Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I figured you'd say that. Maybe you and the rest of the Irish fans will come around after another decade of mediocrity.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Joining the Big Ten does nothing for ND in trying to climb out of mediocrity.

Also, I cross-edited you.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• What's in it for Notre Dame?

The chance to play for something other than the national championship, which Notre Dame is no longer a legitimate contender for. It might also help with recruiting, as I'm not sure what's left of Notre Dame's "mystique" is worth more in the eyes of today's recruits than the chance to play in a BCS conference.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Wouldn't that be an acceptance of mediocrity rather than a way to climb out of mediocrity? ND has no historical reference outside of national championships in this regard. The goal is a national championship. Full stop. Every year.

Every time I hear people talk about ND joining a conference, they have their own teams' interests in mind, not ND's.

Edit: With regard to recruiting, ND has no problem attracting top-notch recruits when it has a good coach. Even Weis was able to enroll a #1 recruiting class.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• How would you guys split up the Big Ten + Notre Dame? The obvious choice is to have a West Division (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, Notre Dame) and an East Division (Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State). The West seems like it would be weaker than the East, but not terribly so. Anyone else have a better idea? Is there some great rivalry that I'm forgetting that would be ruined by this divisional alignment (like Nebraska-Oklahoma)?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Wouldn't that be an acceptance of mediocrity rather than a way to climb out of mediocrity?

Do you really think that playing in a conference like every other good team in the country is a sign of mediocrity?
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• It doesn't gain ND national championships. It's inapplicable in beating SC. So it's beside the point.

Why is a consolation prize valuable to ND?

Comment

• Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a chance to win a few Big Ten titles over the next generation in addition to the zero national titles Notre Dame is going to compete for.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• ND isn't going to gain national championships anyway.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• That matters to Big Ten teams because they can then go to compete in the Rose Bowl (the Big 10 championship really isn't valuable in itself to Big 10 teams, unlike conference championships for teams in some other conferences).

But none of that matters to ND. Just not on the radar. Why are you trying to sell something (Big 10 championship) to ND that nobody associated with the school finds appealing? NB: It's not unappealing. Just not additive.

Comment

• Who's trying to sell you? I think most college football fans would love to see Notre Dame continue to languish in mediocrity as it vainly tries to recapture the glory that left it forever 20 years ago...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Your second sentence makes sense. I can guarantee that the article writer is not an ND fan and does not have the interests of ND at heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            ND isn't going to gain national championships anyway.
                            That may be so, but that possibility doesn't make a Big 10 championship relevant to the discussion.

Comment

• As long as we're throwing out conference realignment ideas that will never happen, how about the Big Ten takes Iowa State as its twelfth member? You guys get a conference championship game and all the extra money that goes with it, Iowa gets an in-state rival, and you get to flip Notre Dame the bird by closing the door to them ever being in the Big Ten (and thereby forcing them into the Big East when NBC decides not to renew its TV contract).

This would allow the Big 12 to drop Baylor and move to a full round-robin schedule like the Pac-10 has, which means Nebraska and Oklahoma get to play every year again! We would also avoid any potential naming controversy, as the Big 10 and Big 12 can just swap names. It's all upside as far as I can see except for the fact that viewers in one conference will still have to watch games against Iowa State.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• What TV territory does Iowa State help the Big 10 with? Damn, you need to pick up your game this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X