Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread XX: Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so it's mid-afternoon Sunday in Chicago. So far...

Matches = 7
    Ties = 3
    Total goals scored = 9
    Most total goals in a match = 2
    Most goals scored, one team = 2
    Matches in which both teams scored = 2
    Matches involving a shutout = 5

Now, I understand there can be plenty of excitement without a lot of scoring, but this is ridiculous.

I'm a sports fan, and I'm pretty old. I used to do a lot of business in Europe and South/Central America, so I gave "football" a chance -- for a couple decades. Bottom line is, this sport is slow and boring -- especially when the stakes are high. For the life of me, I cannot see how people get so wrapped up in it. The only thing it has going for it is the running clock.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• 1. International football < top European club football
      2. World Cup always starts slowly
      3. You're whining in the wrong thread. There's another one for that.

Comment

• Germany looked decent, albeit against a poor Aussie side. It looks like the two from that group are settled.

Germany & Argentina are the best sides so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          1. International football < top European club football
          2. World Cup always starts slowly
          3. You're whining in the wrong thread. There's another one for that.

You're welcome.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I think it's tongue in cheek but who knows?

Comment

• "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Quality headline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                  Germany looked decent, albeit against a poor Aussie side. It looks like the two from that group are settled.

Germany & Argentina are the best sides so far.
                  Truth. Germany's offense was top notch, but we'll have to see them play someone other than the Aussies.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The worrying thing about Germany is that they look more composed and better at the back than in Euro 2008 (even if they were lucky to make the final then). The Australia game was very reminiscent of when they tonked Saudi Arabia 8-0 in 2002, scoring as they could have 6 or 7 goals last night. Odds on a German appearance in the final should have shortened a fair bit I think.

I'm disappointed with Australia, they should have been a better side but looked appalling in warmups so I'm not surprised. They'll struggle to make the 2nd round now unless they really turn around and beat Ghana, who look fairly impressive.

Comment

• More England - USA craziness. Here's a lego recreation. Must watch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Frozzy View Post
                        The worrying thing about Germany is that they look more composed and better at the back than in Euro 2008 (even if they were lucky to make the final then). The Australia game was very reminiscent of when they tonked Saudi Arabia 8-0 in 2002, scoring as they could have 6 or 7 goals last night. Odds on a German appearance in the final should have shortened a fair bit I think.

I'm disappointed with Australia, they should have been a better side but looked appalling in warmups so I'm not surprised. They'll struggle to make the 2nd round now unless they really turn around and beat Ghana, who look fairly impressive.
                        The Aussies look like they'll quickly go out. Ghana looks very good and Serbia is no slouch either.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Frozzy View Post
                          Quality headline.

New York Post
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• More like, "the greatest tie, since Francis Scott Key", and I would have laughed.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• ...since Lancer's wife? (they're in the Phillipines or Singapore aren't they? Damn, a good joke spoiled)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                The Aussies look like they'll quickly go out. Ghana looks very good and Serbia is no slouch either.
                                Serbia really started showing what they could do once they were down to ten men. Having a player sent off often galvanises a team, and for the first time since the start of the game they looked capable of scoring, but then that muppet gave away a stupid penalty and probably put his team out of the tournament.

If England and USA qualify from their group they'll both have a tricky game in the second round. Neither stand a chance against Germany IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X