reason. Last week, we were talking about the one potential hang-up in a Manning-to-Miami scenario: The question of whether Marshall could learn the offense. This is not a knock on him as a player, but there are a lot of things done at the line of scrimmage in this offense, and we've watched young guys struggle with Peyton before.

This trade reeks of Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Manning heading to Miami. The Tennessee Titans may have something to say about that with owner Bud Adams stepping up, but Tuesday's move by the Dolphins has Manning written all over it.

Miami is a very trendy place -- look at what the Heat and Marlins did. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wants to make a splash. He did not make a splash with the head-coach hiring, but it's the players who put butts in the seats.

Jason La Canfora
    NFL Network
    Dolphins try addition by subtraction to land Manning?
    Could this move by the Dolphins relate to their pursuit of Peyton Manning? Absoutely. Miami might believe Marshall is a potential headache that Manning doesn't need.

Regardless, the Dolphins may not be able to get Manning anyway. He hasn't shown much overt joy at the prospects of playing for them, and this move might have been a last-ditch effort to get his attention. Even if Miami adds Manning buddy Reggie Wayne in free agency, I'm still not convinced they get him.

One important item to note: The Dolphins won't really take a cap hit for this move due to the way Marshall's contract was structured.

Charley Casserly
    NFL Network
    Trade is a win for both Dolphins, Bears
    I like this trade. Ultimately, this could be a win for both teams.

In Chicago, Cutler gets a receiver he knows. Both he and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates are familiar with Marshall from their days in Denver together. You have to believe both endorsed the move.

For Miami, this clears the way if they get Manning to bring in Reggie Wayne and maybe even Dallas Clark. Wayne gives you the possession receiver to replace Marshall and Clark would give Manning a comfortable security blanket.

Even if Miami doesn't land Manning, it has rid itself of a big contract and a troublesome player, while picking up two valuable draft choices in the process.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; March 14, 2012, 02:00.

Leave a comment:

• Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    Someone in the organization must be pro-Tebow. Especially since they traded up to draft him.
    Josh McDaniels.

Tebow is getting the shaft, though. Elway said explicitly that Tebow earned the right to begin the next season as the starter. We're barely two months removed from Tebow shredding the #1 Pittsburgh defense in the playoffs to the tune of 316 yards and he's already losing what he supposedly earned.

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I think it helps Miami in that it frees room for them to bring in Reggie Wayne or someone that Peyton might prefer to work with. Peyton has never actually had to deal with any diva WR's in his career since Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, etc. have all been quiet guys. I can see the logic there but I still think Peyton would want definite weapons.

And yeah from what I'm reading, Denver is making more sense than the other teams. The problem with Miami and Arizona is they'll probably only make the playoffs as a wildcard. By playing in the AFC West, Peyton would have his best chance at making the playoffs. Who knows how important that is to him but at this point in his career, I'm sure he values playoff opportunities more than anything else.

Denver fans will be frustrated if they send Tebow packing, though. Their minds will want Peyton but their hearts will want Tebow.
    Well, you can toss out the Reggie Wayne theories. He has signed with THE COLTS! WRs are disappearing FAST. Someone is going to make Mario Manningham, Robert Meacham and Laurent Robinson wealthy young men.

Oh, and Cortland Finnegan is reunited with Jeff Fisher in St. Louis.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyKP
    replied
    Someone in the organization must be pro-Tebow. Especially since they traded up to draft him.

Leave a comment:

• Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    With all the frenzy around Tebow it seems shocking that they are pursuing Manning so hard.
    Elway is a Tebow hater.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyKP
    replied
    With all the frenzy around Tebow it seems shocking that they are pursuing Manning so hard.

Leave a comment:

• Ming
    replied
    The ONLY way the fans would accept dumping Tebow is with somebody like Payton.

Leave a comment:

• Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    Kind of interesting -- about half the analysts are saying the trade of Brandon Marshall actually helps Miami in pursuit of Peyton Manning. But some are saying they are going all-in for Matt Flynn. The latter makes more sense to me.

I'm predicting Manning goes to Denver, with Tebow being traded to Jacksonville (whose owner rightly lusts for the attendance boost Tebow would bring).
    I think it helps Miami in that it frees room for them to bring in Reggie Wayne or someone that Peyton might prefer to work with. Peyton has never actually had to deal with any diva WR's in his career since Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, etc. have all been quiet guys. I can see the logic there but I still think Peyton would want definite weapons.

And yeah from what I'm reading, Denver is making more sense than the other teams. The problem with Miami and Arizona is they'll probably only make the playoffs as a wildcard. By playing in the AFC West, Peyton would have his best chance at making the playoffs. Who knows how important that is to him but at this point in his career, I'm sure he values playoff opportunities more than anything else.

Denver fans will be frustrated if they send Tebow packing, though. Their minds will want Peyton but their hearts will want Tebow.

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    Kind of interesting -- about half the analysts are saying the trade of Brandon Marshall actually helps Miami in pursuit of Peyton Manning. But some are saying they are going all-in for Matt Flynn. The latter makes more sense to me.

I'm predicting Manning goes to Denver, with Tebow being traded to Jacksonville (whose owner rightly lusts for the attendance boost Tebow would bring).

Leave a comment:

• PLATO
    replied
    How to alienate Jake Locker, Bud Adams style:

“He is the man I want. Period,” Adams said by phone from Houston. “And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.”
    Really, Bud?

The GM and coaches have both said that they were happy with their QB situation with Locker and Hasselback under contract.

Leave a comment:

• Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    Actually, I'd like to see Denver sign him. Can you imagine Tebow, mentored by both Manning and Elway? That's some combination.
    What would be interesting is the completely different free agency route the Broncos will take if they get Peyton or not. With Peyton, they'd probably pursue passing weapons (Reggie Wayne? Dallas Clark? Maybe even Colorado-born, Northern Colorado product, Vincent Jackson)... with Tebow, they'd look to improve that running game and defense. I'm sure the Broncos hope they'll have an answer before FA kicks off. The direction the team will take will be much different depending on their QB.

Leave a comment:

• SlowwHand
    replied
    Actually, I'd like to see Denver sign him. Can you imagine Tebow, mentored by both Manning and Elway? That's some combination.

Leave a comment:

• -Jrabbit
    replied
    After mid-season, that team was a train wreck. The defense totally fell apart, which spelled doom for any chance the offense had of running Rahim's classically conservative scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
    I don't doubt Freeman will be the starter at all. I'm just saying, he bears some of the responsibility for his season, not just his WRs and ****ty defense.
    A struggling ground game as well. Blount was not consistent this year. He did improve as a pass-catcher though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X