Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bill of Particulars is long on Willingham. And quite frankly, it's not something that's fun to rehash, so I won't.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Joining the Big Ten absolutely makes sense for Notre Dame, not only in football but in basketball as well. Of course, attitudes like DanS's is why it will never happen.

I think the Big Ten brass needs to realize that it'll never get the Irish, and instead go for another school. Pitt makes the most sense, both academically and geographically, but I've heard decent arguments for Mizzou, Louisville, and Rutgers. Even Cincinnati wouldn't be a terrible fit, though I don't think they are up to the academic standards of some of the other schools mentioned, or even those of Western Michigan, for that matter.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        Joining the Big Ten absolutely makes sense for Notre Dame, not only in football but in basketball as well. Of course, attitudes like DanS's is why it will never happen.
        Like Drake, you are invited to name all of the good things that conference membership would bring to ND.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Even Cincinnati wouldn't be a terrible fit, though I don't think they are up to the academic standards of some of the other schools mentioned

That's not the deal breaker. The deal breaker is that Ohio State will never allow another Ohio school into the Big Ten. They don't want any competition for in-state recruits, the bastards.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Cincinnati would be an awful fit. They have very little fan support. And their stadium is very small to match the support.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
              Like Drake, you are invited to name all of the good things that conference membership would bring to ND.

Like Drake, I will give the same answer that you have ignored:

It gives the Irish a realistic goal to shoot for, year in, year out. A National Championship is simply not a realistic goal to reach for every year for any school, least of all a school like Notre Dame, where graduation rates must stay near 100%. However, it would not be unrealistic to expect the Irish to compete for a Big Ten title year in, year out. They'd basically be Northwestern with better recruits, and the Wildcats perennially finish with a winning record in conference play.

Contrary to what you think, Dan, the Irish do NOT have a greater pull or a greater mystique with high schoolers today than Florida, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan... At best, their national profile is equal to those traditional powers, if not a step below. Just because they have the NBC contract doesn't mean recruits are watching, or that they want to play for a program that gets such mediocre results.

Notre Dame simply does not have the prestige it once did. By joining a conference--either the Big Ten or the Big East--they could at least gain better results to help build their reputation back up.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I explained clearly why a Big 10 championship would mean nothing to ND while it means something to the current Big 10 members. Going to the Rose Bowl is a big deal to Big 10 and Pac 10 members because of the history involved. But let me be crystal clear. Nobody at ND gives a damn about a Big 10 championship and doesn't see the Rose Bowl in any special light versus, say, the Orange Bowl. You might think it's swell, but it does nothing for us.

Regarding recruits, as stated, even Weis was able to enroll a #1-ranked recruiting class. Weis has repeatedly trounced Michigan in recruiting, as one example. How on Earth would joining the Big 10 help ND recruit in California or Florida?

Please try to think about things from ND's perspective. It's not Michigan's perspective. Nor USC's. Nor Florida's. Nor Oklahoma's.

Comment

• How on Earth would joining the Big 10 help ND recruit in California or Florida?

Recruits want to actually play for something. Currently, it's pretty clear that you're not going to win a national title if you go to Notre Dame and there's nothing else there to play for.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• That's absurd. ND can win a national championship, go to a BCS or other bowl, and beat USC.

Comment

• ND can win a national championship

go to a BCS

This is Notre Dame's one legitimate advantage over other teams. They do have an inordinately easy path to the BCS thanks to their sweetheart deal.

or other bowl

This is pretty much the lowest goal a college football team can shoot for, although it's an appropriately modest one for teams like Notre Dame.

and beat USC.

If a recruit wants to beat USC, he should go to Washington before Notre Dame.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• ND's perspective clearly appears to be delusional. Short term over long term thinking .

They seem to be the British Empire in the mid 1900s, desperately trying to cling to their reputation as everything crumbles around them.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• OK, back to worthwhile topics...

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                          Lastly, don't Oklahomans love him still?

No.
                          I have seen this type of thing happen before. Lou Holtz was fired from ND after a couple tough years (don't know if "fired" is the right word here), even though the alternatives weren't good. I guess it's a matter of "what have you done for me lately" that's both understandable and insane.

Do we have any reason to think that Oklahoma could hire somebody better than Stoops if he left Oklahoma? In my mind, Stoops has proven to be near the top of the top tier.
                          Last edited by DanS; November 24, 2009, 13:39.

Comment

• Holtz wasn't fired. He resigned from a lifetime contract. Remember his wife was diagnosed with cancer after the 1996 season when he left.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Didn't Lou Holtz recently compare the Michigan coach to Hitler?

I've serious doubts about his mental health...
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Lou Holtz was a terrible human being even before he went senile.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X