Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XX: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
    So if the US beats Algeria and England beats Slovenia, then US, England & Slovenia each have one win and two ties, right?

No. The US and England would both have one win and two draws, for 5 points. Slovenia would have one win, one draw and one loss, for 4 points.
    Oh yea, duh.

So no matter what happens in the England-Slovenia game, the US will go through if they beat Algeria?

Great to hold their destiny in their own hands. I like our chances.

USA! USA! USA!
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• So no matter what happens in the England-Slovenia game, the US will go through if they beat Algeria?

Yes.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Rubbish from England.

They look unfit, Lampard and Rooney especially. There was no pace in the attack whatsoever...

It's no coincidence that England only started to get anything going when Gerrard came inside and Lennon/SWP starting switching wings. Frankly, there's no point having a great playmaker like Gerrard if you're going to lump him out on the side, and there's no point playing a winger if you're not going to use them or move them about.

Heskey just looks out of place; there's no pace to complement his ability to play as a target man/work horse.

It's probably the worst England team in years. There's nothing wrong with the ability of the players, it's just a case of bad selection/tactics and lack of fitness. No spark, no movement, no fluidity. Just appalling.

The FA may as well have just sent Stoke.

Comment

• If only they had Beckham.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
            If only they had Beckham.
            They may as well have sent him on at half time, he couldn't have done any worse on one leg.

Comment

• :delusionsofanenglandsupporter:

HAHAHA

I understand it all now. The poor play was a part of a plan to only be second in group C thereby avoiding an early confrontation with "Germany" who may also come in second in group D.

HAHAHA

Its all coming clear now.

:/delusionsofanenglandsupporter:
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• I wonder if Europe will cave in on itself if England, France, Spain and Germany fail to make it out of the first round.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Certainly not me. I'd laugh. Although I have more sympathy for the Germans than the others I can see the humor in their failure too.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves and potentially jinx a good thing...

Comment

• Originally posted by Frozzy View Post

The FA may as well have just sent Stoke.
                    do they have 11 english players?
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                      Please tell me this is/was genuine.
                      well that is typically English, if it is no Brazil or Argentina, perhaps Germans/Italians the opponents are "not worthy" attitude, everyone should surrender before the mighty move their finger.

They'll be in the final still: Capello.
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                        do they have 11 english players?
                        They have Rory Delap with his absurdly dangerous long throws which England could have used tonight, but despite being born in England he played for Ireland.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          18-6-3
                          2-14-8
                          7-4-10-21

Or even:

2-3
                          18-14-8-6
                          7-4-10-21

Or:

2-18-6-3
                          7-14-8-4
                          10-21
                          What?

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                            I understand it all now. The poor play was a part of a plan to only be second in group C thereby avoiding an early confrontation with "Germany" who may also come in second in group D.
                            They'll also avoid Germany if they finish third.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frozzy View Post
                              They'll also avoid Germany if they finish third.
                              At this point they might want to gear up for Ghana or Serbia. Or get a flight home.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• US

Took the day off work today to watch the matches at the local pub (but not Serbia-Germany as that starts at 7:30 AM EST). We were SOOOO dejected at the half of US v. Slovenia, but the 2nd half was absolutely amazing for the US, and we were robbed of outright victory. Now only if we can get that fire lit at the beginning of a match, instead of when we are down.

And England was a disgrace. No passion at all... though Algeria must be given credit as well.

Oh, and Ben trying to discuss formations was right now (a "standard" 3-4-3?!)
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X