No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save the intent of the NCAA in order to send message to the greater collegiate membership. Tough guy BS with no basis except if members similarly pull a bend over and take it approach.
    Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; July 24, 2012, 10:28.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Yeah, I loved how the University officials were falling all over themselves saying that no tax dollars would be spent to pay the fines. But it all comes from the same budget in the long run.

With the University a target for civil suits, I don't see the need to fine them money.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
        Yeah, I loved how the University officials were falling all over themselves saying that no tax dollars would be spent to pay the fines. But it all comes from the same budget in the long run.

With the University a target for civil suits, I don't see the need to fine them money.
        This.

Do what you want to the Athletic Department, shut it down... whatever. The fines, however, are a crock born by others.

I actually would have been more impressed if the NCAA had simply shut it all down. But that would run counter to their own financial interests.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• If the NCAA members -- who technically choose to belong -- bend over and take it, that's pretty a pretty ironclad granting of authority.

Fun fact2: In NCAA v. Jerry Tarkanian, U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA is not a governmental actor and thus is not obligated to provide due process.

Feel free to call it tough guy BS.
          Feel free to rail at the inhumanity of students not getting a trip to a bowl game in addition to their free education.
          Feel free to criticize the NCAA's process, which was much faster and less transparent than its usual investigations.

But jurisdiction by an association over its members? Please.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Merely a contract that can be severed at anytime and contested accordingly for breaches of contract.

Comment

• Apparently the full Board of Trustees was cut out of the loop on the consent: (more at the link)

One of the newest members of the Penn State University Board of Trustees reacted angrily to the sanctions imposed on the school’s football program Monday by the NCAA, not only for the “far reaching impact” it will have on the school and community, but also for the way the school’s administration handled the matter.

“I am outraged at the manner in which Penn State handled this,” said Anthony Lubrano, the Uwchlan businessman who was elected to the trustees this year and took office on July 1.

He said that the school president, Rodney Erickson, had signed a consent degree agreeing to the NCAA sanctions without “the knowledge of the full board,” Lubrano said. Instead, he consulted with the school’s attorneys and with the trustees’ chairwoman and vice chairman and members of the board’s executive committee.

“That troubles me,” Lubrano said in an interview with the Daily Local News. “The full board was not part of the process in making this decision. I am a firm proponent of openness and transparency, and as a trustee. I am disappointed we were not involved in these discussions.”

Asked how the decision could have been reached to enter the consent decree with the NCAA without consulting the board, Lubrano said he was told it was because of the “sensitivity of the information."

“But that’s a question you should put to the university,” he said.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• then they should be walking into this after the two year death penalty.
                Yep. Vacating JoPa's wins? FFS - that's not going to change anything. He's dead Jim. Who is that supposed to deter? It's a symbolic act without teeth. Now the death penalty - that's a real consequence.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• If the institution had stepped up and put a stop to it, we would have had a short conversation, years ago, about one evil guy who was rightly jailed for his transgressions, and the program would have continued with minimal penalties.

But that's not what happened.
                  One phone call is all it would have taken.

JoePa - Sandusky (back in 2001).

Please report to my office 8am sharp tomorrow morning.

JoePa - Sandusky. I want your ****ing key now. You're done here. Your **** here is pitched and if I ever catch you within 10 feet of Happy Valley it's your life at risk. I've taken the opportunity to call the local police to report your sick ****. No, don't try the door. The door is locked. You're stuck here with me till the cavalry arrives. I have a press conference at 10 where I'm going to release the original documentation of all your sick **** after I've released the copies to the police and they have everything they need.

Don't drop the soap *****.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• NCAA had no jurisdiction? Then all we need to do is sit and await the court rulings against them, right?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      NCAA had no jurisdiction? Then all we need to do is sit and await the court rulings against them, right?
                      Yep. That happens regardless of the NCAA and is appropriate as well, in both terms of civil and criminal penalty.

Don't think for a second the Freeh report won't be the basis for civil penalties the likes of which have not been seen for a university.

edit - Your post wasn't quite clear I assume the the antecedent for "them" in this case is PSU not the NCAA.

Comment

• Successful lawsuits against the NCAA. You and Penn State students and alumni are way too worried about the wrong things.
                        What are you going to say when the team members bolt for other schools, unrestricted? Also unfair? They made a commitment?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Should coaches reach out to recruit current Penn State players?

75%
                            Yes

25%
                            No

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              Successful lawsuits against the NCAA. You and Penn State students and alumni are way too worried about the wrong things.
                              What are you going to say when the team members bolt for other schools, unrestricted? Also unfair? They made a commitment?
                              Could care less what the football team does or does not do in the ongoing future.

What is exceedingly not right is that current students (who have no culpability) will either pay for this in terms of increased tuition, reduced quality of services, and likewise the PA taxpayers will be on the hook.

As for lawsuits against the NCAA, why would PSU now that they already blindly agreed to sock it to the students.

As far as I am concerned not only should the athletes be allowed to bolt but so should the general student body since they signed on for an education not a sanction fund.
                              Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; July 24, 2012, 15:31.

Comment

• How will current students pay, Ogie. You keep saying that and never elaborate. It's already been stipulated that money won't be appropriated in that manner.
                                You think the NCAA isn't going to be watching and waiting, in case such is attempted?

Comment

Working...
                                X