No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm guessing that the civil suits are coming. PSU will lose plenty of money there. Giving the football program the death penalty though just seems to punish the wrong people.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
      BUT, I wouldn't mind the program getting nailed to the wall.
      Phrasing...

Sandusky is in prison for life, Joe is dead, and the image of the program and the school is down the tubes. Already quite a deep price.

QFT

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
        If you break the law and are caught/exposed, the fact that your friends, neighbors, and employer may shun you does NOT mean the other authorities in your life should back off.
        The NCAA is not the authority here. The criminal justice system is, and it's sure as hell not "backing off" from the Sandusky affair.

Admittedly, there's no way to mete out true justice here.
        Of course there is. The courts are working on it as we speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
          The NCAA is not the authority here. The criminal justice system is, and it's sure as hell not "backing off" from the Sandusky affair.
          I acknowledge your POV as legit. But I believe there is ample evidence showing the university had no control over Paterno and thus, the program. Sandusky is just the firestorm that shone a harsh light on it. And it was obviously the case for many years. (I don't doubt there are similar situations on any number of insular, traditional campuses.) I think the NCAA is required to address this.

Obviously, civil courts and the criminal justice system have their roles as well.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I acknowledge your POV as legit. But I believe there is ample evidence showing the university had no control over Paterno and thus, the program. Sandusky is just the firestorm that shone a harsh light on it.

Sandusky's crimes are so far the only misdeeds that are alleged to have been enabled by Penn State's supposed lack of institutional control. If we find out some PSU players stole some shoes or something, feel free to call in the NCAA. Until then, however, they should stay the **** out of it and let real authorities handle this.

Comment

• let real authorities handle this.
              Like I said, I see your point. But it's not either/or. The NCAA isn't keeping the legal authorities from doing their job.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• The point is that...

1. It's not the NCAA's job to deal with child rape.

2. It's stupid to punish people who had nothing to do with said child rape, which is all the NCAA can do.

3. NCAA involvement is completely unnecessary because the legal authorities are already on the case.

The NCAA simply has no good reason to involve itself unless a violation of NCAA rules and regulations is uncovered.

Comment

• 1. The NCAA does have an obligation, and a personal interest, in adhering to laws. The same as federal and state authorities have the same "person of interest", but on separate charges all their own.
                  2. If the NCAA wants to discipline people that represent them, I've no problem with it.
                  3. Redundant, and addressed.

Your closing statement is erroneous.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• When it comes to the NCAA, It is no longer about just PSU, it's football program and those involved. It's about preventitive measures (or it should be).
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Yeah, but consider, I find it hard to believe that if the NCAA doesn't squash Penn State, that the message that other schools will take away from this is that it's OK to protect pedophiles because the NCAA won't punish you.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        1. The NCAA does have an obligation, and a personal interest, in adhering to laws. The same as federal and state authorities have the same "person of interest", but on separate charges all their own.
                        so let the NCAA cooperate with Local, State and Federal Law Enforcement. If the NCAA uncovers a crime, they should hand the evidence off to authorities.

Comment

Yeah, but consider, I find it hard to believe that if the NCAA doesn't squash Penn State, that the message that other schools will take away from this is that it's OK to protect pedophiles because the NCAA won't punish you.
                          Well, duh. But the more critical takeaway is, "It's OK to let the iconic coach run roughshod over school admin and be the law unto himself. Just be sure to CYA." And it would be naive to think there aren't programs out there with that issue.

Comment

• Of course there are. Probably more than we can count. Do you actually believe that punishing Penn State any further is going to change that at all?
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                              Phrasing...
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Of course there are. Probably more than we can count. Do you actually believe that punishing Penn State any further is going to change that at all?
                                For the programs that are already monsters, most likely they are all to far gone for it to change anything (and when they fall, one by one, it will be huge each time), but it is possible. For the programs aspiring to monsterhood, yes, I think it wil make a difference.
                                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X