Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The point is that Iowa State would not increase the value of the BTN and perhaps would lower it. You don't screw around with the $100 million franchise for the $10 million franchise.

If you can find somebody that would undoubtedly add value to the BTN and you also get a championship game, then go for it. I'm not sure anybody besides ND would do that -- that's why the Big 10 is rock hard for ND -- but Rutgers might.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• The point is that Iowa State would not increase the value of the BTN and perhaps would lower it. You don't screw around with the $100 million franchise for the $10 million franchise.

Lower it? How exactly? Are Michigan and Ohio State fans going to cancel their subscription because there's one more patsy in the league?

You're also ignoring the fact that a Big Ten championship game would add value to the Big Ten Network on its own. With a championship game, games between two, three and even four-loss teams that would be ignored today could potentially have divisional title implications and be more lucrative for broadcast. For an example, look to last week's primetime ABC game between 7-3 Nebraska and 6-5 Kansas State...
      Last edited by Drake Tungsten; November 23, 2009, 15:47.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Btw, Urban Meyer has already said he has no interest in the ND job. Smart man.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I bet Bob Stoops has no interest, as well. Why would any coach leave a big-time school in a big-time conference to go coach at a slowly dying relic of a bygone era?
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Yep, just like Saban would not be the coach at Bama. (I have no idea whether Meyer really is interested at this time. Maybe that ship already sailed.)
            Last edited by DanS; November 23, 2009, 15:57.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Re Stoops, few coaches jump from one top-tier school to another, so it would surprise me to see him jump to ND. Further, the ND job is rather family unfriendly because of all of the travel. Lastly, don't Oklahomans love him still?

That said, ND is a bigger stage. The differential is no longer quite so large, but it still exists.

Comment

• Lastly, don't Oklahomans love him still?

No.

That said, ND is a bigger stage.

This is why people hate Notre Dame and its fans; you're completely delusional. Stoops has played in more national title games at Oklahoma in the last five years than Notre Dame has played in the last twenty years.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                  Yep, just like Saban would not be the coach at Bama.
                  Saban went from a relatively unsuccessful NFL coach to a premier college program. That and no one believes Saban because he's lied about jobs plenty times in the past (ask Michigan State, LSU, AND the Dolphins).

If, say, Bobby Petrino said he had no interest in the ND job, we'd all know he was full of ****. Urban Meyer hasn't demonstrated that (I don't recall him ever saying he'd definitely stay at Utah).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• How many Oklahoma games have been broadcast nationwide (truly nationwide) this year?

Comment

• Just out of curiosity, how long before that NBC deal of Notre Dame's runs out?
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Something like 10 years. I'm sure there are out clauses in the contract, though.

Comment

• Just out o curiosity, how long before that NBC deal of Notre Dame's runs out?

How many Oklahoma games have been broadcast nationwide (truly nationwide) this year?

Good thing you got that caveat in there to prevent pwnage.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I do think that the only people who think ND is the premier college football job are ND fans. ND hasn't been that prestigious for at least 10 years!

Comment

• Only 10 years?
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I don't think that's a small caveat. There are a lot of regional coverage games. Even in its best years, Oklahoma gets on national TV only a few times. It just goes with the territory of being part of a conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X