No announcement yet.

NHL Off-Season Thread 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharks re-sign Marleau and Pavelski. Marleau 4 yrs, $6.9 per year. Pavelski $4 mil per year.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Supposedly they'll be letting Nabokov go.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

As much as I like Plekanec, and however favorable it is to be paying him $5m a year, this means that our 2 first centers will be HALFLINGS for the next what, 5 years? ****.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Very interesting draft.

I count 3 Russians in the first round. That's a lot considering the recent struggles with the KHL over honouring contracts. Perhaps it's a sign of better relations.

A Swiss player was picked fifth. That's huge, and looks good for the development of the sport in parts of Europe not known as hockey hot-beds, although recent international results may be a better indication. The Swiss are getting good.

Most interestingly, there were two players from Southern California taken in the first round. What does this say about the move of the NHL into the sunbelt? It's ~40 years since the NHL moved into Los Angeles. The original owner thought it was a great idea because of all the Canadians living there. He was later quoted as saying he hadn't realised that the Canucks in LA moved there to get away from hockey.

As in other US markets, the key to hockey in LA has been investing in facilities and sponsoring minor leagues for kids.

Another first round selection is a high school football star (QB) from Minnesota. He is passing up a scholarship to Ohio State to pursue a career in pro hockey.

These are good signs for USA hockey.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It was the most boring draft day in years...how would you call it interesting in any way?

It was predictable with no real trades.

I suppose most of your interest seems to be the birthplaces of the players, I guess I just don't care.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I find the draft interesting with or without trades, and there were some interesting trades. The Canucks indulged in some short term gain for long term pain by trading the 25th along with good players for a defenceman. The Rangers set up a trade by drafting McIlrath at 10 (if my suspicion is correct).

It comes down to how interested in the young players one is. If you are not, then I can see it being boring. To each his own, but it iis certainly understandable that Flames fans might not be too interested in the draft. When was the last time Calgary drafted someone who scored at least 100 goals in the NHL?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Wow. Terrible trade. Grabner?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                  I find the draft interesting with or without trades, and there were some interesting trades. The Canucks indulged in some short term gain for long term pain by trading the 25th along with good players for a defenceman. The Rangers set up a trade by drafting McIlrath at 10 (if my suspicion is correct).

It comes down to how interested in the young players one is. If you are not, then I can see it being boring. To each his own, but it iis certainly understandable that Flames fans might not be too interested in the draft. When was the last time Calgary drafted someone who scored at least 100 goals in the NHL?

Though we got Jarrett Stoll in 2000, he has 93

The Flames have drafted very very poorly since 1993, it is very depressing.

But this year's draft WAS a yawner, not just because of the Flames. No big trades at all (despite your attempt to spin otherwise), no surprises in the top...yawn. I am interested in young players, but when the young players go, more or less, in orders everyone predicted to teams everyone was expecting, why is it interesting in any way? It's procedural.
                  Last edited by Asher; June 28, 2010, 23:12.

Comment

I'm not sure what draft predictions you are referring to. Was it this year?

There were some 'significant' players who droped a lot, to the surprise of many. There were also players taken well before commonly thought, and a couple of off the board picks.

Also, whereas no first round picks were traded at the deadline last season, a couple were swapped at the draft and in the run up to it.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I don't consider a swap where a team moves up a handful of spots in the first round significant.

Cam Fowler going as 12th overall (or whatever) is also not interesting.

Comment

Edmonton places Patrick O'Sullivan, Robert Nilsson, Ethan Moreau on waivers. Potentially part of the process to buy them out.

Comment

All 3 were just bought out.

It's something like $1.4M against the cap for 3 years now

Comment

They have to clear waivers before they can be bought out. That takes 24 hours. Some team may take them off waivers at noon tomorrow, as unlikely as that may be.

Each of their contracts have a single year left. The buyout amount is a percentage spread over twice the remaining length. The cap hit will be two years and will be a different amount in each year (~1.7 MM then ~1.4 MM according to some sources).
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

I'd heard on Twitter they were already bought out.

Turns out Pierre LeBrun of ESPN jumped the gun. Apparently it's just a formality for them, though. No one will likely claim them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                                Apparently it's just a formality for them, though. No one will likely claim them.

Pretty much, but where did you get three years?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X