Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XX: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the octopus knows his business and well done Spain thoroughly deserved, and dirty dirty Dutch... if they won I would be really upset given their tacticts for this game = if you know they are better than break their legs. Before the game, I wished Dutch to win, but right now I am really glad they did not... I bet they wished now they were brave losers, at least trying to play the game, than this bunch of losing butchers.

anyhow... Spain and deserved victors.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
      How much did you bet?
      £50 -> £1k.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• I'd like to volunteer to help you celebrate with a pint or two, Dauphin.

Comment

• Great job Spain!!!

Paul the Octopus
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
            Well, thanks to all the diehards here, I am now a fan of World Cup!

My second game I ever watched, very impressive game, Spain, way to go!

Yes, the Spanish play was good advertisement for football. The Dutch added some Kung-Fu touch to it.
            And the referee a bit of incompetence.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Damn octopus
              Damn Spain
              Damn Robben
              F*cking refs

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                £50 -> £1k.

Nice!
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Good work Dauphin.

I'm wondering why people, and not just the Dutch, are moaning about the ref. I thought he did perfectly well - he wasn't in a position to see De Jong's chest high lunge on Alonso properly and give it the red it deserved, so he gave a yellow instead. That's just how football is. There is no third umpire to refer decisions to, so you have to act as you saw. The scrappy nature of the game warranted so many yellow cards, and I can imagine that you might criticise him for not giving more reds, but it's the World Cup final, and if the game was abandoned due to too few players on the pitch then Mr Blatter may (possibly) have said something. He did a decent job, apart from missing the De Jong 'tackle', but dealt with it as his view dictated. It was obviously a foul, just not so bad as it really was from where he was stood.

Good game ref, atrocious game both teams.

At least Saturday's match was entertaining, but it still should have been Ghana!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
                    Well, thanks to all the diehards here, I am now a fan of World Cup!
                    Glad to have you on board, gramps!

Here's my Top 10 goals from the World Cup for everyone to enjoy: http://kennyfromtheblock.com/top-10-...2010-world-cup

Comment

• Originally posted by Zopperoni View Post
                      Glad to have you on board, gramps!

Here's my Top 10 goals from the World Cup for everyone to enjoy: http://kennyfromtheblock.com/top-10-...2010-world-cup
                      I am 51 and trying to be a better more mature poster(EEK!!! Someone please let DaShi know its been quite awhile since posting offensive and disturbing pictures)

I wish I would have watch sooner.

However I am going to purchase a PS3 version of FIFA to get more focused!

Tell me, in some more American genre sports, when a team wins a championship, often videos are made, I was wondering, has ever a World Cup set of matches been recorded for sale on say DVD?

Thanks

Gramps
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Yes, FIFA always releases the OFFICIAL WORLD CUP DVD for an extortionate price that they then pay no tax on, being based in Switzerland. But I'm sure that you can then find a more reasonable, more balanced view from a tv station. For example, FIFA themselves reported on their website that the referee's assistant had judged Frank Lampard's shot against Germany (you know the one ) "not to have crossed the line", neglecting to mention that it was miles over and he was so far wrong as to be wearing a German shirt in the England end. I wouldn't give FIFA any of my money, but that's my problem, and I'm not even an England fan (still gutted that Ghana were robbed, but them's the rules... ).

I wouldn't buy their video, and I'm not sure that buying FIFA 2011 (or whatever they're up to now) will help you enjoy the sport more. In fact, it's more likely to get you thinking: "what the hell kind of pass was that? I'd had put it wide for the unmarked winger to cross", but there we go. Football games have always been fun to play, but rarely teach you much about the sport itself - although I admit that my attempts at a 'Hail Mary pass' convinced me how rare and impossible they are so appreciate it more when they're achieved.

I'm sure that you can get MLS games on some channel (probably one you've already paid for to watch gridiron action), so would recommend that you watch some of them to get a better idea of the sport. Sure, it's a lot lower level than the World Cup, or even any of the European leagues (although I'm pretty sure ESPN has a decent range of league action), so while you may not be getting the skills from the very top players, you'll know what's going on in the games a lot better. Choose a team and support them - football is a lot better that way, and you'll find yourself watching other games to support whoever is playing your rivals.

If you want to follow the US side (do they have a nickname?) then there is a Confederations Cup every 2 years I think, and more World Cup qualifying in only 2, which they should breeze through again, because everyone else in your area is useless, except Mexico.

It's a great game if you're interested in one of the teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york View Post

and the game gets even better if you hate some of the other teams
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• A point I made above. First you start off supporting the opponents of your rivals, and then quickly move on to any team that has beaten you before/whose players have kicked your team's into little pieces without getting sent off/whose fans just annoy the hell out of you (Scum), and then it's serious.

Comment

• Way back yonder, many moons ago, I lettered three years in a row in soccer, I was a striker, loved soccer. This was in high school, I played in the U S ARMY as well.

I just got away from it.

Now, that wasnt professional by any stretch, but really enjoyed the game, I remember we had an ALL Eastern Maine Allstar two years as a forward, it was awesome playing with him, and he was just a high school allstar. I can but imagine the world allstars how great they are.

But, after reading all this hype and pomp and circumstance, listening to others in world football(I remember commenting about NFL and getting schooled about how most of the world views football)

Again, I have read much and am trying to be a better person, not being confrontational but more interactive, my truer colors

Ok, and let the schooling continue.................................

Grandpa Troll
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
                                But what if your favorite player doesn't get selected because he's been out a couple of years due to minor injuries?
                                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                                X