No announcement yet.

College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even though, I'm one of the guys that "**** all over Mike McQueary", I agree with Drake on the NCAA sanctions, stay out of it.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Can't agree. The head coach has been revealed as the self-serving douche we all suspected he was, and allowed a felon to repeatedly associate PSU football with child rape. It may not suit your definition of justice, especially for all the players and staff not a party to the Sandusky stuff, but JoePa should have thought of that when he insisted on keeping it "in the family" rather than properly separating himself and his program from the situation by putting the case in the hands of the proper authorities.

In essence, Paterno insisted on making PSU football the responsible party, and now a price must be paid.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Sandusky is in prison for life, Joe is dead, and the image of the program and the school is down the tubes. Already quite a deep price.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
          This isn't a rules or recruiting type issue, it's a Criminal issue which the civil authorities have prosecuted. I'm not sure what jurisdiction the NCAA has.
          Lack of institutional control, for one thing. See the NCAA letter to Penn State for details. Also, it's a recruiting issue in that Sandusky's crimes were covered up to protect the precious reputation of Paterno and Penn State football. If you're the parent of a football player, would you want to send your kid there if you knew Paterno had a pedophile on the staff for so many years?

Left out of the Freeh report: in Nov 2004 a portion the Board of Trustees proposed strengthening its power over Spanier and others, including Paterno, and Spanier and former chairman Cynthia Baldwin nixed it, so it never came to a full vote.

More accusations against Sandusky, dating to the 70s.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• If you're the parent of a football player, would you want to send your kid there if you knew Paterno had a pedophile on the staff for so many years?
            That's already the case whether the NCAA piles on or not. And I think lack of institutional control is there as a catch all when other issues can't be found/used for some reason to avoid any punishment at all. It's not like no punishment was already delivered. Their program will have problems for years to come. Maybe not as much as some want but it's not like they're escaping punishement.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I think Lord Avalon is right that one of the things the NCAA is saying is that the burial of this scandal helped recruting from 2001 until last year - if it would have come out, recruiting would have been less and PSU had more than a few good years and few good recruiting classes during that period (whether or not you buy that argument is a different story).
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Yeah, they should have acted over a decade ago.

Brown University, at least, is removing Paterno's name from things:
                Meanwhile, in Providence, R.I., Brown University removed Paterno's name from its head football coaching position and a student award and is reviewing whether to remove him from the Brown Athletic Hall of Fame.

The Ivy League university said it made the moves following a report that concluded the late coach was among those who concealed child-sex abuse by assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

Paterno graduated from Brown in 1950.

The school said Paterno's name has been permanently removed from an award for outstanding male freshman athlete. The award had been presented since 1991, and was presented this spring without Paterno's name attached to it.

His status in Brown's Hall of Fame is being reviewed by the hall's board. He was inducted in 1977.

Brown says the removal of his name from the head coaching chair was made due to issues that predated the Penn State matter.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• I don't disagree that the cover-up benefited their recruiting.
                  But their reputation is tarnished now. I don't see how further punishment is going to make it more tarnished.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• It's not like no punishment was already delivered. Their program will have problems for years to come. Maybe not as much as some want but it's not like they're escaping punishement.
                    So you're saying "the market has spoken" and calling it good?

The fact that PSU retained its recruiting edge, its reputation, and a reasonable degree of success for over a decade while several in power knew that on-site pedophilia was in fact happening is sufficient cause for direct punishment. How many parents were told of the honor and discipline of JoePa and PSU, how safe their kids would be on that campus, and took that scholarship over others on that basis? Dozens. Hundreds.

The fact that PSU is currently reeking of filth and paying a recruiting price is incidental (and deserved) fallout, but such de facto shunning based on the Sandusky case is not punishment per se.

Paterno was corrupt and the university was complicit.

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for all the student-athletes whose college careers will be stained by this. They should sue the university for fraud, especially if the NCAA opts for severe sanctions.
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• The fact that PSU is currently reeking of filth and paying a recruiting price is incidental (and deserved) fallout, but such de facto shunning based on the Sandusky case is not punishment per se.
                      You seem to be saying that they're paying a price, which to me is also punishment. But if you feel the need to pile on, I won't begrudge you that. I think a death sentence isn't necessary because I also feel sorry for all the innocent student-athletes. Why should they have to go through the effort of years of lawsuits which whatever the outcome will probably not adequately compensate them.

Except for the die-hard, public opinion has already administered an almost death sentence. If this wasn't the case I'd be right next to you screaming for one.

When people are screaming to tear down statues and removing the name from buildings, you know it's bad. The feeding frenzy is big time.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• If you break the law and are caught/exposed, the fact that your friends, neighbors, and employer may shun you does NOT mean the other authorities in your life should back off. "He's suffered enough" is hardly a justification.

There are hundreds - probably thousands - of college athletes who did nothing wrong, yet had their careers crushed by the malfeasance of the sports program they committed to. I see no reason why the current crop of PSU kids should escape. Sorry, but it's collateral damage. At least they get a free education.

On the flip side, you've got many thousands of athletes (and schools) who have broken NCAA rules and got away without punishment.

Admittedly, there's no way to mete out true justice here. But walking away from that responsibility because PSU's reputation is shot is just another form of enabling. Which, if you'll recall, is exactly what caused all this.

Comment

• To me it's like sueing the broke guy. Even if you win, it doesn't change anything so why go through the effort.
                          Actually this is worse because on top of nothing changing, you're taking innocent collateral damage. I guess I'm not that bloodthirsty. The rage you've worked yourself up to can't be healthy.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I have no rage.

But let's not forget that PSU raked in millions in bowl revenue, attendance dollars and alumni contributions while all this was happening and their sacred reputation remained intact.

Comment

• If it still was, I'd agree. It will take a long time to recover.
                              And how is current punishment going to change what already happened?
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• And how is current punishment going to change what already happened?
                                Never said it would. It never does.

But it would mediate some of the benefits PSU falsely reaped over the past decade or so, while sending a clear message to those still hiding their various malfeasances.

Comment

Working...
                                X