College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one care about your opinion.
    Hmmm, this is an internet forum where everyone expresses their OPINIONs.

The people whose opinions matter (university presidents and conference commissioners) aren't going to force Notre Dame into a conference.
    Sounds like an opinion to me.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I think he was speaking on opinions that actually will be weighed in decision making in a playoff.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Since he can't possibly know that for sure, I think it still counts as an opinion.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• In my opinion, this tangent is completely irrelevant.

Comment

• SB Nation and Spencer Hall join my long-standing crusade to introduce relegation to college football.

Relegation: Why College Football Needs To Embrace Cannibalism

Changes that increase the importance of the regular season...

Comment

• Changes that will never happen....
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I've been a fan of relegation in major league baseball (which is disinclined to level the spending field like the NFL and NBA), which has both spending and talent disparities, plus a stupidly long regular season. So yeah, I can see it being an effective tool in NCAA football. I've always liked the concept.

But I agree that it's pretty difficult to see it happening anytime soon.

[Full disclosure: I did not know the term "relegation" until just now. But I've always thought it was the coolest thing about the English league system.]
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• On April 28th.
                  Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                  There's still a lot to work out. This may get done, but it might not. SEC teams are hoping to play at "neutral" site games in the first round in Florida, or New Orleans. The Big Ten wants true home games, which might lead to a game being played outdoors in Ann Arbor in December. Who gets the advantage/disadvantage? Everyone is still looking out for themselves. I don't think that everyone would even agree to a one team per conference rule.
                  I thank all of you for proving my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    I've been a fan of relegation in major league baseball (which is disinclined to level the spending field like the NFL and NBA), which has both spending and talent disparities, plus a stupidly long regular season. So yeah, I can see it being an effective tool in NCAA football. I've always liked the concept.

But I agree that it's pretty difficult to see it happening anytime soon.

[Full disclosure: I did not know the term "relegation" until just now. But I've always thought it was the coolest thing about the English league system.]
                    MLB is the WORST league to introduce relegation. For one, just about all the minor league teams are owned by a major league one. Therefore the only way it'd work is if you'd have two leagues with 15 teams - which is ridiculously small in modern US sports.

But that college football relegation plan is like the best thing ever!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Relegation works in the EPL because they play a balanced schedule. I wouldn't call college football scheduling balanced.

Comment

• Read the article - what he's calling for is some minor conferences to be the "relagation partner" to the major conferences. The conferences have balanced schedules inside the conference structure

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          Read the article - what he's calling for is some minor conferences to be the "relagation partner" to the major conferences. The conferences have balanced schedules inside the conference structure
                          No, college football doesn't have balanced schedules, even within the conference. The Big Ten has 12 teams, but plays only 8 conference games. Illinois doesn't play Michigan State or Nebraska, two of the better teams from last year. Nebraska doesn't play either Illinois or Indiana, the two worst teams from last year.

EPL plays home and home every team plays each other twice. College Football isn't even close to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            MLB is the WORST league to introduce relegation.
                            I'm not saying it wouldn't require massive reorganization. The same is true for college football.
                            But let's not hijack the thread over a side point.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Well this is interesting:

The champions of the Big 12 and SEC conferences will meet in a New Year's Day bowl game annually beginning with the 2014 season, the conferences said Friday in a news release.

Big 12 vs. SEC champs starting in 2014, a la Pac-12 vs. Big 10 champs in the Rose Bowl. Big East has approached ACC to propose a similar championship matchup (I doubt the ACC will approve - though Boise has re-affirmed its committment to Big East). An opt out if the champ is selected for the new 4 team playoff they are discussing.

Comment

• Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                                No, college football doesn't have balanced schedules, even within the conference. The Big Ten has 12 teams, but plays only 8 conference games. Illinois doesn't play Michigan State or Nebraska, two of the better teams from last year. Nebraska doesn't play either Illinois or Indiana, the two worst teams from last year.

EPL plays home and home every team plays each other twice. College Football isn't even close to that.
                                Northwestern's 2015-16 schedule has been released. They miss out on playing Wisconsin, Ohio State and Penn State. Northwestern fans are already hoping for a trip to the Big Ten title game that year. So much for balanced conference schedules.

Comment

Working...
                                X